Latest Purchase Thread

Big Man

6 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Playing the percentages means taking the right option for you, which also means knowing your strengths. I would be the opposite as my pitching, especially with loft - W58 is my most lofted - is really bad (no confidence, never practise it) and my putting is very good.

A very common weakness is using more loft than we need too often. Chippy (Paul Lawrie) uses a huge variety of clubs around the greens whereas too many highly-talented teenagers reach for their most lofted club too often, in some cases exclusively. When we are a yard or two off the green with 20 or 30+ feet to work with, get it on the deck quicker and forget about spin. Been watching TV too much. The art of the chip and run not being taught enough. 

Agree to a large extent and sometimes the percentage shot definitely reduces risk.

However, there is no better thing to see than somebody executing a lofted pitch to perfection. Nip it in, one or two bounces then spin and stop. That is the real sign of confidence, being fully committed to the shot and being able to release the club uninhibited.

12 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Agree to a large extent but without data, we won't know what the percentage play is for any particular individual. 

Fair point.

Golf is always going to be a feel game though, relying on instinct and judgement.

Data will not really tell you that you are going to hit an 8 iron 230 on a 10mph downwind scenario due to adrenaline or feeling particularly warm and loose that day.

I am a spontaneous type of player and prefer not to be data over reliant.

Just me though and i am probably saying that as i have never had the benefit of that level of analysis and subsequent data.

3 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I liked his stuff about picking a target in the skyline and it works well for me off the tee. Also the theory in “golf is not a game of perfect” is really good IMO

Golf is not a game of perfect is an excellent concept and delves into the psychology of the game. 

I prefer the have a few lagers when you are playing now text book which also helps me accept hitting shite shots.

As RS said quite rightly with putting, its the biggest part.

A phrase i often hear banded about that always rings true is golf is 90% between the ears.

If you can get your head in the right place playing golf, enjoy it and learn to accept and quickly forget your mistakes, you are on the right track for sure.

I do like helicopter clubs after a series of frustrating shit shots though still 

Not a great deal of shotmakers left if we can call them that.

Ball and club evolution has also contributed to making shots harder to shape i suppose, given the design of intended less spin rate gear.

Your level of study and analysis of this is very interesting RS.

I was very technical when i was younger and almost got to plus 3 of a handicap being self taught. God knows how much better i could have got with the benefit of a level of support and analysis.

14 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Tanzan & Ekido were once travelling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was still falling.

Coming round the bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash (definitely not one worn by the father of a dirty orange hun bastard), unable to cross the intersection.

“Come on, girl” said Tanzan at once. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.

Ekido did not speak again until that night when they reached a lodging temple.
Then he could no longer restrain himself. “We monks don’t go near females,” he told Tanzan, “especially not young and lovely ones. It is dangerous. “Why did you do that?”

“I left the girl there,” said Tanzan. “Are you still carrying her?”

ZEN FLESH, ZEN BONES – “Muddy Road”

I skim read it in 3seconds as ‘coming round the mountain’ 

Fair enjoyed it.

2 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

. I once got a text from a client that read something like "the greens were terrible but I still holed the world, putting is all about confidence and attitude". I remember the exact words of my six word response;  "Correctamundo. Your education is now complete". It was over two years of education, just on his putting alone. 

Sounds like a teacher’s pet 

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

Fair point.

Golf is always going to be a feel game though, relying on instinct and judgement.

Data will not really tell you that you are going to hit an 8 iron 230 on a 10mph downwind scenario due to adrenaline or feeling particularly warm and loose that day.

Just me though and i am probably saying that as i have never had the benefit of that level of analysis and subsequent data.

Yeah, it is faintly ridiculous.

13 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

Fair point.

Can I add understanding to that list at para 2. To any young loon  If you can understand why the auld mannie with the shite swing that you can out drive and basically overpower with every club has a lower hcp than you and beats you regularly And consistently features in stroke play medals - the true test, none of this stableford or match play shite then you’ll go far.  That’s the true meaning of Rotellas imperfect, as my politically incorrect Coach used to say “getting it in the fucking hole, ugly as fuck”

and yes it was golf he was speaking about, at least in that story.