Steve Paterson's Looking... Erm.

Nothing.against the guy personally but the biggest example of Milne's ineptitude

While he was a disaster, I'm currently reading his book... and Milne set the guy up to fail even more than I had previously expected.

Was never going to end well.

Pray tell. If Milne was setting him up to fall it must surely have been after he realised what a huge, grave error he had made?

From what Paterson says, he inherited Ebbe's underperforming, overpaid team of pish and his mandate was to clear out the deadwood, which was the bulk of the team, and to rebuild it using a wage cap one quarter that which had been allowed his predecessor... and he was to pay nothing but nominal transfer fees, meaning he had to do so in the freebie market. Paterson even names players, like Lee Miller, who he had identified as being capable of improving the squad, but he had neither the wages nor the transfer funds with which to attract them.

So while on the one hand he was under orders to lose current players, he hadn't the funds to even attract players who could have improved the team. This is how we ended up with a team of Division One journeymen destined for Division One.

I've also heard some say that the board was in fact well aware of Paterson's personal demons.. which to my mind would fit in pretty well with the board's policy of sacrificing managers who've been hung out to dry. How easy to blame then fire a failure of a manger who does himself no favours, even though that manager had been given a First Division budget to turn things around.

EDIT: This was the mandate from the outset, even prior to it becoming apparent he wasn't up to the task.

Paterson says himself, no way was he in any kind of mental or physical state to take the dons job but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for him and Duncan Shearer felt he had unfinished business with us.

I actually feel sorry for the guy in regards to his time here. Obviously recieved no backing from the board on the pitch or off the pitch. The board must have known his off the field problems. If not, then it shows how big a divide there is/was between the board and the manager.

Paterson's book is an eye opener. Says it exactly how it is, how alcoholism is an illness and how he wants to be brutually honest about everything without people feeling sorry for him. I think it preys on him abit that not only was his time with us his shot at managing on a decent stage but how he brought Duncan Shearer down with him when this was supposed to be Dunc's homecoming. Paterson says Shearer bailed him out and made excuses for him countless times before the shit hit the fan.

I respect Paterson alot more after reading his book.

Has he been so pissed that he doesn't know that it's December and that Movember is over.

You can shave the 'tache off Stevie loon

I'm looking forward to the lassies equivalent.

Apparently it's called 'Fanuary', where they will be letting their divots spiral hirsutely out of control before having a big snatch shaving bonanza on the 1st February.

Looking forward to that sight. If nae the apocalyptic aroma it will produce.

Fae a distance. Safest.

From what Paterson says, he inherited Ebbe's underperforming, overpaid team of pish and his mandate was to clear out the deadwood, which was the bulk of the team, and to rebuild it using a wage cap one quarter that which had been allowed his predecessor... and he was to pay nothing but nominal transfer fees, meaning he had to do so in the freebie market. Paterson even names players, like Lee Miller, who he had identified as being capable of improving the squad, but he had neither the wages nor the transfer funds with which to attract them.

In an alternate, 'Sliding Doors' type reality, I'd love to see what he (despite his unadulterated Jakeyness) could have done with the funds afforded to his predecessor and the boy that took over from him.

He was definitely hung out to dry.

Milne is a dick.

Another manager who did well before coming here.............and now this

Tbh honest youd need a drink to manage here

He should have been the brave exciting appointment, had always done well throughout his managerial career coming up the leagues, then a disaster at Pittodrie.

You have to ask how again and again it can happen, and we rinse repeat. Get a manager in and give him a big budget, then replace him with a manager and give him no budget, then back to the big budget again etc.

He should have been the brave exciting appointment, had always done well throughout his managerial career coming up the leagues, then a disaster at Pittodrie.

You have to ask how again and again it can happen, and we rinse repeat. Get a manager in and give him a big budget, then replace him with a manager and give him no budget, then back to the big budget again etc.

Think the job was too big for him, think he would probably still be at Cally if he hadnt left us.

Signed a few good players considering we were in the process of making hugs cuts at the time.

Tosh, Sheerin, Hart, Booth and Heikinen were all good players for us.

I'm looking forward to the lassies equivalent.

Apparently it's called 'Fanuary', where they will be letting their divots spiral hirsutely out of control before having a big snatch shaving bonanza on the 1st February.

Looking forward to that sight. If nae the apocalyptic aroma it will produce.

Fae a distance. Safest.

I prefer Toevember...