Chapelton Of Elsick

Podge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-14825343

http://www.elsick.co.uk/

Is this old news that I've just not heard about? How on earth can they keep on building all these new houses, are folk moving to Aberdeenshire from elsewhere in Scotland? I thought there was bugger all jobs going around? Or is everyone just upping sticks and moving to new build houses and trying to sell old ones?

Haven't you been hearing the news this week about how housing supply is not keeping up with demand?

I don't get it either - recession, paying back the deficit, mortagages harder to get and inmcreasingly becoming the preserve of the rich, yet more houses are needed to be built?

I suppose a fair few will be social housing though

We're obsessed with owning a hoose in the UK.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/geographyAndEnvironment/research/London/pdf/SocialHousingInEurope.pdf

Prior to thatcher we had a larger percentage of people living in "government housing" (ie cooncil) than in Communist Poland!

thatcher conned the masses into buying their own little home stead and thus she destroyed the unions at the same time as people were unlikely to strike when their their homes are at risk.

Canna get a hoose? Blame maggie and yer short sighted elders.

Haven't you been hearing the news this week about how housing supply is not keeping up with demand?

I don't get it either - recession, paying back the deficit, mortagages harder to get and inmcreasingly becoming the preserve of the rich, yet more houses are needed to be built?

I suppose a fair few will be social housing though

Its simply because folk are living much longer. 20-30 years ago you'd move out when your grandparents generation were dying, so there would be a recycling of property from the old to young. That doesn't happen now because people leave home earlier and live longer.

We're obsessed with owning a hoose in the UK.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/geographyAndEnvironment/research/London/pdf/SocialHousingInEurope.pdf

Prior to thatcher we had a larger percentage of people living in "government housing" (ie cooncil) than in Communist Poland!

thatcher conned the masses into buying their own little home stead and thus she destroyed the unions at the same time as people were unlikely to strike when their their homes are at risk.

Canna get a hoose? Blame maggie and yer short sighted elders.

nae just her, got to blame the female working thing as well. When the wimmen stayed home to look after the young uns the family income was a lot less and with that hoose prices were also a lot less, people didnt have the silly money to chuck round. Now with 2 incomes families push the price up of houses because they can. Prices have risen 20 fold in 30 years and thats with 2 bad recessions, an oil price war with the Arabs and a housing and mortgage slump but the average wage has only went up 5 fold so the extra cash to buy houses has came from the female work force.

The UK really has to sort out the rental market though... you cant actually live in the house you rent these days. Sick to death of seeing 6 month leases with no smoking, no pets, no DSS, no eating in the living room, 1m quid fine for dirtying a 20 quid flee ridden carpet and all the rest of the crap they stipulate before you rent somewhere all for the sum of £650 a month for a bedsit. In Europe the renter is protected, they have rights, most places are rented out with no or minimal furniture and the minimum lease is 12 months on a rolling contract. In Holland if your landlord wants you out he has to pay you 3 months rent so you can put down the deposit etc for the next place. In Germany its very similar and in France its even more secure, renters in France have more rights than owners.

I doubt I'll buy here again for a long time but luckily I've found a long term pad I can smoke in and my dog can live with me but it wsnt easy.

• 2 years later...

THE building of Scotland’s biggest new town in a generation was to get under way today.

Chapelton, five miles south of Aberdeen, will eventually provide 8,000 homes.
A new school and health centre will be built within the next five years at the £2 billion town at Elsick.