Running Shoes

Big Man

Haven't been a regular runner since my halcyon days as a student. Decided im going to start again - always fancied a pair of nike freerun 2.0's (i like the idea of barefoot running):

nike_free_run_2_men_black_red.jpg

Placed an order this afternoon. What kind of shoe does everyone else use and why?

These.

Asics 2140's

Very good fit, decent price and the people in the shop I bought them from swear by Asics for running so that was good enough for me.

Doing approx 30-35 km a week at the moment and they are still like brand new. Never had a blister yet either. :thumbs:

gel-kayano-17-aw11-zoom.jpg

asics gel kayano.

the ferrari of the running world. sole plate that moulds to the shape of your foot after a few uses. more cushioning in these bad boys than in my sofa. asics are hands down the best shoes money can buy. if your a serious runner, youll own either asics, new balance or reeboks. anything else is sub standard.

hate hate hate nike running shoes with the burning passion of a thousand suns. price and flashy looks over tech and development. air pegasus is alright but the rest are garbage as far as im concerned. the worst offenders are easily the nike air max

nike-air-max-st-retro-2.jpg

if youve ever bought a pair of these, ill tell you hands down and to your face, your a fucking idiot.

look at that "air" cushioning in the heel. fucking stupidity. bursts after 10,000 steps give or take and isnt even in the right place. strike point is the outside of your heel (unless youve got problems wi your knees or feet) but yet their air protection system has a strike protection point about 2 inches from the landing point.

Haven't been a regular runner since my halcyon days as a student. Decided im going to start again - always fancied a pair of nike freerun 2.0's (i like the idea of barefoot running):

why? biomechanically its not really a smart idea. evolution (and pampering) has made our feet, knees, hips, joints etc all prone to injury very easily. the only real reason people do bare foot running is to toughen them up for doing the iron man races.

Always been told that for when it comes to running shoes you should go to a proper running shop and get your feet properly measured and checked so you get the perfect trainer.

its more for your natural gait than for the fitting. if you over/under pronate (foot rolling) its a big deal and knackers youre whole body from foot to spine.

pronation.jpg

thats why i always advocate insoles to be worn in trainers, shoes, football boots. everything. proper support for very little additional cost - makes such a massive difference. theres still a stigma attached to insoles but any doctor will tell you "prevention is better than the cure". if you let it get to the stage where you need physio, youll never be able to get back to where you were before you started having issues, then becomes about maintenance.

if anyone asks, i tend to recommend these beasts.

drfootpro.jpg

http://www.drfoot.co.uk/acatalog/Dr_Foot_Pro_Insoles__pair_.html

why? biomechanically its not really a smart idea. evolution (and pampering) has made our feet, knees, hips, joints etc all prone to injury very easily. the only real reason people do bare foot running is to toughen them up for doing the iron man races.

Exactly - i want to toughen my body up, give it a proper work out the way nature intended.

Like you say, all the cushioning in modern running shoes and the ''heal toe'' culture is good for the comfort of your feet, but its bad for your joints.

You're meant to pronate, its a natural shock absorber. You strengthen an arch by loading it from the top, you weaken it by pushing up from underneath. It'll be hard on my feet at first but im hoping it will be better in the long-term. There's quite a large BF community and i've read some positive things. Just gonna give it a go and see.

I agree with what you said about the majority of nike running shoes being utter dross, but i tried the freerun's on in a shoap and hands down they are the nicest fitting shoes i have ever tried - so light you forget you've even got them on.

[i am a heavy overpronator by the way]

currently using adidas that I purchased only a few weeks ago. best fitting shoe I've ever had. before that I've used asics and brooks which were excellent as well.

I'm not a fan of Nike runners at all - I've bought 2 pairs in the last few years and had no end of foot pain after just a couple of miles. taken them back straight away

i've got a specially made pair for me (I've size 17's) and they work really well because of it. Never had a problem with them. Getting someone independent to make them and getting them finely tuned for you makes a difference.

a size 17?! holy fuck! how much does it cost you to get them made? and also, do you get all your shoes made? its bad enough getting size 12s!

i've got a specially made pair for me (I've size 17's) and they work really well because of it. Never had a problem with them. Getting someone independent to make them and getting them finely tuned for you makes a difference.

Where did you get them made?

Also, where do you go running in edinburgh - doon the meadows?

I have some Asics of some kind. They don't look too dissimilar to Robbo's above. Got my gait checked at the Running Shop and got some that gave me better ankle support...

They have done me two sets of marathon training from scratch and two marathons. Only now that they are starting to show any damage at all, so not bad going. Cost about

asics gel kayano.

the ferrari of the running world. sole plate that moulds to the shape of your foot after a few uses. more cushioning in these bad boys than in my sofa. asics are hands down the best shoes money can buy. if your a serious runner, youll own either asics, new balance or reeboks. anything else is sub standard.

hate hate hate nike running shoes with the burning passion of a thousand suns. price and flashy looks over tech and development. air pegasus is alright but the rest are garbage as far as im concerned. the worst offenders are easily the nike air max

nike-air-max-st-retro-2.jpg

if youve ever bought a pair of these, ill tell you hands down and to your face, your a fucking idiot.

look at that "air" cushioning in the heel. fucking stupidity. bursts after 10,000 steps give or take and isnt even in the right place. strike point is the outside of your heel (unless youve got problems wi your knees or feet) but yet their air protection system has a strike protection point about 2 inches from the landing point.

Im sorry Robbo but what you are saying about nike running is a bit misguided, yes the nike you have pictured is not for running, its a retro of an old nike runner, yesterdays tech=todays fashion, see Air Max 1s, 90s 95s etc.

Nikes lunar technology is making leaps and bounds plus the free range is fantastic.

Also when you mention Pegasus which ones do you mean? as the latest pegasus show case the best of nikes development and tech that you lament.

The Lunar Glide, Eclipse and Haze are 3 great runners that ive seen serious runners recommend and praise highly.

Sorry not looking to call you out but nikes retro range and their running line are worlds apart. Air was a great tech in its day but now the only air tech that is used in the running line is for light joggers etc. Air is better applied in the extreme impact sports like tennis etc.

Plus the retro runners air is reduced to what they had originally, the air in retros is purely for look, back then the air was full sole air, differnet gas was used then. Plus the 10000 steps comment is rubbish, i have a pair of Huarach Bursts from 2002 with the max 93 unit, full size bubble and im damn sure they have been worn more than 10000 steps. In actual fact ive numerous air soled nikes from the 90s early 00s worn plenty with no leakage.

Im sorry Robbo but what you are saying about nike running is a bit misguided, yes the nike you have pictured is not for running, its a retro of an old nike runner, yesterdays tech=todays fashion, see Air Max 1s, 90s 95s etc.

oh i fully agree, the air max is a fashion trainer. however when i was at jjb (left late 2005) they were still classed as a runner despite my protests.

Nikes lunar technology is making leaps and bounds plus the free range is fantastic.

Also when you mention Pegasus which ones do you mean? as the latest pegasus show case the best of nikes development and tech that you lament.

The Lunar Glide, Eclipse and Haze are 3 great runners that ive seen serious runners recommend and praise highly.

Sorry not looking to call you out but nikes retro range and their running line are worlds apart. Air was a great tech in its day but now the only air tech that is used in the running line is for light joggers etc. Air is better applied in the extreme impact sports like tennis etc.

thats good to hear then, i didnt mean to come across as a know it all tosser but by the looks of things thats exactly what i did do. just in my experience of working with their shoes on a daily basis for 4 years, i read all their new product placement stuff so i knew what i was telling customers and what they were promising rarely matched up to what could be expected and we had numerous returns from unhappy folk.

Plus the retro runners air is reduced to what they had originally, the air in retros is purely for look, back then the air was full sole air, differnet gas was used then. Plus the 10000 steps comment is rubbish, i have a pair of Huarach Bursts from 2002 with the max 93 unit, full size bubble and im damn sure they have been worn more than 10000 steps. In actual fact ive numerous air soled nikes from the 90s early 00s worn plenty with no leakage.

again, not so in my experience. you must have treated yours well or just had a good batch as again, i had to refund dozens of folk who had bought nike shoes wi the visible air pockets and used them to destruction. at that time, the only nike trainer that was ranked in the top 20 running shoes was the air pegasus. nike then went out and paid the head designer for asics a kings ransom to jump ship. from that point, their product line has clearly been overhauled which is a good thing for everyone.

however, i will always stay true to asics because they never reinvent their product. each year there is a new gel nimbus, a new gel kayano and so forth which is slightly improved on the previous years. nike tend to release a whole new line every other year, most of which are gimmicks - like the shox - which last a few years then become a casual shoe.

• Site Sponsor

I do a lot of running and as mentioned a gait analysis is a must

I run in brooks adrenaline because they suit me.

Did a marathon last month and got passed by someone wearing a pair of these

sprint1--sajoi.jpg

:itch-chin:

Personal trainers wear those things in the gym.

Personally, I think they look poofy :gay: - but I widna say that to any of the PT's in the gym, of course.

My choice of running shoe is Brooks.

Recently bought Brooks Ghosts as they suit my style of running.

Expensive but well worth it.

I do a lot of running and as mentioned a gait analysis is a must

I run in brooks adrenaline because they suit me.

Did a marathon last month and got passed by someone wearing a pair of these

sprint1--sajoi.jpg

:itch-chin:

I've seen these vibram five fingers things about as well. I'd be quite interested to try a pair - seen them online for

O well no bother, she goes to Stoneywood Primary. You'll get to within 10 meters of the main gate before i kill you with one punch.

:hysterical:

Amazing, how am I meant to compete with your funniness when you pull out comments such as that one above, fantastic!

As for running, because I don't do it that often I just use my gym shoes which are just standard nike runners, comfy enough and do the job.

Asics for me, 90% treadmill though prefer to cycle than jog outside

Agree. I used to have just a standard cheap pair of running shoes, but I used to get really tight calves after only 10 minutes of running. Moved to a pair of Asics and i've not had a problem since. Obviously this would probably be the same with any decent running shoe, but it's made a big difference.

I can't stand running though, I have to force myself to go out and do a run. It's alright once i'm out though.

Well Miniballs you've basically commented that you'd either want to kill or rape my 10 year old daughter and even though you haven't used those exact words its what you were getting at, so believe me even if it took more than one punch you'd end up finished regardless, if you think i'm some dick who spouts shit and wouldn't back it up like all these made up characters in your fairytales your very much mistaken and melting you in the Banks o Dee carpark is very much within my comfort zone.

I was only gan to slag her trainers FFS, some people, really.

• 1 month later...

asics gel kayano.

Just purchased a pair of these for next week when I get home. Magic footwear.

/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=fabulous%20thunderbirds%20'running%20shoes'%20you%20tube&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DApiQW3w2wpA&ei=7ny6TqWsFdDEswargsW7Bg&usg=AFQjCNHRtUuV-u1BdHsj3S0fKW-vZvD1Uw

/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=fabulous%20thunderbirds%20'running%20shoes'%20you%20tube&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCgQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DehhM4PCRTuk&ei=7ny6TqWsFdDEswargsW7Bg&usg=AFQjCNFarZf5F8Eq_u49rxGqnn78RxdGkA

How come these URLs sometimes come across and sometimes don't ?