Aberdeen Youth

The AFC Dundee centre was based in Gardyne (?) College and I'm led to believe because of the amount of boys involved it was not cost effective. As far as I'm aware, the few boys that trained there now commute to Aberdeen

Cheers for the info on this one.

Quite good video here on Dundee Utd

Cheers for the info on this one.

Quite good video here on Dundee Utd

Interesting stuff. Aberdeen's 14's now do a similar thing but they are taken out of school on a different day each week so they are not missing the same subject all the time. From what I've been told, Aberdeen want,from next year,to have all the kids involved in the academy to follow a similar route to what united have there. There a long way from making it happen in my opinion.

Interesting stuff. Aberdeen's 14's now do a similar thing but they are taken out of school on a different day each week so they are not missing the same subject all the time. From what I've been told, Aberdeen want,from next year,to have all the kids involved in the academy to follow a similar route to what united have there. There a long way from making it happen in my opinion.

Everyone I know in youth football think its a great idea, whats your thoughts? I think the government should be putting funding behind it instead of wasting money on their anti sectarian drivel

Everyone I know in youth football think its a great idea, whats your thoughts? I think the government should be putting funding behind it instead of wasting money on their anti sectarian drivel

From my perspective I think it's a great idea and where possible clubs have to try and make it happen. My circumstances are completely different to many others though. I stay in Aberdeen and have one child. How does, for example, Kev Norris, get one kid to nursery, two to primary school in Peterhead, and Aaron, who plays for the 13's, to academy in Aberdeen every morning? Maybe some parents wouldn't be happy putting their kid on a 100 mile round bus trip on their own. Does the club collect them, drop them off at night? I would doubt it. Massive hurdles to overcome and sacrifices would have to be made but if we are to go more down the European model, then solutions and compromises have to be found.

From my perspective I think it's a great idea and where possible clubs have to try and make it happen. My circumstances are completely different to many others though. I stay in Aberdeen and have one child. How does, for example, Kev Norris, get one kid to nursery, two to primary school in Peterhead, and Aaron, who plays for the 13's, to academy in Aberdeen every morning? Maybe some parents wouldn't be happy putting their kid on a 100 mile round bus trip on their own. Does the club collect them, drop them off at night? I would doubt it. Massive hurdles to overcome and sacrifices would have to be made but if we are to go more down the European model, then solutions and compromises have to be found.

Surely the club could provide use of one of its mini buses to collect kids from the rail/bus station if this was ever an issue, sounds like a fantastic scheme United are trying.

St Mirren are doing all the right things .... they beat our Youth team 5-4 on Sunday ..... And looked a LOT better than us ...

Goes to show that Motherwell \ St Mirren and Falkirk are doing something good.

Our boys played St Mirren on Saturday and they couldn't live at times with some of the football AFC played. To be fair to them they always tried to play football from the back with evryone being comfortable on the ball. The real difference though is that the 12's have a two or three flair players who in flow are very hard to stop and can put the ball away. Then I watched the 13's against St Mirren on Sunday. Was something like 9-2 St Mirren and there was a huge gulf between the two teams, and a near 6 foot striker was amost unplayable. We've all saw a huge loon at certain age groups who stands out because of his size but isn't actually any good. But this young boy could play.

On the flip side, the 14's on the next pitch stuck 5 or 6 past their counterparts.

• Site Sponsor

Perhaps the business community could get involved.

Dundee United seem to be having some luck lately too.... Goodwillie has just come through, Jonny Russell looks like he could be something special too, while Scott Allan has been the recent subject of a fair bit of hype.

Not forgeting Stuart Armstrong aswell. An Aberdeen lad, played football with him when we were younger. Cracking player, id expect him to become a first team regular.

Agreed, logistics of juggling a pro club, boys club and school football are a nightmare. My youngest is 6 days a week but my oldest hates football with a passion. Not easy to manage and the pro club just expect you to do as told.

Chris Clark along with another club employee are doing a training session at the boys club in Buckie the morns night, and AFC have invited the P1 + P2 kids to the Aberdeen V Rangers game late October as guests of AFC.

Pro-active at least.

Agreed. Well done to them for that.

Aberdeen should do that on a rotaional basis for all the schools in the City, Shire and other outlying areas.

Get the Merkland filled out and dish out free scarves to the kids initially. Make it a great day out for the kids. They are the future fans after all.