Criminal Insanity

AndrewW

I was just talking about this with my flat mate and I was wondering what people's views on this topic were? Why can some criminals claim insanity while others can't/don't? I am guessing that Dutch guy who killed that girl has blurred reasoning between right and wrong so ergo insanity. Why is this different in the laws eye with people with mental problems killing people? The idea that some can claim insanity while others can't for similar crimes seem strange to me. Anyway we're going to fucking thrash the cunts tomorrow. COMOM ON NEW REDS.

I was just talking about this with my flat mate and I was wondering what people's views on this topic were? Why can some criminals claim insanity while others can't/don't? I am guessing that Dutch guy who killed that girl has blurred reasoning between right and wrong so ergo insanity. Why is this different in the laws eye with people with mental problems killing people? The idea that some can claim insanity while others can't for similar crimes seem strange to me. Anyway we're going to fucking thrash the cunts tomorrow. COMOM ON NEW REDS.

I think the reasoning being that you can't entirely blame someone who suffers mental illness if they go off and do some mad shit related to their mental illness. It's not their fault that they're mentally ill.

That's not to say you don't lock up the mentally ill in an institution for their, and more importantly the public's, safety.

But the mentally ill are no more responsible for their actions than someone with a flu is for sneezing.

Not saying don't punish, just saying there are mitigating circumstances.

I think the reasoning being that you can't entirely blame someone who suffers mental illness if they go off and do some mad shit related to their mental illness. It's not their fault that they're mentally ill.

That's not to say you don't lock up the mentally ill in an institution for their, and more importantly the public's, safety.

But the mentally ill are no more responsible for their actions than someone with a flu is for sneezing.

Yep. The fella who beheaded the woman in Tenerife is a prime example of this.

Bonkers

nah you can be mental but i dont think it completely excuses you for knocking someone off.

why do you never hear stories of mentalists going round adopting homelesses?

or putting thier house up for sale with a selling price of 5 quid?

or going round buying folk free rounds?

some people are just weird. and get their kicks by killing folk.

even if they are mentalists.

Yep. The fella who beheaded the woman in Tenerife is a prime example of this.

Bonkers

check out the story of this japoon mentalist issey sagawa.

on the face of it you would say he is bonkers but is savvy enough to have avoided a stint in the jug.

some folk just like gutting a victim like a pig..

Yellow Peril.

nah you can be mental but i dont think it completely excuses you for knocking someone off.

why do you never hear stories of mentalists going round adopting homelesses?

or putting thier house up for sale with a selling price of 5 quid?

or going round buying folk free rounds?

some people are just weird. and get their kicks by killing folk.

even if they are mentalists.

I did say regardless of mental illness that there needs to be repercussions for doing mental shit, even if that's just being locked up in a padded room and denied access to sharp cutlery....

...however there are degrees of mental illness, from a little OCD right up to buying a knife so you can go hack a tourist's head off.

If your level of mental illness is, say, on occasion you deliberately go out with your shoes on the wrong feet then you're probably 99% responsible for your own actions.

If, on the other hand, your level of mental illness sees you rocking yourself back and forth in darkened rooms and screaming in rage at imaginary monsters, while sticking knitting needles through your extremities to cast out the demons who have possessed your body, or say, getting a Batman tattoo and thinking it's cool... then I'd say any subsequent murderous activities on your part are probably not really your fault, because clearly you're not all there.

Is all I'm saying.