Public Sector Strikes November 30Th

terenceandphilip

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you work in the public sector you're probably already bored by the amount of time you get off in sick days and holidays, do you really need another day off striking for pensions the country can't afford?

In answer to the tag-line to the title, yes, they should be affored the same opportunity to strike as someone in the private sector.

I can also see to a degree where they are coming from, many have gone in to jobs where they expect a good pension on retiring and on that basis they are having the rug pulled out from under them.

In the current climate though, I can't see them gaining much support and unless they do all the strikes in the world won't change government policy on it.

I genuinely feel sorry for the public sector workers who work hard beyond their payscale as the pension is one of the key perks of the job that makes the lower pay reasonable.

I don't feel sorry for the workshy who thrive under the public sector umbrella...

I think they have a cheek to be honest. The private sector pensions have been getting hammered for years. I had a final salary pension when i first started working but the companies soon put a stop to those schemes. That was 15 years ago. How dare we (the tax payer) ask them to work a bit longer and pay a bit more into their own pensions like the rest of us have had to do for years. The pensions they are being offered are still massively better than you will ever get in the private sector.

I think they have a cheek to be honest. The private sector pensions have been getting hammered for years. I had a final salary pension when i first started working but the companies soon put a stop to those schemes. That was 15 years ago. How dare we (the tax payer) ask them to work a bit longer and pay a bit more into their own pensions like the rest of us have had to do for years. The pensions they are being offered are still massively better than you will ever get in the private sector.

It is generally accepted that private sector wages are higher than public ones so the pensions were always used as a sweetner when it came too recruiting. Too then turn around and hammer the pensions will only hamper the public sector organisations in the long run when trying to employ people as they lose people to the private sector

These strikes are pointless. Are the government going to bend over and give in to their demands? No.

As I already alluded to, they need the public support. Will they get it? Will they fuck!

To me it is very ill-advised to go on strike in the current climate, the public are more likely to turn against them.

As I already alluded to, they need the public support. Will they get it? Will they fuck!

To me it is very ill-advised to go on strike in the current climate, the public are more likely to turn against them.

It'll just piss off the general public.

Folk who are meant to be at work having to take time off to look after kids/pay money to babysitters.

Piss off employers not having their staff there as need to look after kids.

Etc.

It'll just piss off the general public. Folk who are meant to be at work having to take time off to look after kids/pay money to babysitters.

Piss off employers not having their staff there as need to look off kids.

Etc.

Exactly. Meanwhile unemployment is soaring, private sector pensions are continually being cutback by employers and so on. I think the majority will be viewing this as taking the mickey right now.

These strikes are pointless. Are the government going to bend over and give in to their demands? No.

You seem to forget that many in the public sector have already renegotiated their pensions (to a less desirable scheme) within the last 4 years. It is not them making demands it is their employers insisting they pay more, work longer and receive less - that is the cause of the resentment - the employers modest negotiations only came after months of the public sector unions asking for honest negotiations rather than imposition and after the strike vote. Frankly it is yet another government shambles- in an exercise of how to do good negotiations take everything the government has done and do the opposite.

If you work in the public sector you're probably already bored by the amount of time you get off in sick days and holidays, do you really need another day off striking for pensions the country can't afford?

I'll answer on behalf of my lovely wife who will be on strike on Wednesday. As much as I despise unions they have a pretty good case for action.

Teachers (and others) are facing cuts to public services - teachers also facing unprecedented job cuts and a pay freeze. Is it fair to ask them to pay an average 3% more from their salaries on top of all that in return for a pension with worse benefits?

Fair play to them as they do a fucking great job for very little reward. Yes I know they know what they're getting into when they take that career decision but it's still pretty pish the way the government has tried to screw them over this.

Hit the bankers pensions if you want to recoup some cash.

I'll answer on behalf of my lovely wife who will be on strike on Wednesday. As much as I despise unions they have a pretty good case for action.

Teachers (and others) are facing cuts to public services - teachers also facing unprecedented job cuts and a pay freeze. Is it fair to ask them to pay an average 3% more from their salaries on top of all that in return for a pension with worse benefits?

Fair play to them as they do a fucking great job for very little reward. Yes I know they know what they're getting into when they take that career decision but it's still pretty pish the way the government has tried to screw them over this.

It is important to differentiate here.

Teachers are public sector but do an important job.

Penpushers and all sorts of council cunts are what eh was referring too. They can GTF as far as eh'm concerned, tho it's not my cash involved :thumbup1:

It is not them making demands it is their employers insisting they pay more, work longer and receive less - that is the cause of the resentment

teachers also facing unprecedented job cuts and a pay freeze. Is it fair to ask them to pay an average 3% more from their salaries on top of all that in return for a pension with worse benefits?

This and this.

I'm striking on Wednesday because I'm being asked to virtually double my pension contributions, which are already 5% of my wage, to pay another 3%, i.e reducing my monthly pay by about

First things first...if public sector work life is so good, why don't you all look for jobs in it?! And remember, public sector is more than council workers...

I'm a public sector worker and don't receive any extra holidays than your average private sector worker. I Started my job over 7 years ago signing a contract stipulating my conditions- the Tories now want to change that at the drop of a hat to save money that their rich mates squandered during the banking crisis. They want me to pay an extra 3.2 % on top of the 11 % I already pay into my pension for less at the end of it. I can't strike, but I would if i could.

dont know much about the strike but i dissagree with the bit in bold.

teachers get 1 particular benefit that nobody else gets and thats fcukin ridiculous holidays.

i dont feel sorry for teachers, they get well rewarded in that sense.

nurses i would say are less well rewarded.

shifts, low-ish wage and some not nice stuff to do.

wouldnt fancy being a bobby either.

dont know much about the strike but i dissagree with the bit in bold.

teachers get 1 particular benefit that nobody else gets and thats fcukin ridiculous holidays.

i dont feel sorry for teachers, they get well rewarded in that sense.

nurses i would say are less well rewarded.

shifts, low-ish wage and some not nice stuff to do.

wouldnt fancy being a bobby either.

Easy target...having various family members who are teachers I will always defend them on this - they work well outside the standard school opening hours, spending 3-4 evenings a week doing school work, and spending alot of time at weekends doing the same. They spend their own money producing and buying equipment for the classroom, and they will spend periods of time whilst on their 'fcukin ridiculous holidays' in their classrooms preparing for the next term.

Pick on teachers as much as you like, they deserve their holidays as much as you or I.