Sportscene

Every week we have the SPL highlights programme on BBC TV Scotland. It focuses far too much on the OF as the main highlighted games are always one or other of the OF and the bulk of the programme is devoted to that. The remainder of the show then gives very brief edited highlights of other games, with fleeting comments by the guest "expert". Our games always seem to be in this category. The same highlights are always on the Internet as well.

Shouldn't they occasionally concentrate on games without the OF now and again. At least Match of the Day in England shares it around a lot of the other major clubs.

This BBC bias has probably had a major effect over the years in boosting the OF to an unjustified extent and draws potential supporters away from their local team, helping to stifle Scottish football in the process.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every week we have the SPL highlights programme on BBC TV Scotland. It focuses far too much on the OF as the main highlighted games are always one or other of the OF and the bulk of the programme is devoted to that. The remainder of the show then gives very brief edited highlights of other games, with fleeting comments by the guest "expert". Our games always seem to be in this category. The same highlights are always on the Internet as well.

Shouldn't they occasionally concentrate on games without the OF now and again. At least Match of the Day in England shares it around a lot of the other major clubs.

This BBC bias has probably had a major effect over the years in boosting the OF to an unjustified extent and draws potential supporters away from their local team, helping to stifle Scottish football in the process.

I was disgusted to see that BBC Alba show a programme called Club TV which appears to be basically a magazine show completely dedicated to the OF.

So which is it then? There are by definition two major clubs in Scotland.

You have indeed even tacitly admitted they do the same in England, which they 100% do btw, same as SKY. It's all about Man Utd & Chelsea, this year with Man City thrown in the mix, and your usual smattering of Arsehole and Lolerpool. Otherwise you'll be lucky to get much more than a quick whizz over anyone else.

So which is it then? There are by definition two major clubs in Scotland.

You have indeed even tacitly admitted they do the same in England, which they 100% do btw, same as SKY. It's all about Man Utd & Chelsea, this year with Man City thrown in the mix, and your usual smattering of Arsehole and Lolerpool. Otherwise you'll be lucky to get much more than a quick whizz over anyone else.

I think motd show the best game(s) first.

Fair chance that'll involve Man U etc but if say Everton v Villa ended 4-4 that would get shown before a Man U v Wigan that was 1-0.

If AFC v Hearts finished 4-4 no way would it get shown before huns 1 Caley 0 or well 0 tims 1.

motd gives a fair bit of coverage to all games even if they are the smaller sides and not great games.

Oor lot give 80% to the filth and the other 10 get 20% between them.

I could be wrong as I dinna watch oor programme very often for that reason and its pish.

whilst i hate the OF love in on Sportscene, lets face it, most people watching are watching for the OF. at least they try and make a pretence of caring aobut other games at times- the Edinburgh derby is always top billing when its on. And if it was purely on entertainment value games were shown, thered never be a dons game on, unless the opopsition did something particularly spectacular to make up for us.

I hate this idea that having Sky-esque presentation of Scottish fitba would solve all the ills.

We spend enough time on here saying it's dross, so why licence fee spenders money can be justified on dipping it in melted chocolate and sprinkling it with hundreds and thousands is open to question.

I'd actually suggest the BBC provide decent coverage of Scottish fitba, both online and the comprehensive radio coverage.

totally agree that they do a good job of covering at game time. All the games are on radio- pretty sure thats not the case in England? And sky is a commercial firm. Whilst that means they can be held to higher standards by consumers when it comes to commentary and punditry etc, it also means they have to reach for the biggest audience they can- the OF.

One major problem i have with the BBC is putting the football on BBC Alba though- id like to be able to underdstand the commentary, even if only to rage at the commentators stupidity (was always incredulous when heard them saying about Zander last year that 'he's a quality player, its just not happening for him today etc'.

I think motd show the best game(s) first.

Fair chance that'll involve Man U etc but if say Everton v Villa ended 4-4 that would get shown before a Man U v Wigan that was 1-0.

If AFC v Hearts finished 4-4 no way would it get shown before huns 1 Caley 0 or well 0 tims 1.

motd gives a fair bit of coverage to all games even if they are the smaller sides and not great games.

Oor lot give 80% to the filth and the other 10 get 20% between them.

No, they don't.

Which game is best depends who you support surely?

:laughing:

The worst thing about Sportscene is that at half the games they don't even have a commentator at it. The same boy did our game and Uniteds. He spoke a lot of shit about the first half too. Nonce.

Yip that annoys me too. We had that guy with the bug eyes talking over those 2 games. I watched the highlights I had recorded last night whilst having my breakfast this morning and we actually got less than 3 minutes. Totally shocking as I had to fast forward about 5 hours of OF hugging.

I've sinced watched the online highlights which gives 5 minutes of coverage as always so I actually got to see some action apart form the goals. This has sealed it for me, Sportscene is getting removed from the sky+. Totally shocking.

Sportscene is getting removed from the sky+. Totally shocking.

How utterly ironic :laughing:

Sportscene, Sportsound, Sky the whole lot are breaking our game by giving ALL coverage to two clubs, and fostering the belief that the other games are meaningless.

They're only meaningless when you make them meaningless, by constantly re-inforcing that fallacy.

How utterly ironic :laughing:

Sportscene, Sportsound, Sky the whole lot are breaking our game by giving ALL coverage to two clubs, and fostering the belief that the other games are meaningless.

They're only meaningless when you make them meaningless, by constantly re-inforcing that fallacy.

:dontknow:

I am chosing to watch all the highlights using the BBCs online package which is better than their TV programme. This gives a much fairer balance to all teams which isn't reinforcing the fact that any of the games are meaningless.

:dontknow:

I am chosing to watch all the highlights using the BBCs online package which is better than their TV programme. This gives a much fairer balance to all teams which isn't reinforcing the fact that any of the games are meaningless.

I meant you were removing Sportscene (for their heavily accentuated coverage of SCOTTISH football highlights) from your SKY PLUS box.

Sky have done far more to hammer our football into dust than the BBC.