Ubuntu 11.1

Big Man

Aye been on ubuntu since 6-7, is great for 99% of things then there's the 1% which is a total ball ache. If you're dual booting to windoze you can just use that when to need it though.

Do like that you can just go to the app bit click on something free and better than ms and it just works. Stuff like sound/online vids and codecs and that can be a pain though. Some ubuntu freaks dinna like the new, since 11 I think, big early learning-esque fonts and stuff. Guessing you've got open office/gimp and that on it aye? Chromium is pretty nippy on it, even more so than on my windows.

Was going to wait until christmas when i had some time off, but curiosity got the better of me - i downloaded and created a partition for it this afternoon.

It is bloody gorgeous - i love it....

Gonna get to grips with it soon.

Stunning though - and so user friendly...

I dual boot fedora. Wasn't overly taxing. Just need to create a partition for it and install. Needed to piss about with boot loading tho to get win 7 to load by default. Rarely use it mind, was more of a technical endeavour.

Not sure about ubuntu, but with fedora you can run it from a USB device, so if you just want to piss about with it to see what it's like then that might be an option. I also run centOS from VirtualBox, which works really well and allows you to sample different OS's easily.

Edit - never read your last post. Ignore me.

Was going to wait until christmas when i had some time off, but curiosity got the better of me - i downloaded and created a partition for it this afternoon.

It is bloody gorgeous - i love it....

Gonna get to grips with it soon.

Stunning though - and so user friendly...

Wait till you try the compiz stuff. checkit.gif

I dual boot fedora. Wasn't overly taxing. Just need to create a partition for it and install. Needed to piss about with boot loading tho to get win 7 to load by default. Rarely use it mind, was more of a technical endeavour.

Not sure about ubuntu, but with fedora you can run it from a USB device, so if you just want to piss about with it to see what it's like then that might be an option. I also run centOS from VirtualBox, which works really well and allows you to sample different OS's easily.

Edit - never read your last post. Ignore me.

Cool - let me ask you then cause im having some trouble with this.

Every time i turn my laptop on, it goes straight to an ubuntu style boot menu: there's like 6 options

I can choose ubuntu and get it to boot ok, i can choose windows 7 and get it to boot ok,

But what i really want is it to boot straight to windows 7 or get the windows style boot menu (black screen with the simple white text). I tried going into windows and messing with msconfig but to no avail - how did you sort yours?

Cheers,

1323042269[/url]' post='673302']

Cool - let me ask you then cause im having some trouble with this.

Every time i turn my laptop on, it goes straight to an ubuntu style boot menu: there's like 6 options

I can choose ubuntu and get it to boot ok, i can choose windows 7 and get it to boot ok,

But what i really want is it to boot straight to windows 7 or get the windows style boot menu (black screen with the simple white text). I tried going into windows and messing with msconfig but to no avail - how did you sort yours?

Cheers,

I don't think you can go straight to windows (???). Ie. as far as i am aware windows boot is windows only. I go to the Linux boot screen that gives you the choice of OS. All I did was flip the order around, so that it will boot to windows if you do nothing, and will only boot to fedora if you actively select it (which is pretty much what I wanted). This link seems to provide the tech details for ubuntu - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto/ChangeDefaultOS.