Dig This !

phoenix

One by one, the chicks and dudes of yesteryear are having their say. They are part of a lucky generation, never having had to fight a war, catching a wave of personal liberation four and a half decades ago, and now checking out before things get too heavy on Planet Earth.

They have never been short of opinions. In the 1960s, they started using stroppy imperatives

Flashback Pheen?

:laughing:

Still livin' the dream , Dandyesque. Or diein' tryin'.

The old oil industry adage would fit in perfectly with '60s mantras - 'Don't let the bastards get you down'.

Often wondered if those words emanated from lapsed hippies who had re-entered the rat race.

Good stuff min

I often feel I was born a few decades too late.

But then I realise that the images of Carnaby Street in the swinging 60s probably didn't extend as far as NE Scotland and it was probably still the 50s up here.

Many times I have felt the same, the sixties changed the world for the better. Turn on, tune in, drop out!

But then I realise that the images of Carnaby Street in the swinging 60s probably didn't extend as far as NE Scotland and it was probably still the 50s up here.

Not at all in my experience , Dandyesque....a significant percentage of North East people were quick to embrace the ideals and the business orientated included( never slow to turn a buck but careless over the ideals ). The centres of sixties excellence were reckoned to be San Francisco , where it was seen to have started( City Lights Bookstore , Bill Graham's fundraisers for Gay Rights and beaucoups of sunshine ) , London and Amsterdam.....but it was a 'movement' that spread quickly around the World...'people just wanna have fun'.....and the World had never seen anything like it. It is what helped the bands of that era become global phenomena.

Of course there were pockets of resistance but you found them everywhere too - San Francisco , London , Amsterdam etc....Aberdeen was as ripe as any place and up for change( and believe me , I can remember how drab the immediate post war years were ).

Happy Trails clothes shop( named after a Quicksilver Messenger Service album ).....the Place( club ) on Skene Square.....the Soul nights out at Horace Fox's Harehill Farm( they grew marijuana plants( female ) in the greenhouse , seven feet tall )....even the Blue Lamp was a centre for radical thinking( and where the air was filled with more than just the aroma of cigarette smoke ;) ).

And some great bands like Cousin Mary , the Outsiders , Biffo , the Daltons , Gully Foyle , the Lemon Soul...to name but a few. :thumbs:

Everybody was reading 'Lord of the Rings' long before a movie deal was even thought of , the 'heavier' amongst us read 'The Tibetan Book of the Dead' ; the Beatles and the Beach Boys were doing their thing with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and the Art School scene flourished. It helped that we were young , like. :)

Good stuff min

I often feel I was born a few decades too late.

My Ma and Da were hippys back in the day. Must have been quite cool at the time, thinking they were actually going to change the world.

Nice sentiment Phoenix, although a bit rose tinted and ultimately flawed I feel. This is the generation that either became 'The Man' or eventually sold out to 'The Man' and royally fucked everything up for future generations......

Reekie or whatever the fuck it's called. Jesus!

And all that other pish, meditating and all that shite, lies, no cunt can do that, apart from Dhalsim off of Street Fighter 2, and he's not real.

Guaranteed the Dalai Lama, once the charade of his ridiculous worship class is over, casts aside his robes, locks the fucking temple door, and sits there playing FIFA on the X-box in a pair of Adidas trackies wiping snotters on his bedsheets whilst tanning a six pack of Red Stripe and twenty Regal Filters down his deified throat.

My Ma and Da were hippys back in the day. Must have been quite cool at the time, thinking they were actually going to change the world.

Nice sentiment Phoenix, although a bit rose tinted and ultimately flawed I feel. This is the generation that either became 'The Man' or eventually sold out to 'The Man' and royally fucked everything up for future generations......

Loving the original post by Pheonix here. Thought provoking.

My mum and dad had the look of hippies about them in the 70s. Have a picture of them proudly holding a baby BC (handsome baby - grumpy look on his face). In reality my old man was minting it in off the burgeoning oil industry, earning a wage that I would probably settle for today.

Loving the original post by Pheonix here. Thought provoking.

My mum and dad had the look of hippies about them in the 70s. Have a picture of them proudly holding a baby BC (handsome baby - grumpy look on his face). In reality my old man was minting it in off the burgeoning oil industry, earning a wage that I would probably settle for today.

You're saying you earn lots of money?

That's out of character.

You're saying you earn lots of money?

That's out of character.

Nope, am saying I would be happy enough with earning what my Dad got paid in 1975. I earn a living and not much more. It's hard work being top line creatively but clueless financially! Am getting better, but am a slow learner when it comes to subjects I have no interest in.