Barry Ferguson

Barry Ferguson says infamous V-sign was aimed at SFA

Barry Ferguson has told BBC Scotland his V-sign gesture during a Scotland match against Iceland was targeted at specific individuals in the Scottish Football Association.

"You could put it that way, yes. It annoys me that people say it was to the fans," said Ferguson.

"If I could turn back the clock and do it over, I would never have done it."

However, the former Scotland captain regrets the incident, but feels he was right to end his international career.

The SFA acted after Ferguson and his then-Rangers team-mate, keeper Allan McGregor were dropped to the bench following a drinking session after a defeat by the Netherlands and then made V-signs on the bench in the subsequent match against Iceland.

Ferguson's then-club Rangers stripped him of the captaincy and suspended both him and McGregor for two weeks without pay.

"My proudest moments in my career were the Rangers captaincy and the Scotland captaincy," said Ferguson. "Probably the lowest was that night.

"I knew as soon as I did it, I was in deep trouble.

"I've looked at myself in the mirror a hundred times, 200 times and just wondered why I did it.

"It was a reaction to what happened on the Saturday night after the game in Holland.

"We came back on the Sunday and got in trouble for having a few drinks with a few of the boys. I was disappointed in the way they handled it and I've been open about it.

"The boundaries were that we were allowed to go and have a few drinks - probably, by me being captain, I should have turned round to the boys and held my hands up and said, come on, let's get to bed - but they're old enough and wise enough to make their own decisions.

"That wasn't the problem - the problem was the Wednesday night.

The Blackpool midfielder insists the gesture was never intended to be directed at the fans or the media, and when pressed on the matter, admitted it was aimed at individuals inside the SFA.

"It certainly wasn't the fans," said Ferguson.

"I can't blame the media for doing what they did after what happened on the Sunday for getting into trouble with the Cameron House drinking session - that's a media man's job, to get stories.

"They make some stories up, but it certainly wasn't aimed at the fans for what people had said.

"The simple fact is, if it was to the fans, I would be doing it to 10 or 15 of my mates who go to the games.

"But I can't turn the clock back. That's what happened. Some things happen for a reason - there's anger at others, but I'm more angry at myself for letting myself doing something stupid like that and give people to write about that aren't true."

When Craig Levein took over after George Burley was sacked as manager, the door was opened for Ferguson to return to the national side, but despite several conversations with the new manager, he decided not to return to international competition.

"I was delighted that Craig wanted to speak to me," said Ferguson.

"I spoke to him and Nick Oliver and we had a quick chat. I'm always one to go and ask guys who I respect in the game, who are experienced like Artur Numan and Craig Moore, or my brother and my dad.

"At the end of the day, the decision has to come from me and I just didn't feel it was right.

"Craig came in and has a core of young players coming through, and I think I made the right decision to go away from it and let Scotland rebuild."

Ok Barry so basically what you're saying is "i'm a fucking nobber who let the fans down, but i still wanted to get it up the guys who gave me my chance at international level byraway"

Fucking clown!

Ok Barry so basically what you're saying is "i'm a fucking nobber who let the fans down, but i still wanted to get it up the guys who gave me my chance at international level byraway"

Fucking clown!

Regardless of the explanation and how he tires to justify it that is the sort of behaviour you'd expect from a primary school kit not a 30 year old.

Let me tidy that whole article up...

Barry Ferguson has told BBC Scotland his V-sign gesture during a Scotland match against Iceland was because he's Rangers scum.

There, that aught to do it.

Pretty sure that was the original headline for the story but it got lost in translation :hysterical:

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
Blackpool midfielder Barry Ferguson could reportedly be set for a surprise switch to League Two outfit Fleetwood Town.

The 34-year-old is expected to depart Bloomfield Road in search of regular first-team football, but reported moves to Championship clubs have not yet materialised.

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway told The Blackpool Gazette: "We are hopeful he will go on a short-term loan to our local neighbours. My chairman dealt with it in a really good way.

"And we've come to a really good solution. It was the chairman's idea, the resolution, and it looks like it will be a good resolution for everyone.

"He'll go on a short-term loan and Karl has said he can have a free, that's a big statement for a player he spent £750,000 on."

Meanwhile, Fleetwood boss Micky Mellon stated: "There is still a lot needed to be done before it happens, but I have spoken to Ian Holloway - now I need to speak to Barry Ferguson to see how he feels.

"Obviously, when a player of that calibre may be available, you have to be interested."

Ferguson made 45 international appearances for Scotland.

Read the full story on Sports Mole at: http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/blackpool/transfer-talk/news/report-ferguson-to-join-fleetwood_52212.html

lolrangers.gif

Youl Mawene and Barry Nicholson are also at Fleetwood.

I agree, but not the worst - he married into a staunch Celtic supporting family.

More than the likes of Davie Cooper did, who left Iprix when they signed Mo Johnston because they signed a Kafflick - now he WAS a horrible hun bastard

The list of horrible hun bastards is too big a list to attempt at this time of day.

It would run into the several hundreds however :hunbash:

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Paul Ince has been sacked as manager by Blackpool and his assistant, Alex Rae, will also be leaving the club.

The club put out a statement saying: "Blackpool Football Club can confirm that manager Paul Ince and assistants Alex Rae and Steve Thompson have had their contracts terminated with immediate effect.
"Barry Ferguson will take charge of training when the players return on Thursday. A further announcement will be made in due course.
According to the Lancashire Telegraph, the former Rangers and Scotland captain, Ferguson, is likely to be named as manager in his place. Ferguson moved to Blackpool as a player from Birmingham City in 2011.
The 46-year-old won 12 out of his 42 games in charge at Bloomfield Road, Ince taking over from Michael Appleton in February last year.
Ince was summoned to Oyston's house on Sunday evening for four hours of talks about his future following the 2-0 defeat against Barnsley at the weekend.
Saturday's loss at the league's bottom club was Blackpool's ninth defeat in 10 matches and sparked angry scenes as supporters targeted Ince after the game.
Tensions have risen at Bloomfield Road not only as a consequence of poor results, that have left Blackpool 14th and eight points clear of the relegation zone, but by reports that Ince's son, Thomas, was in talks over a move to Monaco before the Barnsley game.
The England Under-21 international is out of contract in the summer and a transfer abroad would reduce the amount of compensation Blackpool would receive.

Blackpool shirts are an appropriate colour for any the rangers fans hoping to show their support for wee Barry. :sherlock:

I remember their Holland appreciation day a few years back, when all their fans were encouraged to wear orange to the match 'in recognition of the efforts made by their dutch players past and present!'

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...