Neil Lennon Trial

Big Man

Not sure if I'm reading the report right but it suggests the assault charge against him was not proven and he was only found guilty of Breach of the Peace.

If this is right and as he was seen on TV making contact with Lennon it makes it all the funnier. :hysterical:

More likely sloppy reporting though. :ThumbsDown:

Not sure if I'm reading the report right but it suggests the assault charge against him was not proven and he was only found guilty of Breach of the Peace.

If this is right and as he was seen on TV making contact with Lennon it makes it all the funnier. :hysterical:

No you're right Monkey.

''In scotland we can have jurors who can't read, can't write, can't count and may be full of prejudices - we will need to revisit this issue''

- Paul McBride QC tonight:

:hysterical:

Rent-a-quote opens his mouth and lets his belly rumble. :hysterical:

the crown didnt put enough evidence across to prove that the assault was religiously motivated, causing the not proven. had the charge only been for assault without that element they would have got the guilty

idiots!

Don't think that was the issue as he was found guilty of the breach of the peace but the jury took out the bit in that charge about it being religiously motivated so they could of done the same with the assault charge if they wanted.

The best bit about it appears to be that the boy's lawyer tells the jury that he accepts assaulting Lennon and tried to plead guilty to it but without it being religiously motivated but the crown would not accept that plea. And despite this they still find him not proven. :dontknow:

read elsewhere that the charge of racially motivated assault was dropped but the hearts fan was happy to plead guilty to assault. not sure if thats true or not.

others wanted the racially motivated charge but the jury didn't agree and quite right too.

the crown didnt put enough evidence across to prove that the assault was religiously motivated, causing the not proven. had the charge only been for assault without that element they would have got the guilty

idiots!

Na according to one of our solicitors in glasgow who knows a clerk at the court: The jury retired, came back and asked the Sherrif if it was O.K. to delete the aggravation parts from both charges on the indictment. She said yes, obviously thinking they would go ahead and find him guilty of both charges with deletions, and they came back with a not proven on the assault....

It was an open and shut job. A monkey could of presented that case and got an assault conviction.

Im glad he got off with it though, it sends a powerful message to the crown....

McBride is correct in a way about the jury system, it should be a voluntary thing for people who like that kind of thing, I wouldn't want to do it.

I dunno about that. Lay people/random strangers are always make the best jurors. If you get people signing up/voluteering then you'll get the court junkie amateur lawyer types applying, who watch too much judge john deed - that would be dangerous. I would question the sanity of anyone who wants to do jury service voluntarily.

You should be judged by 15 your random peers (men and woman) - Its a testament to our criminal justice system that we have juries that are allowed to decide cases completely on their own. In other countries a judge might of directed the jury to find him guilty...

Na according to one of our solicitors in glasgow who knows a clerk at the court: The jury retired, came back and asked the Sherrif if it was O.K. to delete the aggravation parts from both charges on the indictment. She said yes, obviously thinking they would go ahead and find him guilty of both charges with deletions, and they came back with a not proven on the assault....

It was an open shut job. A monkey could of presented that case and got an assault conviction.

Im glad he got off with it though, it sends a powerful message to the crown....

I dunno about that. Lay people/random strangers are always make the best jurors. If you get people signing up/voluteering then you'll get the court junkie amateur lawyer types applying, who watch too much judge john deed - that would be dangerous. I would question the sanity of anyone who wants to do jury service voluntarily.

You should be judged by 15 your random peers (men and woman) - Its a testament to our criminal justice system that we have juries that are allowed to decide cases completely on their own. In other countries a judge might of directed the jury to find him guilty...

There's nothing wrong with the concept of having a right to a trial, "Judged by a jury of your peers."

The real issue, for me, is that "peers" are nothing more than "A bunch of other humans."

Its a testament to our criminal justice system that we have juries that are allowed to decide cases completely on their own. In other countries a judge might of directed the jury to find him guilty...

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I told you, sarcasm doesnt suit.

(This isnt saying he was innocent before that wormcan is opened) The judge at Mark Simpson's trial told the jury, in so many words, that he was guilty, go and find this animal guilty and then I'll throw away the key.

• Admin

I see the tabloids this morning are spinning it as some sort of injustice, yet conveniently ignoring the sectarian aspect of the assault.

On their front page, the scottish sun ran with a picture of the incident and the headline: "So what part of this is NOT an assault on Neil Lennon?", um, the part where you ignored the whole aggravated by religious prejudice part you bias pricks, and inside a two page spread, a quick skim it's not even mentioned.

It was the correct verdict, but the wrong charge. You do have to wonder why the jury didn't just delete the religious prejudice part though, unless all of them wanted to make the ticks even more paranoid for a laugh.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of having a right to a trial, "Judged by a jury of your peers."

The real issue, for me, is that "peers" are nothing more than "A bunch of other humans."

What kind of system would you propose then?

A minimum IQ for jurors for example....

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I told you, sarcasm doesnt suit.

(This isnt saying he was innocent before that wormcan is opened) The judge at Mark Simpson's trial told the jury, in so many words, that he was guilty, go and find this animal guilty and then I'll throw away the key.

What are you talking about spam i wasn't being sarcastic.

Jury nullification is a sacred and ancient right not to be messed with lightly. Scotland is famous for it.

http://en.wikipedia....y_nullification

What are you talking about spam i wasn't being sarcastic.

Jury nullification is a sacred and ancient right not to be messed with lightly. Scotland is famous for it.

http://en.wikipedia....y_nullification

I'm talking about the Mark Simpson trial, thought that was clear from the comment.

Have you read the judges closing statement to the jury? Read it, then you'll know why I said you must be being sarcastic :thumbup1:

I'm talking about the Mark Simpson trial, thought that was clear from the comment.

Have you read the judges closing statement to the jury? Read it, then you'll know why I said you must be being sarcastic :thumbup1:

Do you mean mark simpson the alledged child killer? Then no i haven't...

• Admin

How practical would that be? I did Jury duty when i was 18 and was quite pissed off that i had to miss a few classes from uni due to it. Adding an IQ test would add expense and waste even more of people's time. Although, it would be quite an easy get-out-clause by feigning retardeness.

How practical would that be? I did Jury duty when i was 18 and was quite pissed off that i had to miss a few classes from uni due to it. Adding an IQ test would add expense and waste even more of people's time. Although, it would be quite an easy get-out-clause by feigning retardeness.

Not very, im just throwin it out there to stimulate discussion. Minimum number of highers then...

Lucky b*stard - iv'e always wanted to do jury duty.

How long did it last? Did you not claim expenses? What was the food like?

Do you mean mark simpson the alledged child killer? Then no i haven't...

nothing alleged about it and yes I do.

The judge led the jury to their verdict by the short and curlies. Remember discussing it with mother before the jury came back. The judge's closing remarks were printed in the papers, we both said that we expect an appeal because of them, they were extremely leading. Cant find them online, was going to link them.

• Admin

Not very, im just throwin it out there to stimulate discussion. Minimum number of highers then...

Lucky b*stard - iv'e always wanted to do jury duty.

How long did it last? Did you not claim expenses? What was the food like?

Lasted two days. I claimed bus fares and the courts paid for the jurors to have lunch in Five, just off the castle gate.