Where Will We Finish This Season Now?

Well, we have the squad, barring the unemployed joining us. Where do folk now think we'll we end up?

I, foolishly now I think, thought we'd get more out of this window than we did and really can't see this squad ending up in the top half, I'll hope for a 7th or 8th but a bad run or injuries could easily see us much lower.

A lucky cup run would be nice - but frankly undeserved - not feeling very optimistic.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we have the squad, barring the unemployed joining us. Where do folk now think we'll we end up?

I, foolishly now I think, thought we'd get more out of this window than we did and really can't see this squad ending up in the top half, I'll hope for a 7th or 8th but a bad run or injuries could easily see us much lower.

A lucky cup run would be nice - but frankly undeserved - not feeling very optimistic.

If we're lucky with injuries and suspensions then 7th or 8th is possible.

Otherwise... i dread to think! I'd say only caley are worse off than us at the moment - but there's not much in it. Hibs have some good players and will pick up as soon as they get rid of that clown Calderwood. Wouldn't surprise me if we finished 10th or 11th.

13TH

Any chance of the lottery numbers for Saturday?

How anyone can say something is undeserved when we're at the last 16 stage of one cup, and not even f**king entered yet in the other one is beyond me.

• Site Sponsor

10th

If we have our annual injury plague, anywhere from 8th to 11th. A lot closer to bottom than last year either way. We just can't keep most our players fit for a whole season!

First 11 is not too bad, lacks any creativity though, bar Pawlett but Brown seems to like to start him on the bench. Defensively we're not too strong either though, RB is jusrt asking for someone to run at it. :suicide:

This has got to be the most ridiculous statment I have ever read on AFC-Chat.

How can you know in advance if a cup run is undeserved or not?

Simply we have had a few seasons of actually quite straightforward cup runs and avoided teams that should knock us out until quite late on (that being said we've lost to teams we shouldn't) - so we're "due" to meet the old firm (or better SPL teams) in earlier rounds and disappear from the competition. We've done less well in the cup than we should in the last few years hence being undeserving of a fortunate run - I'd take it if we got it though.

You are basically saying that any run in the cup we have is undeserved...what a pile of sh*te.

Read what I said - we have been lucky in our draws and have lost out to teams that we would say were less able than we are in the past few seasons. We could easily draw the old firm and get knocked out of cups early - or meet SPL teams and get past them - a challenging run in to the cup. We've been knocked out of cups by lower division teams - getting a "good" draw and not making the most of it. The balance of probability is that we will sometimes get an easier run through to winning the cup, sometimes harder - and sometimes we won't win the cup becuase we meet teams that are better than us and sometimes because we do not play to our potential and get beaten by teams thar are more commited or better/luckier on the day.

We have I think, and you are free to differ if you wish, had a good series of cup runs in the last few years yet have not gone as far as a team even of our ability should have done. By saying undeserved I suimply implied that the given our good run of draws at some point this will end and we'll play the bigot brohters in the 4th round or draw Hearts away and that will unfortunately in all probability be that for the cup run.

We've been lucky with recent cup runs, we have done less well with that luck than we should, it is unlikely to continue. In a wonderful world I'd love us to meet and dispose of both the ugly sisters on the way to hammer the Jutes 8-0 in the Scottish Cup Final. We'd be deserved winners. I don't think given our performance that we'd deserve a lucky cup draw never seeing an SPL side until the Scottish Cup Final? As I said, I'd take it if we got it, that's the way luck works after all; some folk would quibble about anything.

Read what I said - we have been lucky in our draws and have lost out to teams that we would say were less able than we are in the past few seasons. We could easily draw the old firm and get knocked out of cups early - or meet SPL teams and get past them - a challenging run in to the cup. We've been knocked out of cups by lower division teams - getting a "good" draw and not making the most of it. The balance of probability is that we will sometimes get an easier run through to winning the cup, sometimes harder - and sometimes we won't win the cup becuase we meet teams that are better than us and sometimes because we do not play to our potential and get beaten by teams thar are more commited or better/luckier on the day.

We have I think, and you are free to differ if you wish, had a good series of cup runs in the last few years yet have not gone as far as a team even of our ability should have done. By saying undeserved I suimply implied that the given our good run of draws at some point this will end and we'll play the bigot brohters in the 4th round or draw Hearts away and that will unfortunately in all probability be that for the cup run.

We've been lucky with recent cup runs, we have done less well with that luck than we should, it is unlikely to continue. In a wonderful world I'd love us to meet and dispose of both the ugly sisters on the way to hammer the Jutes 8-0 in the Scottish Cup Final. We'd be deserved winners. I don't think given our performance that we'd deserve a lucky cup draw never seeing an SPL side until the Scottish Cup Final? As I said, I'd take it if we got it, that's the way luck works after all; some folk would quibble about anything.

Big difference between LUCKY and UNDESERVED though. Just because a team is lucky enough not to have to face one of the old firm, doesn't mean they are undeserved winners! You can only beat the teams you are faced with.

Big difference between LUCKY and UNDESERVED though. Just because a team is lucky enough not to have to face one of the old firm, doesn't mean they are undeserved winners! You can only beat the teams you are faced with.

For the final time as clearly I'm having difficulty explaining this - we have been quite lucky over the past few years in the draws and have not made as much of that luck as perhaps we should have done. On the basis we don't deserve yet another lucky draw but I'd be happy to take it if we got it, as you say you can only beat the queens of the south (though will concede we beat paranoid fc earlier in that run) and dunfermlines that you are drawn against. Whoever holds the cup at the end of the season deserves it; whether they deserved an easy run is another matter. You are debating a point I really wasn't raising.

I'll go for 5th coz we aren't as bad as has been made out but that really

depends on getting lucky with injuries coz the squad is simply too small

and inexperienced.

I think 5th aswell.

Even with McGhees shocking first half of the season results we were still in the hunt for the top 6 Feb/March

God,that is anybodys guess.

Noticed a few people mention injuries. Is it worth asking ourselves that we've had the same physio for 20+ years? Players seem to come to Aberdeen and be injury prone,go elsewhere and be fine? Wtf is up with that?

We have a good run of games coming up,where raking up points is possible. Should tell us more.