Smoking In Cars

Dynamo

What are peoples opinions on this?

I heard in on the radio during the looong drive home.

Some group proposing a ban on smoking in cars.

I'm no smoker, but this is ridiculous, for the reasons given - health. Surely as a car is private property people should be allowed to smoke in it if they wish?

The smoking ban in pubs etc was great but this is going way OTT.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if the government are this determined to make smoking as difficult as possible namely cant do it anywhere and when you can, it costs a small fortune per fag....why not just do more to promote e-cigs?

afterall, its not the smoking part that kills, its the tar that gets into your lungs. e-cigs have no burning element and instead just supply pure nicotine is vapour form. then what comes out isnt 2nd hand smoke, its just vapour. its no more lethal to bystanders than burping out a cloud. i mean ffs, its not even called an e-cig (smoking) anymore, its vapourising.

I have no opinion either way.

I am a smoker (trying to quit) - however I never smoke in the car, nor if I'm a passenger in someone elses car who just so happens to be smoking.

I just don't like smoking in a car, never really have liked it.

I'm the same, I'm a smoker but I never smoke in the car. There's nothing worse than a car that stinks of fags, having said that it's 100% up to the driver, it's nobody elses decision. Imagine being fined for smoking in your own car, it's madness.

As was pointed out by someone on the radio today it is already illegal to smoke in company cars or private cars that are being used for work purposes. The police at the moment though choose not to enforce this that rigorously.

I think the BMA are lobbying for a total ban so the compromise position of a ban when children in the car will eventually be reached and agreed on. The total ban position gives them some wriggle-room whilst the debate is ongoing.

As was pointed out by someone on the radio today it is already illegal to smoke in company cars or private cars that are being used for work purposes. The police at the moment though choose not to enforce this that rigorously.

I think the BMA are lobbying for a total ban so the compromise position of a ban when children in the car will eventually be reached and agreed on. The total ban position gives them some wriggle-room whilst the debate is ongoing.

I'm pretty sure the first part is wrong - unless you have other workmates in the car or other workers have access to it.

The second part make sense- horsetrading makes the world go round.

However, it makes no sense for an increased smoking ban as it will lead to decreased tax revenues - not a good idea in a recession.

It also doesn't make any sense for the Tories or Liberals to get involved as they spent the last decade or so crticising Labour's "Nanny State".

They'd be torn to shreds - particularly the Tories - can you imagine their key funders being happy about being denied the smoking of cigars in their limos when they already can't do it down the club?

I'm sure the smoke people exhale is really the worst fucking pollutant to come out a car :itch-chin:

Fucking pig sick of the witch hunt us smokers are going through at the moment. Banned from fucking everywhere including outside when at events.

Ok i might not agree with the car situation but i'm delighted with the smoking ban in general. Best thing to happen.

I'm sure the smoke people exhale is really the worst fucking pollutant to come out a car :itch-chin:

Fucking pig sick of the witch hunt us smokers are going through at the moment. Banned from fucking everywhere including outside when at events.

Don't have that problem here in Baku...It's openly encouraged...fu*king great...boozers smell like boozers are meant to and non smokers are in the minority :thumbup1:

Smoking in cars should be similar law-wise to using mobile phone in car. Smoking takes hand away and is as dangerous as using mobile is.

And radio report was saying that smoking banned in cars in many countries when they have kid in the car and agree with that one.

Smoking in cars should be similar law-wise to using mobile phone in car. Smoking takes hand away and is as dangerous as using mobile is.

And radio report was saying that smoking banned in cars in many countries when they have kid in the car and agree with that one.

So does changing gear,opening a window or tuning the radio...here's a clue K-9...I think it's a passive smoking thing rather than a losing control of the car thru not having both hands on the wheel type deal

That i do agree with right enough, was just thinking more the fact of banning folk from smoking in their car in general was OTT, but yes if the vehicle is moving then it should be treated like a driver using a mobile phone

Lets face facts...It's going to be impossible to police..unless K9 and others start taking down numbers and reporting people...how will they possibly be able to write down reg numbers or punch them into their mobiles without losing concentration or worse losing control of their non smoking cars...This will only become law if us fannies allow it to happen

That i do agree with right enough, was just thinking more the fact of banning folk from smoking in their car in general was OTT, but yes if the vehicle is moving then it should be treated like a driver using a mobile phone

How the fu*k does that stack up?...when using a mobile it's not the physicality of having one hand off the wheel it's the fact your concentation is else where...do you normally drive with two hands on the wheel??...it must take you a long time to get to yer destination...in first gear...or is leaving one hand on the wheel acceptable while you change gear...almost like lighting or smoking a cigarette...yes/no

Lets face facts...It's going to be impossible to police..unless K9 and others start taking down numbers and reporting people...how will they possibly be able to write down reg numbers or punch them into their mobiles without losing concentration or worse losing control of their non smoking cars...This will only become law if us fannies allow it to happen

I imagine it would be as 'impossible' to police as the mobile ban or the seat belt law. :dontknow:

Do police not have cars on the roads etc now?

Smoking Fucks, why do they think flicking them away is any better than chucking away any sort of litter.

As bad as folk who don't pick up dog shit and rapists.

I trust your speaking about the owners of the shitting dogs....not just random punters who have an adversity to picking up dog shit?

What are peoples opinions on this?

I heard in on the radio during the looong drive home.

Some group proposing a ban on smoking in cars.

I'm no smoker, but this is ridiculous, for the reasons given - health. Surely as a car is private property people should be allowed to smoke in it if they wish?

The smoking ban in pubs etc was great but this is going way OTT.

Never mind, found them.

Actually, I can see a point there.

Smoking in a car when there are children present should see the smoker having their bollocks, or tits (I'm not sexist) cut off and fed to Eastern Europeans.

If you're alone in your car, smoke up.

Never mind, found them.

Actually, I can see a point there.

Smoking in a car when there are children present should see the smoker having their bollocks, or tits (I'm not sexist) cut off and fed to Eastern Europeans.

If you're alone in your car, smoke up.

Surely any parent would not smoke in a car with their child there anyway at the moment?

Yes I know there will be minks who do. Making it illegal won't stop them.

Many people still use their phone whilst driving. Many people still speed.

In this case surely it's education that would solve the problem and not just making it illegal.

So you're sayong that even if the police see you doing something illegal, unless they have a photo of you doing it then they can't nick you?

Good luck with that.

For traffic offences speeding and the like they need photographic evidence/speed gun read out...your word against theirs...I can't see them going to court over it...yes they'll catch a few who will admit to it...but a warning is probably the worst that will happen....never admit to anything.

For traffic offences speeding and the like they need photographic evidence/speed gun read out...your word against theirs...I can't see them going to court over it...yes they'll catch a few who will admit to it...but a warning is probably the worst that will happen....never admit to anything.

9/10 times they'll try I'll bet.

The police are wankers - in general. The decent ones are in the minority.

Dinna trust them.

Surely any parent would not smoke in a car with their child there anyway at the moment?

Yes I know there will be minks who do. Making it illegal won't stop them.

Many people still use their phone whilst driving. Many people still speed.

In this case surely it's education that would solve the problem and not just making it illegal.

See loads of tinks doing it. I haven't smoked in the car (or house) since my son was born.

The issue is that if this ban were to come into effect, it's one step away from banning smoking in the home.