Giving To Charity

WILCOCK

Everytime im outside the St Nicholas Centre there are these folk hounding everyone to give to charity, which i usually try and avoid these folk.

Anyway yesterday it was unavoidable and instead of telling them to f off im now giving to charity, not much like.

Anyway feel like a better person, anyone else give to charity, or is it a waste of time?

I tend to pick one "big" charity to give to (World Vision... sponsoring a child in the third world) and otherwise give to smaller charities.

That's because I helped setup a charity back in early 00s and it was a *nightmare* continuing... cost me about $20k out of my own pocket plus in effect working a full time job paid and another full time job unpaid to keep it running for about 3-4 years and by that point, after it was obvious there was never going to be a chance to get funding for it (the big guys suck it all up) I pulled the pin on my directorship of it... which was a strain since I set it up with my wife primarily. :poster_oops:

So my advice, if you feel inclined towards charity (and not everyone does... fair enough) then look for a smaller, possibly local charity to help out. They need it way more than the big guys do (who get lots of endorsements and funding from companies and governments)

I've a monthly DD to the NSPCC, the wife has one to Oxfam. I usually do one 10K fundraiser a year which I give to Alzheimer Scotland and then Movember which goes to Prostate Cancer.

Usually find myself guilt tripped into giving to Sport relief, children in need and the like too. Oh and donating when pals run marathons, take part in arduous bike rides - something that takes a bit of effort and is for a worthwhile cause.

My issue with the street sellers is that the majority are not doing it for free. They could be going for the bestest charity ever and I will not pay them as I know whatever DD they get me on will probably cover a fraction of their wages.

I remember one such person selling a reasonable enough charity, that after a bit of discussion I said I'd be interested in a one off donation, but not setting up a regular payment to. Boy said that wasn't good enough and was a bit of a prick thereafter. Ended up getting nothing, good work.

So I generally give when I see worthwhile causes, have a DD set up to World Vision like Oz above, and have raised for CLAN twice in the last couple of years with running (didn't do it for the Berlin marathon, as keep on tapping up the same people).

Couple of Direct Debits - like Cheesepipes, they get set up for a while then cancelled.

The currently active ones include (I think) Red Cross, Friends of the Earth.

I also sometimes sell raffle tickets for the scottish blind kids (not their proper name) and have a pigy bank thing for them as well.

Other than that, I normally put my small change into whatever collection jar is in the shop and sometimes donate one off amounts to disaster appeals if in a really poor country (eg Haiti Earthquake, but not New Zealand).

I avoid Comic Relief and Children in Need like the fucking plague - nothing I hate more than watching a bundle of incredibly wealthy people giving themselves a collective backslap for persuading the plebs to part with their hard-earned when 30 or 40 of them could easily stick in a couple of million, but choose instead to "give up their time" (increase their profile).

Edit - that and it's really inanely shite TV

Nit, charity begins at home, also can't be doing with people coming round work collecting money for someone leaving, feck off, have a whip round for me for being loyal.

I could not agree more on this. at one point there were about 4 people leaving in the space of 2 weeks and they also do it for birthdays.

I get the impression those that do these whip rounds don't like me very much because I don't contribute to someone's gift who barely lifted a finger during their time here and who I barely said more than 8 words to over the last year. fuck them!!!!

I give to a few charities and my small change usually goes in to whatever collection bottle is at the counter

I'd leave in a heartbeat If they gave me enough cash to last a lifetime, would rather be on the internet all day without having the hassle of two rush hours.

Nothing to door knockers. Still don't trust giving your details to someone knocking on your door showing a badge.

Don't use ebay for selling stuff but give it to local thrift shop and charity shops. Wife has a Direct Debit for some charity.

Not averse to buying books for the school every fso often either although technically it's nae a charity but it's a great thing to do.

These whiprounds piss me off as well.

You contribute x number of tenners or fivers over the years for other lucky cunts that get to leave, but when it's my turn, I have the common sense to tell the boss I'm moving to a competitor so I don't have to work my notice and get paid a free month's wages for fuck all.

The downside being that you have to leave that day, meaning there is no time for anyone else to arrange a whipround for me.

I think I'm being screwed here....

Everytime im outside the St Nicholas Centre there are these folk hounding everyone to give to charity, which i usually try and avoid these folk.

Anyway yesterday it was unavoidable and instead of telling them to f off im now giving to charity, not much like.

Anyway feel like a better person, anyone else give to charity, or is it a waste of time?

Congratulations. You have just paid their wages.

aye its amazing what a young blonde thing with a flashy smile can make you do.

Is it just me, or are there far too many different charities going around which are effectively for the same thing?

I don't like pushy charity folk who won't take no for an answer and won't leave you alone if you ignore them (politely pretending you don't hear them!). I've given my fair share of money to charity this year, through different means, but i'll give on MY terms not because you've stood infront and made me feel guilty.

The thing about giving to charity, particularly to Africa/the third world, how much of the money makes it to those that need it? Corrupt governments pocketing the dosh to fund their own lavish lifestyles?

Did anyone hear about the governor of (one of) the poorest state in India who flew in her private jet to Mumbai for a pair of shoes?

This same country that has a fecking space programme, yet the UK gives millions in aid. Am I the only one that finds this ridiculous?! They need to start helping themselves first.

As for giving money to beggars on the street? Nah, no thanks.

The thing about giving to charity, particularly to Africa/the third world, how much of the money makes it to those that need it? Corrupt governments pocketing the dosh to fund their own lavish lifestyles?

Did anyone hear about the governor of (one of) the poorest state in India who flew in her private jet to Mumbai for a pair of shoes?

This same country that has a fecking space programme, yet the UK gives millions in aid. Am I the only one that finds this ridiculous?! They need to start helping themselves first.

As for giving money to beggars on the street? Nah, no thanks.

The street markets in Lagos and PH are full of red cross, save the children and other charity bags full of clothes all for sale.

Not exactly helping those that the donations were meant for.