Emergency Alert System (Usa)

a don in oz

Man... they have successfully created a system that would make you probably crap yourself just by the sound of it before you hear anything informative.This is a video of a live test done of the EAN (ie: all tv and radio just cuts to it) in Alaska last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coj1RS2fu1U

They're doing a USA wide (the entire country not limited to the continental land mass) in the next week I believe.I really hope everyone knows it's coming or there will be brown trousers...

They've had the system or ones that do the role for decades but they've never had a test of it across the board and the instances where it has been tested or false-alarmed have proven that it's never been exactly very good. So it's about time they tested it nationally I'd say!

Though one glaring issue is the amount of time it plays the freaky deaky with you before letting you know it's just a test!? Why doesn't it have that in the visual context straight from the off, and after the audio beeps (which are wakeup-and-handshake signals for other related equipment in the EAS) immediately say this is a test. Instead of making you (and your sphincter) hang on that long!

And yeah the conspiracy theorist in me just loves this too. What do they know is coming that we dont....

See... I saw that, posted it... then ended up doing a chain of google searches that took me to one of the best and definitely the most miserable film of all time... and where its available to view online and I'm now 45mins into it and feeling like offing myself! Great stuff!

http://video.google....90698427111488#

<edit to add> Well bloody hell I can't believe I just did that to myself again. It's truly stunning TV but I now think I need a pint of voddie to get over it.

Such a good but mind-charringly awful film. Unrelenting.

The septic tanks used 'brown noise' technology in the invasion of Iraq, resulting in grown Iraqi soldiers weeping, wailing and soiling themselves before a bullet had been fired in earnest.

Maybe that's what's wrong with Darren Mackie, could be that there's brown noise coming seeping out the pitch at Pittodrie resulting in him shitting himself every time he gets a sight of goal, you never know.

The septic tanks used 'brown noise' technology in the invasion of Iraq, resulting in grown Iraqi soldiers weeping, wailing and soiling themselves before a bullet had been fired in earnest.

Maybe that's what's wrong with Darren Mackie, could be that there's brown noise coming seeping out the pitch at Pittodrie resulting in him shitting himself every time he gets a sight of goal, you never know.

I read somewhere that certain the US Military have tested certain frequencies of 'White Noise' that can be used to kill enemy soldiers, anyone else aware of this?

I read somewhere that certain the US Military have tested certain frequencies of 'White Noise' that can be used to kill enemy soldiers, anyone else aware of this?

Aye, The Men Who Stare at Goats, read it, cunts even managed to make some cunt invisible briefly, they're up to allsorts, some radge killed the goat by staring at it and focusing the mind.

Why they had goats in the first place at a military base is anyone's guess, boofon can elaborate on that no doubt.

See... I saw that, posted it... then ended up doing a chain of google searches that took me to one of the best and definitely the most miserable film of all time... and where its available to view online and I'm now 45mins into it and feeling like offing myself! Great stuff!

http://video.google....90698427111488#

<edit to add> Well bloody hell I can't believe I just did that to myself again. It's truly stunning TV but I now think I need a pint of voddie to get over it.

Such a good but mind-charringly awful film. Unrelenting.

Oh christ that film is just a pant-shitter from the off. I've watched it a few times and it just makes you skitter ever time you hear Iran/North Korea and nuclear or Ultranationalism and Russia in the same sentence.

Properly brutalist graphic design and pretty uncompromising audio too. Intimidating stuff!

Aye, compared to Japanese earthquake warnings. Watched the documentary about the Japan earthquake and tsunami and they have this little "doodleBEEP" and a pretty wee graphic of where the earthquake is about to hit pops up in the corner of your screen, so that your viewing is uninterrupted.

We get the test of the Emergency System every month.... nothing particularly worrying about it.

first Saturday of every month the sirens go off and Basic Telly is interrupted by that annoying alarm, accompanied by the message, "This is a test of the Emergency Procedure System: or some such bollocks.

Kinda handy when you live at the end of 'Tornado Alley' as we do. If we didn't have the warning the first thing you'd know about a tornado would be when it snatches you up and dumps you on top of a Wicked Witch.

We get some pretty fucked up weather here, so yay for the warning system.

As for FEMA, they got their arses handed to them during Katrina because they were woefully underprepared... then we had National Guard locking up thousands of black folks in stadiums where the inmates went on mad raping sprees thanks to the lack of any kind of pre-planned order.

Since then they've been trying to get their shit together... ordering plastic coffins and body bags, dehydrated rations, blankets, all the kinds of shit you would need in the event of another Katrina. But the conspiracy nuts see this happening and start blogging hysteria about how FEMA's coming to kill just a whole fuckload of people.

Americans are about as highly strung as white folks can get...

This is what we have up in North Queensland when there is a cyclone about.

This sound is on the telly and radio every half hour when there is a Cyclone around.

Didn't have TV during the floods (since there was no power for well over a week) but on the radio used to get that siren/alert tone... think I'd gladly never have to listen to it again. Just hearing that (I didn't realise it was a standard Aus/Qld? tone) sent me back to sitting in the fucking car wondering what'd be left of the house when we got back. Pavlovian response alright. :\

On a slight tangent, back in High School (eh bided in Canada) the roof of the school had an air-raid siren.

No word of a lie, we were watching some nuclear holocaust type film in English one day and the fuckin thing went off. The whole classroom had a collective heart-attack.

Went to see Robocop at the old cinema in Invergordon when it was first released. Right about the time ED-209 was about to let loose a hail of bullets there were massive crashing and banging noises at the fire escape. It was just some lads outside booting the door but I near shat myself.