Quote Of The Day

phoenix

' The company of just and righteous men is better than wealth and a rich estate '( Euripides ).

Euripides , Ancient Greek , (ca. 480 BC – 406 BC) was one of the three great tragedians of classical Athens , the other two being Aeschylus and Sophocles.He was unique too among the writers of ancient Athens for the sympathy he demonstrated towards all victims of society, including women. His conservative male audiences were frequently shocked by the 'heresies' he put into the mouths of characters, such as these words of his heroine Medea:

Sooner would I stand

Three times to face their battles, shield in hand,

Than bear one child!

His contemporaries associated him with Socrates as a leader of a decadent intellectualism, both of them being frequently lampooned by comic poets such as Aristophanes. Whereas Socrates was eventually put on trial and executed as a corrupting influence, Euripides chose a voluntary exile in old age, dying in Macedonia.

' The company of just and righteous men is better than wealth and a rich estate '( Euripides ).

I was saying something similar on the Euromillions thread a couple of months back, money will make you more unhappy should you be pissed off at present, and it's certainly not the key to happiness folk would have you believe as they constantly bang on about lottery wins when in fact they have a far higher chance of being hit by a refridgerator sized lump of NASA satellite than winning the fucking thing, ever, a classic tax on stupidity if ever I seen one.