Travelling

Geoff_Tipps

Always said to myself I would go travelling once i left uni before persuing my career although 7 years have passed since graduating and I still haven't gone away. I have decided as I am approaching 30 I should get myself sorted and go next year.

Planning on going March April time and will probably go for around 6 months, can't go longer as my brother gets married next Autumn and I'm the best man.

I was thinking the best way to do it would be get a round the world ticket and just see how it goes. Has anyone ever used these tickets before?

Anyone also got any experience on travelling and how much money I should try and safe for this, I am happy enough hostelling rather than hotels etc. Ideally looking to do Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Nepal and West Coast America.

Any advice would be useful.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always said to myself I would go travelling once i left uni before persuing my career although 7 years have passed since graduating and I still haven't gone away. I have decided as I am approaching 30 I should get myself sorted and go next year.

Planning on going March April time and will probably go for around 6 months, can't go longer as my brother gets married next Autumn and I'm the best man.

I was thinking the best way to do it would be get a round the world ticket and just see how it goes. Has anyone ever used these tickets before?

Anyone also got any experience on travelling and how much money I should try and safe for this, I am happy enough hostelling rather than hotels etc. Ideally looking to do Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Nepal and West Coast America.

Hit Europe, buy one of those european rail ticket things and go from west to east....

id stay clear of Australia...thats my own opinion.

failing that travel across America.

I did Australia, NZ and Thailand a few years ago, my brother did a lot more a year or so ago.

For 6 months which isn't that long, I recomend a round world flight prob stopping at Bangkok/KL, Perth, Sydney, NZ, LA and New York

Depends what your looking for but if I was going again i'd spend about 3 months in South East Asia (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Veitnam) - much cheaper there and lot more intersting things to see and places to get drunk! Use the buses/trains to get about and a few internal flights on airasia.com

Aus is nice but all it is is really the UK with sunshine, Sydney is nice city to visit for a few days and have heard Perth is supposed to be quality but I wouldn't spend too long maybe a month in total.

I really like NZ, did a months bus tour round both islands, lots of crazy things to do and see.

Could possibly stop in Fiji/Cook islands for chiiling on a beach

Then LA (i've never been but fancy going) and finish in New York which is amazing.

Having said all that i'd love to spend 6 months travelling in South America as well!

Eastern Europe in the summer. :checkit: Balkan Resorts are magic in summer. Cheap and great history. Start in Hamburg and head east.

Never fancied Oz and did South America instead.

Only tips; don't always go for the cheapest option!

A fine sleep or a 5 hour less journey at better times is worth an extra couple of quid.

And do your own thing.

To go and get hearded about wi some middle class kids is a waste of time.

Have heard Australia's expensive.

It is expensive now that the pound is utter sh1t!

Was great when I first went years back... over 4 dollars to the pound..... not even 2 now. :suicide:

Perth is good for a few days, is like a mini Scotland though.

Sydney is great, I visit my brother there quite a lot..... but you really want to go up the coast and do the Great Barrier Reef / Whitsunday Islands / Fraser Island.

New Zealand is AMAZING! That is all I need to say.

Spend the entire time in Asia, money goes further, every female wants to have sex with you because you are a whiteman(for a fee of course) and there are places where they will let you shoot cows with an assortment of weapons.

Food is ace, weather is good and every female wants to have sex(for a fee)

Emm, thats about it, did i mention the hoors and the sex?

The fee can be just to hing aboot and get board and lodgings for a day or two.

:thumbs:

Spend the entire time in Asia, money goes further, every female wants to have sex with you because you are a whiteman(for a fee of course) and there are places where they will let you shoot cows with an assortment of weapons.

Food is ace, weather is good and every female wants to have sex(for a fee)

Emm, thats about it, did i mention the hoors and the sex?

Yes but you failed to mention most of the chicks with dicks are also smoking and want to have sex with you which isn't as bad as it sounds. :spunk:

Have heard Australia's expensive.

Often thought about doing similar.

Not sure on a route.

I'd probably go something like...

SE Asia - Hong Kong - Oz - NZ - LA/San Diego/Vegas- Hame.

Would be hooring dear though.

Australia is generally pretty expensive, but it depends on what your goals are... if you're looking for a bit of sun, sea, scenery and surf and you're willing to stay in hostels then you could probably do australia on a shoe-string and have a great time.

However, if you're a party animal it's going to be expensive. A pint of beer costs the equivalent of £6.50!!! Food and other basics can also be really expensive. Also, unless you count sports, Australia is pretty much a cultural void!

All in all, it's a great place to live, but with the strength of the Australian Dollar right now, then you're probably better off holding off right now. For those reasons, I'd say south east asia and the USA are probably better options... depends how much disposable cash you have though!

Regarding Perth being like a mini-Scotland... the only Scots I've met out here have been through amateur football! However, if you're involved in the oil industry out here then you probably will meet quite a few expats. I've honestly hardly heard a Scottish accent since I've been out here. A lot of Irish "refugees" though!

GT, i have often thought about doing the same, but have settled into a good job etc, new house and now am going to go everywhere i wanted to travel to as holidays - 3 weeks out here and there and do the backpacking thing.

Have you ever thought about adding Asia in there?

Im thinking of heading to Hong Kong and China next year, and also India for a month. Ive done quite a few places in North America so in no rush to go back in a travelling capacity. What about South America? Peru, Brazil, Chile?

So many places to go to round the Thailand area - heard very good reports about Vietnam and Cambodia also.

I spent 6 months backpacking after uni in 2005 and it's by far the best thing I have ever done. All in I spent 7 grand, that includes everything (flights, accom, food, booze, activities). The pound is about 25% weaker today so you will need more, however I didn't really live on a shoestring budget. I did Tokyo- HK- Bangkok (7 weeks traveling overland Cha Am, Hua Hin, Krabi/Railay, Ko Samui, Satun, Langkawi, KL) Singapore - Sydney (6 weeks doing the Oz east coast) -NZ - Fiji - LA - NY - Rio de Janeiro - Tampa - Aberdeen.

I also went back to Oz for 6 weeks in 2009 and included Perth & Margaret River on the west coast that time.

I would agree with the advice above - hit SE Asia first for at least 3 months as it's still relatively cheap and is the dogs bollocks. If you're a single guy you'll do some damage and Vietnamese birds are smoking hot! Plenty bang tidy backpacker chicks to go around too and they're mostly all game for some boaby. Make sure you get to Ko Samui and the Full Moon Part over on Koh Phagnan. Boracay in the Philippines is well worth a visit too. The Philippines is dirt cheap. If you leave in March you'll still catch the decent weather in SE Asia before the rainy season starts. I was in Thailand for 3 weeks in May this year and the weather was spot on.

You have to do Oz but be warned that Aussie's are generally dicks! It's also full of Irish traveller minks who take over the hostels on long stay as they have fled Ireland to find work in Oz. They really are a rough bunch! Fraser Island is the best thing to do in Oz. Do the 4x4 three day camping thing. Fraser Is Byron Bay is also a great place to spend a week. Personally wouldn't bother with the west coast - Perth is fairly dull but Margaret River is brilliant.

NZ South Island is way better than the North. Queenstown is party central and full of tidy birds. Abel Tasman National Park is unbelievable so make sure you do a 3 day hike.

Fiji mainland is horse shit but the Islands are amazing - just buy the hop on hop off catamaran pass for a week.

Don't bother with North America (LA, Vegas, NY are all brilliant but you can do them as holidays in the next few years). Be brave and do South America. Still very cheap (except Brazil) and Colombia is just amazing. You'll prob end up married!

I'm trying to decide what to do as well, the only travelling I've done is Spain, Balearic and Canary Islands, and a tiny bit of France when younger on family holidays, then a few years ago went to Calgary, Lake Louise and Vancouver which was really good. In Calgary I spent a lot of the time going on about Cool Runnings and friends from there eventually took me to Ranchman's where there is that fight in the video. Sadly the toilets have changed since they filmed that ages ago so I couldn't re-enact this

After this project at work is over, I'm hoping they give 5 weeks off work (out of the normal holiday allowance) then take a few weeks extra off to bump it up to 8 weeks holiday in one go. It sounds a lot but if I want to get some travelling done, I don't know the best approach - was thinking of a round the world flight ticket too, but it might not be the best idea as I'd not get to stay at many different places for very long.

I guess I can leave Russia etc since they're fairly close compared to other places, not even that sure where I want to go. I want to go to Brunei even if it's just for a night stop over as I was born there, would like to go to Japan too, and some school friends have buggered off to Australia so I guess that's a possible destination too. Apart from that, need to get some ideas! Hawaii any good? Another friend has went to Toronto to work so I guess that could be another stop off.

Although I think that would be an interesting and confusing experience on the body - going from the heat of Australian summer, to Hawaii to then Toronto in winter :thumbup1: wouldn't know how to pack the suitcase! 1 of everything!