The Reserve League

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but it looks like the reserve league could be making a comeback soon.

THE SFA are pushing for the return of reserve football to the Scottish game next season.

And they want it to be given a showcase on a Monday night, played in the clubs' own stadiums.

The last incarnation of the second-string league was axed by the SPL in the summer of 2009 after a vote by clubs.

But many of those sides have expressed regret over the decision after finding it impossible to get action for fringe players, returning crocks and kids no longer eligible for the Under-19s.

Now SFA performance director Mark Wotte has presented plans for a revamp which will bring the stiffs back from the dead.

At a seminar on Monday for managers and coaches, the Dutchman outlined a blueprint for a new league, which will be made up of Under-20s sides who will be allowed to field two over-age players and an over-age keeper.

But the beaks are only prepared to back the initiative financially if clubs commit to giving it a proper slot.

The demise of the reserve league was hastened when SPL sides started playing what had become an Under-21 set-up at junior grounds and training parks, played mostly on midweek afternoons.

The SFA believe that took the game away from the punters, which is why they want to see the return to the tradition of the games being played in the clubs' stadiums on a uniform night to encourages fans to go along.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/10/09/reserve-league-football-could-return-as-part-of-sfa-plan-to-revamp-scottish-game-86908-23477297/

Our club was one of the most vocal supporters of scrapping the reserve league. One of a series of bad decisions made by our club over the last few years.

We've pretty much admitted it was a mistake a few months ago when we released a lot of players with Neil Cooper stating...

"We have been delighted with their attitude and performance levels through the season and Craig and Archie have watched them since they came to the club and but unfortunately some of the boys are not quite ready to go to the next level.

"Some are not physically ready and with no reserve football there is nowhere for them to play at the club.

Hopefully we will see a return of the reserve league and with it a return of Monday night games at Pittodrie. If we as a club and nation are serious about nurturing young players we simply can't continue with they current set up where players are pretty much expected to establish their first team credentials by 19/20 years old.

I hope it returns, I couldn't believe it when they scrapped it, although in these days of austerity, I could (sort of) understand why it was binned.

Most importantly it's there to bring the youngsters through but also important to help injured players get back to fitness.

Financially, it was the correct decision.... however football-wise, scrapping the reserve league was a disasterous idea.

Unfortunately this was just another example of how our game is controlled by money!

• Site Sponsor

Financially, it was the correct decision.... however football-wise, scrapping the reserve league was a disasterous idea.

Unfortunately this was just another example of how our game is controlled by money!

This is the very reason the Club doesn't want the return of the reserve league.

I doubt it will make a return as the majority of Clubs cant afford it - although from a footballing sense, I agree this was the biggest mistake as injured players e.g. Folley could have been some way back to match fitness before now if he had a chance to play in matches.