Tommy Wright

How I loathed him when he was with us. Brutal player with no ability and a complete danger to other players with his elbows and potentially leg breaking tackles. He has now been released by Darlington.

Darlington boss Mark Cooper says the quality of strikers within his squad was behind the decision to part company with Tommy Wright this week.

The 26-year-old had failed to make an appearance this season, with strikers Ryan Bowman, James Walshaw and John Campbell ahead in the selection order.

"I couldn't see him playing in the team," Cooper told BBC Tees.

"He's fit, his attitude is fine but the forwards we've got are more mobile and a better bet for where we're going."

Wright returned to Darlington in June 2010, but has been limited to 21 league appearances in that time, scoring four goals.

Prior to that move the Leicester-born forward had been with Aberdeen and Grimsby.

In contrast to losing Wright and Charlton signing Michael Smith, Cooper was able to strengthen in the shape of Spanish defender Jonathan Sanchez-Munoz, and is happy with the depth of his squad.

"The boys realise they've got to be at the top of their game to keep players out, we're not going to achieve what we want to with just 11 players," Cooper added.

"We've got to have competition for places, people have commented on the players we had on the bench the other day.

"If we are going to succeed we have to have that competition, but you look at Luton - they can go out and spend

yeah what is it he done??

LOVED him, personally

I was told at the time that he was never able to keep his nose clean. A few of the players had found out about his "habbit" and grassed him up, thus getting him the boot from us. Dont know how reliable that was, but that was what i was told anyway.

I was told at the time that he was never able to keep his nose clean. A few of the players had found out about his "habbit" and grassed him up, thus getting him the boot from us. Dont know how reliable that was, but that was what i was told anyway.

Regardless if true or not he'd of been given the boot as he was utter utter tripe.

A poor mans Nigel Pepper and he was p!sh too.

Teams need a bit of steel but from a player who knows how to do the dirty work in an efficient way.

Nae they moronic way Tommy Shyte went about it.

wish more of our players had the dig he had

was just immense finally seeing a player in a dons shirt who took NO sh*t

quite possibly the worst pound for pound signing in afc history. in fact, scrap that. THE worst pound for pound signing in Afc history. Very well may have took no sh*t, but couple that with having absolutey no footballing talent whatsoever.

quite possibly the worst pound for pound signing in afc history. in fact, scrap that. THE worst pound for pound signing in Afc history. Very well may have took no sh*t, but couple that with having absolutey no footballing talent whatsoever.

Still have no idea WTF our scouts were doing recommending this c**t. Absolutely f**king horrific player.

• 5 months later...

Found his level down in the conference with Forest Green, he's just scored.

That signing still gives me nightmares.

Same here. Utterly horrendous excuse of a player

Aye, Geoff just reminded us that he was a former England U21 cap! :o

By Christ he was terrible.

WTF???? Who was the manager at that time? :o

Was it the drugs or what? Just baffling how bad he was.

No he was just that shite