What Kind Of Shiny Things Do You Like?

terenceandphilip

It's the light we like , albeit of a reflected variety.

Hud on tho'.....all of what we see is reflected light.

Shiny is not necessarily best.....just different. It probably gives the chemicals in our brain a wee thrill which causes a mild and temporary elation.

Black?

Now ye're talkin' ! :cool:

When I was younger I used to love the 'Shinies' in Pannini sticker books.

Oh the memories of walking about the school playground with about 100 swaps in yer pocket looking for a sticker you need!

"got, got, got, got, got, NEEEEED!"

:hysterical:

I remember those days well! I could remember hundreds of player stickers and whether I needed them or no, but ask me to rhyme off the alphabet...

When I was younger I used to love the 'Shinies' in Pannini sticker books.

Oh the memories of walking about the school playground with about 100 swaps in yer pocket looking for a sticker you need!

"got, got, got, got, got, NEEEEED!"

:hysterical:

remember those days fondly.

i only ever completed ther 89/90 one with mark huges&paul merson and theo&billy mackinlay as the poty and ypoty ones.

i always remember folk who completed and got their final 'neeeeed', would do a 'scramble' in the playground

whether its milk bottle tops, diamond encrusted Rolex watches or a shiny pond coin - we're all fans of things that gimmer and glint in the fading evening sun.

But a wise man once said "all that glitters is gold". Well, what about silver?

Actually, it was all that glitters is not gold.

So Silver is not gold - and is not necessarily valuable either.

By that definition, even gold is not gold, but then given the quote was intended to indicate that things are often valued incorrectly, that could also be true.

Gold is a pretty good conductor and is malleable, making it a very useful material for electronic circuitry - but nowhere near as valuable as it's market price.

Led Zeppelin and the lady on the stairway to heaven would disagree with that statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9TGj2jrJk8

I think Shakespeare may just have beaten Plant and Page to the punch on that one.

"There's a lady who's sure, all that glitters is gold

And she's buying a stairway to heaven"

Considering it is easier to pass a camel through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven, I feel the lady in question may have trouble buying her stairway, which was kind of the point of the song and the original, deliberate misquote in it.

Tune and a fucking half though - Zepp rule

I think Shakespeare may just have beaten Plant and Page to the punch on that one.

"There's a lady who's sure, all that glitters is gold

And she's buying a stairway to heaven"

Considering it is easier to pass a camel through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven, I feel the lady in question may have trouble buying her stairway, which was kind of the point of the song and the original, deliberate misquote in it.

Tune and a fucking half though - Zepp rule

Proof required to quantify that statement. Pure conjecture on your part.

She could also very easily buy a stairway to heaven. It may just be that her purchase turns out to be faulty and so she'd have a claim under consumer protection laws relevant to the country she lives in.

Also heaven isn't defined in the lyrics and could actually mean somewhere called heaven and not the heaven as defined by religious cosmological beliefs.

It might also have been a typo as I've been down to a harbour in Fife and climbed a stairway to Leven.

Proof required to quantify that statement. Pure conjecture on your part.

She could also very easily buy a stairway to heaven. It may just be that her purchase turns out to be faulty and so she'd have a claim under consumer protection laws relevant to the country she lives in.

Also heaven isn't defined in the lyrics and could actually mean somewhere called heaven and not the heaven as defined by religious cosmological beliefs.

It might also have been a typo as I've been down to a harbour in Fife and climbed a stairway to Leven.

It's gospel mate.

Gospels of Matthew, Luke and Mark in fact.

And your point about heaven is rendered moot by virtue of the fact I made a tit of my earlier post - should have been Kingdom of God, not Heaven.

---

Re the lyrics, she has clearly purchased a stairway to Aberdeen on a Sunday, as she gets there to find the stores are all closed.

It's gospel mate.

Gospels of Matthew, Luke and Mark in fact.

And your point about heaven is rendered moot by virtue of the fact I made a tit of my earlier post - should have been Kingdom of God, not Heaven.

---

Re the lyrics, she has clearly purchased a stairway to Aberdeen on a Sunday, as she gets there to find the stores are all closed.

Well with Aberdeen and the surrounding area being God's Country (or Kingdom if you wish) you could be onto something there. :thumbs:

Actually, it was all that glitters is not gold.

So Silver is not gold - and is not necessarily valuable either.

By that definition, even gold is not gold, but then given the quote was intended to indicate that things are often valued incorrectly, that could also be true.

Gold is a pretty good conductor and is malleable, making it a very useful material for electronic circuitry - but nowhere near as valuable as it's market price.

Actually, it's all that glisters is not gold :blahblah1:

Actually, it's all that glisters is not gold :blahblah1:

I know

I didn't see the point in correcting that as the word is effectively interchangeable in the circumstances.

The "not" did make quite an important difference however. Correcting glisters would have taken emphasis away from the more important point - and meant we would have missed out on the Led Zeppelin conversation.