Shaughnessy, Brown & Low

Went along last night to see Spartans v Forfar in a friendly in Edinburgh.

All three of our players came on at half time for Forfar. Have to say, and I am aware that it was just a friendly game, but I wasn't impressed with any of them really. Neither Brown nor Low were brave enough to take men on and Shaughnessy looked like a bombscare. Lost his man a few times and were it not for the Forfar keeper Spartans would have had a couple.

In the end Spartans brought on 5 u19 players including a 17 year old keeper after about 60 mins, with the score 0-0. forfar found it easier against the much younger team after that and won 3-0 in the end but all in all I was disappointed with the young dons. Based on last night i'd not expect to see any of them in the first team at pittodrie soon.

Went along last night to see Spartans v Forfar in a friendly in Edinburgh.

All three of our players came on at half time for Forfar. Have to say, and I am aware that it was just a friendly game, but I wasn't impressed with any of them really. Neither Brown nor Low were brave enough to take men on and Shaughnessy looked like a bombscare. Lost his man a few times and were it not for the Forfar keeper Spartans would have had a couple.

In the end Spartans brought on 5 u19 players including a 17 year old keeper after about 60 mins, with the score 0-0. forfar found it easier against the much younger team after that and won 3-0 in the end but all in all I was disappointed with the young dons. Based on last night i'd not expect to see any of them in the first team at pittodrie soon.

Very disappointing if this is a reflection of how these lads can perform rather than just an off day.

It just seems our heralded youth system is missing something at the moment.

Is it ability or is it mental attitude? Those who go regularly to see the youngsters might have some suggestions?

Very disappointing if this is a reflection of how these lads can perform rather than just an off day.

Is it ability or is it mental attitude? Those who go regularly to see the youngsters might have some suggestions?

Shaughnessy is the only one out of those three i would of said was capable of first team football.

Theres a couple in the next crop i feel could make it in Cammy Smith and Jack Grimmer.

Generally 2 or 3 a year to come into the first team is quite a good rate.

We can't expect every young player coming through the ranks to make it. We should be lucky to have 2 decent standard youngsters coming through on a yearly basis.

If I was a young player at pittodrie and I got sent out on loan to Peterhead or some 3rd division side, i'd relish the opportunity to show that I was better than the standard footballer already in that league. I'd be looking to be one of the best players in that league or at least best player in that squad.

Would be harsh to rate these guys on the one match. The small amount of game time I've seen from Low and Shaughnessy at Aberdeen they have looked not bad, and although not seeing them personally I've heard fairly good reviews of their competitive performances whilst out on loan - even noticing them getting on the scoresheet on a few occasions.

Haven't seen much of brown but not impressed by the other two at all when seen them. Shaughnessy just looks poor and although Low looks lively pretty much a one footed one trick pony with exact same trick as Scott Muirhead did which took opposition 10 minutes to work out. Suppose playing first team football at Forfar will give signs as to whether they have potential to improve and make it or not.

A mate of mine is close friends with Shaughnessy and Brown and, by the sounds of things, they aren't too bothered about breaking into the first team. Out a lot just making the most of being a young footballer with that extra beer money.

Not inclined to have a go because I'm pretty sure I'd be the same but just goes to show how players have just as much of a challenge beating the booze temptation as they do of convincing backroom staff they're good enough.

A mate of mine is close friends with Shaughnessy and Brown and, by the sounds of things, they aren't too bothered about breaking into the first team. Out a lot just making the most of being a young footballer with that extra beer money.

Not inclined to have a go because I'm pretty sure I'd be the same but just goes to show how players have just as much of a challenge beating the booze temptation as they do of convincing backroom staff they're good enough.

I'd agree. Seen them at the Aberdeenshire Cup thing up at Balmoor a few months ago. Youngsters just did not want to mix it with the Turrah auld'yins. But if you remember hearing about Scott Brown, when he was around that age, he used to fizz about the pitch saying he was going to break Neil Lennons legs etc.

This sort of thing would suggest attitude is the biggest hurdle to bringing decent youngsters through.

Would anyone else agree they've seen this with our youngsters or do we ignore this as anecdotal and not entirely representative (nothing personal Ross, Sheeptastic. Just trying to work out if this is a wide spread problem or isolated examples)

I was discussing the youth set up recently with someone when we were talking about the lack of AFC players even near the international squad.

AFC have two players in the U16 squad, (only us and the OF have more than one player in the squad) and one of those players, Craig Storie, is also the Captain, as were Grimmer and Fyvie when they were at U16.

We have one player in the U17 side (Ollie's hero)

We had three players in the U19 squad.

And 2 players in the U21 side.

We had three players in the recent U19 squad.

I think since the overhaul of the youth system which was about 5 or 6 years ago the first of the results will be the likes of Pawlett and Jack and so whilst it is taking time we may not be in that bad a shape.