Awful News

The makers of Highland Toffee have ceased trading with the loss of more than 100 Scottish jobs, administrators have confirmed.

Production at the New McCowan's plant in Stenhousemuir was suspended last month after the firm went into administration.

Several investors were thought to have expressed an interest in the company.

But administrators Grant Thornton said staff had now been told they had lost their jobs.

As well as Highland Toffee, the sweet makers also produce the Wham bar, Pan Drops and Bonbons.

Grant Thornton said just over 100 jobs would be lost in Stenhousemuir.

Other group operations - Thornycroft warehousing based in Skegness and Bristows fudge making business in Devon - have also closed, with total job losses across the group put at around 185.

Usdaw, the union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers, said it was considering legal action to reclaim lost wages.

McCowan's was bought out of receivership by current owners Thornycroft in 2006.

Administrators were appointed in mid-September after the company experienced cash flow difficulties.

Grant Thornton said the company would continue to look "at all potential options".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-15175383

I'm going to have to hunt down as many Wham bars as possible and stock pile them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-15175383

I'm going to have to hunt down as many Wham bars as possible and stock pile them.

You shouldn't have alerted other people to this, then you'd have a better chance of a significant stash.

Terrible news though - I used to love Wham bars and Highland Toffee - possibly the hardest sweet in the world to eat.

Sad days indeed.

You shouldn't have alerted other people to this, then you'd have a better chance of a significant stash.

Terrible news though - I used to love Wham bars and Highland Toffee - possibly the hardest sweet in the world to eat.

Sad days indeed.

Just checked ebay and there are loads of Wham bars for sale so I should be able to build myself a stash. Can't find any Irn-Bru bars though :(

Aye you could be right, as I'm informed most dentists in Scotland are private these days!

Not sure about that but I have read stuff about people lining up all day when a new dentist accepts NHS patients so there is probably substance in it.

I remember when I was little there was a toffee promotion on with the 2p chews from McCowan's where by if you opened the wrapper you could get another free one if you had a winning wrapper. The only problem for the local shopkeeper was you could see through the wrapper if you had a winner before you bought them.

Happy days.