Netbooks

King Street Loon

upto £400 = fuck that.

You can get a decent one for about £250-300. Asus make relatively good cheap ones: check PC world, comet, currys etc.

The two main things to check with a netbook are the RAM and the operating system. Everything else will always be shit.

Windows 7 is a RAM hungry beast, so if you can get a recent machine that is till shipping with XP - this is a good buy.

Most netbooks will come with 1GB RAM - you can get a 2GB DDR3 RAM chip for about £15 so its well worth upgrading. You can buy it of amazon and do it yourself.

Having said all this, your buying it for a woman so these common sense considerations will fly out the window. She'll want windows 7 cause its nice and shiny and new, and she'll want it to be pink.

- Oh aye and get her a 16GB USB stick that you can use permanently for ReadyBOOST - it should help to speed up your system.

When I got my wife her netbook she couldn't give a flying fuck about the OS. As long as it was pink. It wasn't, it was white. Samsung NC10 running XP. Was a decent machine, but not for normal hands. Sold it last month for an iPad. And if you've got 400 notes, and it's for a bird, surprised you ain't going down the tablet route.

Another option would be to get a netbook running linux. Should be cheaper and quicker.

When I got my wife her netbook she couldn't give a flying fuck about the OS. As long as it was pink. It wasn't, it was white. Samsung NC10 running XP. Was a decent machine, but not for normal hands. Sold it last month for an iPad. And if you've got 400 notes, and it's for a bird, surprised you ain't going down the tablet route.

Another option would be to get a netbook running linux. Should be cheaper and quicker.

Aye KSL, centraldon is nae wrong here min. I went through all this shit with my mrs about 12 months ago.

They honestly don't have a fuckin clue. Is it pink and can i get on facebook with it are a womans main computing concerns. As long as its shiny and new lookin she'll be happy.

ReadyBOOST is a windows thing.

It allows you to use a flash drive as a temporary cache. It exploits the fact that the read time from your flash drive is shorter than that from your hard drive.

It acts as an extra source of short-term memory if you like - it can compensate but is not a substitute for a lack of RAM. Those netbook things usually only have room for a 2GB chip these days.

You'll probably need to run readyboost after a while. But be warned, finding a USB drive that works as Readyboost is a total crapshoot. Dunno how much USB drives are there, but 30 bucks can get you a 16gig thumbdrive here, but it took 3 attempts to find one that worked.

Make sure you get the best possible netbook, because they aren't workhorses. They'll slow down quicker than shit if you're running a few programs. I bit the bullet and bought the wife the best/fastest netbook in the store, and even it slows down. run a little maintenance, use readyboost, you should be fine.

I recommend getting the netbook with the most inbuilt RAM, and the fastest processor possible.

You'll probably need to run readyboost after a while. But be warned, finding a USB drive that works as Readyboost is a total crapshoot. Dunno how much USB drives are there, but 30 bucks can get you a 16gig thumbdrive here, but it took 3 attempts to find one that worked.

Make sure you get the best possible netbook, because they aren't workhorses. They'll slow down quicker than shit if you're running a few programs. I bit the bullet and bought the wife the best/fastest netbook in the store, and even it slows down. run a little maintenance, use readyboost, you should be fine.

I recommend getting the netbook with the most inbuilt RAM, and the fastest processor possible.

Cheers kelt :thumbup1:

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck that centraldon, i'd have been right up their arses about that.

Even if its outside its warranty you still have rights under the sale of good act.

Well. I phoned them up. Got through to India. The boy asked me if I'd installed any software on it?????!!!!!!!?????? I had to own up and admit that, yes, in the past year I had installed software on it. Sorry, we cant support it if it's been modified was the response. I swear to God, I wish I'd recorded the conversation. There was a 100+ page thread about it in a forum with people going mental. I kept an eye on it to see if anyone made any progress, but they didn't. Could probably have done more. But I'm inherently lazy.

I held this tablet in my hands the other night , thinner than a thinly-sliced slice of bread.

I downloaded BBC iPlayer.

I watched Brian Cox's 'A Night With The Stars' , in which he attempts to enlighten us about Quantum Mechanics in front of an audience of celebrities. Without this knowledge of Quantum Mechanics we might as well be living in the 19th/20th centuries. A suitable replacement for the gap left by religion.

And I felt like I was living in the future it was so much like science fiction , holding this high def screen , lightweight in my hands and watching this programme , wirelessly.

I held this tablet in my hands the other night , thinner than a thinly-sliced slice of bread.

I downloaded BBC iPlayer.

I watched Brian Cox's 'A Night With The Stars' , in which he attempts to enlighten us about Quantum Mechanics in front of an audience of celebrities. Without this knowledge of Quantum Mechanics we might as well be living in the 19th/20th centuries. A suitable replacement for the gap left by religion.

And I felt like I was living in the future it was so much like science fiction , holding this high def screen , lightweight in my hands and watching this programme , wirelessly.

Was gonna ask what type it is, but can see its a galaxy tablet. What size? 10.1?

That's not a lot for a laptop.

However, this is the Big Mans pick:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g6-1232sa-15-6-laptop-red-11290980-pdt.html

I had a HP many moons ago - it did what i needed it to do and have no complaints. This should be a competent performer for your needs.

thumbs.gif

This is one that interests me,also being red in colours a bonus,thanks for any advice given guys :thumbup1: