New Puppy

DD1903

The mrs and I have just bought ourselves a spaniel pup. He's a cracking wee thing. She's lived around dogs all her life, but I'm new to owning a dog!

Anyone got any hints or tips in how to bring up the wee fella successfully? Particularly toilet training - taking him out every couple of hours but having mixed success!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mrs and I have just bought ourselves a spaniel pup. He's a cracking wee thing. She's lived around dogs all her life, but I'm new to owning a dog!

Anyone got any hints or tips in how to bring up the wee fella successfully? Particularly toilet training - taking him out every couple of hours but having mixed success!

congratulations!

pictures? :)

A Spaniel? Are you mental?

Those things are constantly coked up to the eyeballs. Boundless energy.

My advice is the same with any dog. They need and appreciate consistent rules. You should never need to strike your dog. Be firm and in control and spend a little bit of time training it every day.

Good luck with it, but a Spaniel. Fuck...

Enjoy!

Newspaper at one specific place in the house so he knows where

to head when he's needin.

Praise him up when he manages to do it on paper, it comes naturally to many.

Next Week : how to get your dog to fetch you a beer from the fridge.

Enjoy!

Aye. Put the newspaper by the door to the garden so he gets the hang of where he needs to go. I would use a Daily Record.

If its a dog you've got then you have to assert your authority from day 1 especially if you're going to let him keep his nuts.

If its a bitch then lifes a bit easier, they will do what they are told a lot easier.

Tommy's toilet training trick works a treat, have to give it smarts quickly though, the amount of pish that a dog can produce will ruin even the most protected of floors pretty quickly. If you just take them out and wait for them to pee they never learn how to ask and you'll never spot when they need.

I've just taken on a 4 year old boxer dog. He's going to need a lot of obedience training and a firm hand for a while. He's a brazen bugger and he's testing his boundaries at the moment. You just have to make sure they know you're in charge, do that and they'll do exactly what you want when you want, dont do that and dogs especially will really test your patience.

ask millertime

How old is the pup?

I used to have a spaniel, but that story is for another thread. :(

Enjoy!

Aye. Put the newspaper by the door to the garden so he gets the hang of where he needs to go. I would use a Daily Record.

If its a dog you've got then you have to assert your authority from day 1 especially if you're going to let him keep his nuts.

If its a bitch then lifes a bit easier, they will do what they are told a lot easier.

Tommy's toilet training trick works a treat, have to give it smarts quickly though, the amount of pish that a dog can produce will ruin even the most protected of floors pretty quickly. If you just take them out and wait for them to pee they never learn how to ask and you'll never spot when they need.

I've just taken on a 4 year old boxer dog. He's going to need a lot of obedience training and a firm hand for a while. He's a brazen bugger and he's testing his boundaries at the moment. You just have to make sure they know you're in charge, do that and they'll do exactly what you want when you want, dont do that and dogs especially will really test your patience.

Cheers for the tips folks. We've got the pee pads which he's managed to use a few times and he's gone outside a few times. Starting to pick up on his 'hinting', especially when he's in his cage. I'll move the pad to the back door and watch what he does.

I used to have a spaniel. Absolutely mental dog but huge amounts of fun and pretty intelligent.

I used this method on my current wolf (collie cross rottie). Take it outside and tell it to do the toilet. Repeat yourself. Then utterly heap praise on it when it does. You feel an utter bell doing it, but now my dog can pish or dump on demand. He's getting older now and doesn't like going outside too much so now does 1 piss a day. Takes him a full 3 minutes to empty his bladder. And only shits every two days (three shits on that walk though).

Dogs rock. Inlaws have two and didnt train them as well. Utter retards of dogs. If dogs travelled in busses theirs would only get on the yellow bus. They also have cats. I hate cats. They have a "pet chair" that one of their cats was on. My dog wanted on it. So he dragged their cat off by the head. He had it's whole head in his mouth. Comical to hear them all scream then my dog look at them as if to say "shut the hell up I just want a seat"

That's what we're trying to do TB. Mixed success just now. He went in a wee pishing session there though. 4 in the kitchen, ignoring the pad, then stopped him about to do another and had him outside for it and a shit

If you catch him pishing where he shouldn't be then you need to raise your voice to him. Enough to give him a shock and make him stop. Then place him on the Daily Record and shower him with praise.

If you catch him pishing where he shouldn't be then you need to raise your voice to him. Enough to give him a shock and make him stop. Then place him on the Daily Record and shower him with praise.

Been trying that BC. It's doing the trick best when he's trying a 2. Totally throws him when he gets a 'no' - enough to get him outside or onto the pad

Been trying that BC. It's doing the trick best when he's trying a 2. Totally throws him when he gets a 'no' - enough to get him outside or onto the pad

Aye, easier said than done!

Of the two dogs I've owned, Holly was pretty much a genius and probably reads Shakespeare in her spare time. Archie is just a mentalist and killed our neighbour's Guinea Pig - right in front of our neighbour's 3 year old daughter. Tears were shed.

He had his eye on it for months. All it took was a split second of lapse security by a three year old and he was in it's cage gripping it by the neck.

The poor thing lasted another day before it croaked. Archie is still unpopular in certain circles.

On the plus side, he once caught a Pheasant. Good boy!!!

on the upside, guinea pigs don't tend to have a very long life span. so if Archie had his eye on it for *months* and it was already of an age -- it probably wouldn't have been long for this world anyway. really one could say that Archie did the owner and the GP a kind service (not watching the GP descend into old age, with whatever attendant problems GPs have. do you think GPs get dementia and just wander around in circles?)

on the upside, guinea pigs don't tend to have a very long life span. so if Archie had his eye on it for *months* and it was already of an age -- it probably wouldn't have been long for this world anyway. really one could say that Archie did the owner and the GP a kind service (not watching the GP descend into old age, with whatever attendant problems GPs have. do you think GPs get dementia and just wander around in circles?)

Am not sure LGIR. I know they cost

Pretty crap pet though. Friends of mine owned a rat and one of my best mates was in tears when it died. 'Speedy'. He was a pain in the hoop and I'm sure they made a point of releasing him from his cage whenever I was around just to freak me out.

Them:

'He's harmless'

'He only pees water'

Me:

'Get that thing the fuck away from me!'

Pretty crap pet though. Friends of mine owned a rat and one of my best mates was in tears when it died. 'Speedy'. He was a pain in the hoop and I'm sure they made a point of releasing him from his cage whenever I was around just to freak me out.

Them:

'He's harmless'

'He only pees water'

Me:

'Get that thing the fuck away from me!'

Rats are nothing but delivery systems for plague fleas.

If you see one kill it.

As for dogs... obedience classes and a choke chain are a must.

We got a Westie Puppy called Chewy about 7 months ago.

Cracking wee fella and he's quite spoiled.

He took to house training quite well. Had the obvious accidents, but on the whole he managed fine. We had the pee pads by the back door, but he more often than not told us he wanted out.

He sometimes goes on command for the missus.

He's reached the age though were he's trying to hump everything in sight. If he had a wank sock he'd be the Canine equivilant of Minijc.

1st Dec is his date for bollok removal.

Probably for the best as it must be hugely frustrating for him.

He's getting chipped that day too.

Dogs are indeed ace.

Especially mine!:)

Aye, easier said than done!

Of the two dogs I've owned, Holly was pretty much a genius and probably reads Shakespeare in her spare time. Archie is just a mentalist and killed our neighbour's Guinea Pig - right in front of our neighbour's 3 year old daughter. Tears were shed.

Caught him earlier circling round and about to crouch in the hall as the mrs was leading him out - she's only turned for 2 secs. I've never moved so quickly! Was like a slow mo scene in an film with me shouting 'noooioo'!

I actually love boxers, my auntie used to breed them, two I remember were Levi and Sherman, Sherman was a monster like, was able to floor me nae bother and was hard to handle but he was a big slabbering poof most of the times.