Revisit Pink Floyd

phoenix

Pink Floyd night on BBC4 tonight from 9.30pm.

It will be more worthwhile than checking out Superheavy. The prick Jagger was on breakfast tv , laughing when it ain't funny and not answering the questions. Can imagine just why the Stones won't tour again.

Album: SuperHeavy, SuperHeavy (Polydor)

(Rated 2/ 5 )

Reviewed by Andy Gill

Friday, 16 September 2011

The sad fact about supergroups is that they are rarely the result of any musical imperative.

This is painfully confirmed on the debut offering from the alliance of Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Damian Marley and A R Rahman, on which the assembled talents cast around for a style of their own without ever unearthing the natural chemistry on which great bands rely. There are shades of prancing electro-reggae pop, a smidgeon of country-ballad blues, an unconvincing angry rocker, and several pan-cultural stews, such as "Unbelievable" and "Satyameva Jayathe", in which the contrasting flavours don't gel in tasty fashion. The impression is that all participants are having to work at less than full power in order to accommodate the others; and, as chemistry goes, the hoped-for "crazy energy" between Jagger and Stone just doesn't heat up at all.

Fit's your beef with Jagger Phoen?

Did he steal Candy Staton off of you back in the day?

Back in '64 , I was the Stones number one fan. Believe me , they were not immediately acceptable( all that long hair , ugly and antisocial ) , rebels if you will.

Now they are so establishment with the rebel days all but forgotten.....Sir Mick Jagger , ffs ! And narey a decent album since those rebellious days.

I appreciate what they did as young men but would not go to see them if they played at Pittodrie today. Jagger just confirmed this with his abject appearance on tv this morning.

Of course the young can be casual about money and it was all about the music back then , now it is most certainly all about the money and it's not like they are hard up , they are multi-millionaires. Approaching 70 , you'd think they'd give it a rest but making squillions is obviously addictive.

Any band which is popular, has in effect 'sold out'.

Therefore the best ones must be the most unpopular ones, who have no talent, and play shit music :confused:

Wrong !

And I'm not going to explain why.

Ye'll hae tae work it oot for yersel'.

On the grounds that whatever I may say , you are likely to contradict. :cool:

Wrong !

And I'm not going to explain why.

Ye'll hae tae work it oot for yersel'.

On the grounds that whatever I may say , you are likely to contradict. :cool:

OK, what I meant was any band which is popular in terms of volume of albums sold through the process of getting into cahoots with a mendacious record company has sold out.

I suppose you can be popular and not satisfy the above, but it will be in the pipeline, you won't get away with being popular and unknown for long.

OK, what I meant was any band which is popular in terms of volume of albums sold through the process of getting into cahoots with a mendacious record company has sold out.

I suppose you can be popular and not satisfy the above, but it will be in the pipeline, you won't get away with being popular and unknown for long.

I guess bands have to meet the devil halfway but they don't need to kiss his ass.

Things always change , as they are slowly doing so now. There seem to be fewer ginormous acts - apart from your Lady Gagas , who else straddles the globe( if , in fact , she does ).

This is probably a good thing , a changing marketplace where the artist can communicate with his audience via social networks and his audience can download his 'art' directly from himself or by purchasing at live gigs. Cut out the b a s t a r d non-essential middlemen.

Nice one Phoenix, I've set the Sky+ for the evening of Floyd. :thumbup1:

Although I think I may have seen the 'Which One's Pink?' documentary before. I could be wrong though, still worth a watch anyway.

As for Andy Gill having a go at supergroups, was 'Cream' nae a supergroup? They were pretty good.

And for the record, the Stones from '64 - '72 were one of the best bands of all time. Unfortunately like a lot of huge bands, they never knew when to give it up (musically speaking).