Some Girls Deluxe Edition

phoenix

Enthused by the contemporary influences of punk and disco, the Stones' 1978 offering Some Girls was easily their best since Exile on Main Street, spawning such hits as "Miss You", "Beast of Burden" and "Respectable".

And as the extra dozen outtakes confirm, there was plenty to spare, from the rollicking R&B of "So Young" and Chicago blues of "When You're Gone" to the frowsy country style of "No Spare Parts" and the Hank Williams cover "You Win Again", with Ronnie Wood's lachrymose pedal steel curling around the songs. The opener "Claudine" is a Jerry Lee Lewis-style rockabilly rave-up, in which Jagger doggedly breaches PC protocol with his advice to keep the safety catch on when pistol-whipping one's wife. It all adds up to probably the best Stones album since... well, since Some Girls, actually.

DOWNLOAD THIS Claudine; So Young; When You're Gone; No Spare Parts; You Win Again

1964 The Rolling Stones

1964 12 x 5

1965 The Rolling Stones No. 2

1965 The Rolling Stones, Now!

1965 Out of Our Heads

1965 December's Children (And Everybody's)

1966 Aftermath

1967 Between the Buttons

1967 Their Satanic Majesties Request

1968 Beggars Banquet

1969 Let It Bleed

1971 Sticky Fingers

1972 Exile on Main St.

1973 Goats Head Soup

1974 It's Only Rock 'n Roll

1976 Black and Blue

1978 Some Girls

1980 Emotional Rescue

1981 Tattoo You

1983 Undercover

1986 Dirty Work

1989 Steel Wheels

1991 Collectibles

1994 Voodoo Brew

1994 Voodoo Lounge

1997 Bridges to Babylon

2005 A Bigger Bang

Stuck 'Tattoo You' on my record deck the other night and was reminded how shite it was.....and they started out with such promise too.

Correct tut ! It all ended with Exile for me altho' I kept on running with them for a wee while after.....like a wounded animal.

The first album was possibly the most exhileration I've every had out of a piece of vinyl , mind. Hard for today's Youth to understand probably.....but I was ripe! at 17.

Second album disappointed tho' , then these are nae too shabby:

1964 The Rolling Stones

1965 Out of Our Heads

1966 Aftermath

1967 Between the Buttons

'She Said Yeah' off 'Out Of Our Heads' is used currently for an add on TV. Goes to show the 'power' of advertising when I cannae remember which ad. It was a Larry Williams cover , arguably the better version.

My mum still has the original vinyls for 'The Rolling Stones' and 'Out of Our Heads'. She had 'Aftermath' also but she claims my uncle 'borrowed' it and didn't return it.

As a kid, I remember playing these albums over and over again on some old record player, thinking they were much better than any of music that was in the charts at the time (80's).

I agree that Exile was essentially the end for the Stones, it was their zenith! Anything they made after Exile could never be as good.

phoenix, the advert is for a Chanel man's fragrance. Video directed by Scorsese, I did not know that.

http://www.rollingstones.com/news/classic-stones-track-she-said-yeah-appears-new-chanel-tv-advert-directed-scorsese

Talking of Scorsese, did you catch his 2 part documentary on George Harrison the other day?

George Harrison: Living in the Material World

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/10/05/martin-scorsese-on-george-harrisons-quest-for-meaning/

phoenix, the advert is for a Chanel man's fragrance. Video directed by Scorsese, I did not know that.

http://www.rollingst...rected-scorsese

Talking of Scorsese, did you catch his 2 part documentary on George Harrison the other day?

http://blogs.wsj.com...st-for-meaning/

Thanks for that , tut.....it was bugging me.

Your Mum sounds like my kinda woman ! :thumbs:

Yes...I've got the Scorcese on hard drive waiting to get printed to dvd , watched pt2 which was reckoned to be best.

What a run of albums that was. 4 classic albums produced over a 4 year period. Amazing.

Agreed Tut, a brilliant 4 years for them there and apart from the odd good later tune, never bettered that era for them

http://www.rollingstones.com/news/classic-stones-track-she-said-yeah-appears-new-chanel-tv-advert-directed-scorsese

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/10/05/martin-scorsese-on-george-harrisons-quest-for-meaning/

I forgot to record that George Harrison documentary, hopefully repeated soon enough :crossfingers:

Beggars Banquet to exile are obviously their best period, an unbelievable period but I disagree they were finished after that. Black and Blue is a good album and Some Girls is excellent. Pheonix i disagree about Tattoo You, i think it is pretty good, especially when you consider it's basically a B-sides and rarities album I think it's fairly cohesive. An excellent band.

Beggars Banquet to exile are obviously their best period, an unbelievable period but I disagree they were finished after that. Black and Blue is a good album and Some Girls is excellent. Pheonix i disagree about Tattoo You, i think it is pretty good, especially when you consider it's basically a B-sides and rarities album I think it's fairly cohesive. An excellent band.

Black and Blue just passes muster for me Chrisyboy.....but I was a few months away from reaching 30 , Mick Taylor had left the band and everything seemed to be changing...as it does. I've never really given up on the music but there are diminishing returns and it is a quest to find the music appropriate to the inner changes within the self. I was really digging jazz rock by now.....and then punk came along. AAAAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhh! Great if you were a teenager with an attitude and some resentment but I'd worked all that out and needed more sophistication. Very little punk past muster for me but I know it means a lot to that specific generation.

Black and Blue just passes muster for me Chrisyboy.....but I was a few months away from reaching 30 , Mick Taylor had left the band and everything seemed to be changing...as it does. I've never really given up on the music but there are diminishing returns and it is a quest to find the music appropriate to the inner changes within the self. I was really digging jazz rock by now.....and then punk came along. AAAAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhh! Great if you were a teenager with an attitude and some resentment but I'd worked all that out and needed more sophistication. Very little punk past muster for me but I know it means a lot to that specific generation.

I suppose it's all about timing, I can only imagine what hearing Paint it Black or Satisfaction must have been like for a teenager at that time or better still Gimme Shelter. I'm a child of the 80's and those tunes still felt like a jolt of electricity to me when I first heard them. Hendrix also sounded like it came from another planet when I was a nipper, I feel sorry for the kids today who think it's just old fashioned music. What about the clash, they had a bit more to them than just teenage rebellion.

I suppose it's all about timing, I can only imagine what hearing Paint it Black or Satisfaction must have been like for a teenager at that time or better still Gimme Shelter. I'm a child of the 80's and those tunes still felt like a jolt of electricity to me when I first heard them. Hendrix also sounded like it came from another planet when I was a nipper, I feel sorry for the kids today who think it's just old fashioned music. What about the clash, they had a bit more to them than just teenage rebellion.

As a teenager , the Stones were about the biggest rush I ever got - the music allied to the attitude ; as a teenager the Beatles were mighty but the Stones were almighty.....and then Hendrix redefined the scene. :cool: I liked the Clash , their politics and style , bought 'London Calling' but gave it away - their music never worked a charm on my ears.

Just reminded myself on 'Black And Blue''s Wikipedia entry. Critical view of 'Black And Blue' was polarized:

Lester Bangs wrote in Creem that " the heat's off, because it's all over, they really don't matter anymore or stand for anything " and " This is the first meaningless Rolling Stones album and thank God "......

but in the 1976 Creem Consumer Guide Robert Christgau rated the album an A- .

I agreed with Lester Bangs but not the 'Thank God' bit.....that did not compute. I also suspect that Robert Christgau's critique was influenced by corporate pressure , media manipulation was developing into an industry in it's own right by then.....a lot of things were starting to happen that were at first inexplicable. Hardly as manipulative as today , however. Thatcher's Britain was just a few short years away. :(

Buck , us water signs are fundamentally romantic , there was very little romance to be found in punk. It was more about hate was it nae?

If it wasnt for punk we wouldnt have had the roses or the mondays,and the punks loved reggae.

so punk = cool, for me...

True , one thing begets anither and everything changes.

Good job too otherwise it might get affa boring.

The bands of our youth mean as much to everyone , regardless of generation ' it's personal , maaan. I have no doubt that I would be slagging off the old if I were 20 or 30 years younger. I hated one time teen idol Frank Sinatra when I was young.

True , one thing begets anither and everything changes.

Good job too otherwise it might get affa boring.

The bands of our youth mean as much to everyone , regardless of generation ' it's personal , maaan. I have no doubt that I would be slagging off the old if I were 20 or 30 years younger. I hated one time teen idol Frank Sinatra when I was young.

thats just spot on phoen min.. :thumbup1: