Thought For Today

phoenix

Robert Fisk: Do those who flaunt the poppy on their lapels know that they mock the war dead?

I turned on the television in my Damascus hotel room to witness a dreary sight: all the boys and girls of BBC World wearing their little poppies again.

Bright red they were, with that particularly silly green leaf out of the top

Deliberately provocative article - just because a symbol is misused and misunderstood by some does not mean the symbol has lost its validity just that the education has partially failed.

War is hell, not a good way to solve problems and involves death, terror and maiming on a dreadful scale. It is good to recognise this lest we too eagerly repeat it. Likewise we should recognise and honour the sacrifice, willing and unwilling, of those who put themselves in harms way for our freedom. Cliche to be sure but also true. There are many ways of doing this and for me wearing a poppy is one - but I do abhore the poppy fascism that goes on.

Aye Crossbow , I think you may be right , Fisk is a formidable investigative , political journalist and will be challenging us to 'remember' for all the right reasons...not the wrong.

I think wars today occur as much because of the weaponry we create to fight them......too much commercial interest.....there are many people who just don't care and regard war as inevitable so why not.....there will always be somebody else to supply if we don't. A big industry on which many people depend , like the Pharmaceutical Industry , doing more harm than good , arguably.

Evil !

Quelle Surprise............I just typed Robert Fisk and IRA into google, first article up..

Robert Fisk Poses A Northern Ireland-Gaza Analogy

Longtime Middle East correspondent Robert Fisk (left), writing in The Independent, compared the way the British responded to the IRA to the way the Israelis are responding to Hamas in Gaza:

Quelle Surprise............I just typed Robert Fisk and IRA into google, first article up..

Robert Fisk Poses A Northern Ireland-Gaza Analogy

Longtime Middle East correspondent Robert Fisk (left), writing in The Independent, compared the way the British responded to the IRA to the way the Israelis are responding to Hamas in Gaza:

I don't recall the British sticking the Irish in concentration camps, or kicking the Irish out of their houses, or bulldozing Irish families to death, or executing Irish people at check points, or building a wall right through the middle of Dublin, or sending soldiers into the Republic, or bombing aforementioned concentration camps full of Irish men, women and children, or ignoring UN resolutions, or sending tanks into Irish villages and opening fire, or shelling Irish families on the beach, or cutting off medical supplies and food to the Irish....

But yeah, apart from everything the Israelis do, the British were just like the Israelis.

Is there an address I can go to in order to kick this Fisk guy square in his lying balls?