Last Night Of The Proms

NorthernLights24

Hurry up and get off the TV so we can all watch Match of the Day. I'd imagine all the huns having a massive hard on watching this will all its Rule Britannia shite.

I agree with what this guy here said... the 'proms' should be renamed Outdated Wankery.

Last Night of the Outdated Wankery that has zero relevance to my interests and it can fuck off.

It can fuck off.

Ghastly. A really fucking grisly spectacle. "Rule Britannia" - look, that pish might have had some relevance when it was true and Britain had a fuck-off great empire which spanned half the globe. But now, when Britain has been reduced to a pointless, daft, bankrupt wee island in the north atlantic with zero international influence, it's just really, really embarrassing.

You'd like to think that the whole LNOTP nonsense would have been quietly put to bed now, but it somehow manages to drag its sorry carcass on and on into the 21st century. Clearly we still need a few retired colonels who earned their medals subjugating 'the brown people' to snuff it, and then hopefully we can remove this appalling blight from the summer schedule. And replace it with something which doesn't make everyone in Britain, even those of us actively campaigning NOT to be British, look like a bunch of dicks.

Ghastly. A really fucking grisly spectacle. "Rule Britannia" - look, that pish might have had some relevance when it was true and Britain had a fuck-off great empire which spanned half the globe. But now, when Britain has been reduced to a pointless, daft, bankrupt wee island in the north atlantic with zero international influence, it's just really, really embarrassing.

You'd like to think that the whole LNOTP nonsense would have been quietly put to bed now, but it somehow manages to drag its sorry carcass on and on into the 21st century. Clearly we still need a few retired colonels who earned their medals subjugating 'the brown people' to snuff it, and then hopefully we can remove this appalling blight from the summer schedule. And replace it with something which doesn't make everyone in Britain, even those of us actively campaigning NOT to be British, look like a bunch of dicks.

Try switching off or changing channels , it's an annual event that's not going to go away soon. This is apparent because it gets bigger and more popular( fashionable ) every year.

Most people are there for the music , not the politics , and most of the composers and some of the musicians will be remembered long after the current trendsetters have disappeared off the radar.

Henry Wood started it 147(?) years ago , days when there was no radio , tv or downloading to mp3 players. He brought music to the people at an affordable price , prising it away from the clutches of the elite...and it is still affordable today( tickets start at

I never saw it, but would love to go.

Quite like seeing classical music performed live.

See that's the thing i like classical music too, well i have a very eclectic musical taste, but i just fail to see the point of the whole pageantry that surrounds this event. Was thinking it must cost a fair bit to setup the thing every year?

Try switching off or changing channels , it's an annual event that's not going to go away soon. This is apparent because it gets bigger and more popular( fashionable ) every year.

Most people are there for the music , not the politics , and most of the composers and some of the musicians will be remembered long after the current trendsetters have disappeared off the radar.

Henry Wood started it 147(?) years ago , days when there was no radio , tv or downloading to mp3 players. He brought music to the people at an affordable price , prising it away from the clutches of the elite...and it is still affordable today( tickets start at

This

I have watched it since i was a small kid and have attended the last night at the albert hall on 2 occasions, if all you see is rule britannia, god save the queen and as some of you narrow minded fools have put "hunnery" you need to give yourselves a wake up call and crawl out of your "we are aberdeen and anyone with a union jack is a hun" tunnel vision holes

+10.

I am both an avid listener and a performer of classical music, and if you had bothered to read my post, you will note that I made no mention of a dislike of the music itself (Rule Britannia and GSTQ I can live without, for reasons too obvious to require an explanation). My gripe is precisely about the politics of it, and I'm sorry but I'm not buying the 'people aren't there for the politics' angle at all. At the very least, simply by being there they are implicitly endorsing a nostalgic (anachronistic) view of Britain itself. And it's one that I can certainly live without.

Living just outside Edinburgh I have enjoyed much classical music throughout the recent festivals (feel free to send me a PM if you're interested, I'd be happy to detail some of the better concerts I went to). Tickets for all concerts cost around