Theist, Agnostic, Atheist ?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atheist.

Absolutely no such thing as God.

My parents had a family of Bible thumpers move into a house down the street a year or so ago. And this lot have invited neighbours round for Bible readings and sent a Christmas card to my folks with a passage from Luke and that the card was sent with Christian love.

GTF.

I asked my dad if he was going to go round for a Bible reading and he just about choked on his Supper.

"not a fucking chance" was the reply.

I dinna really ken what the first two words mean, and the last one disna apply to me either I reckon.

I'm a 'couldna give a flying fuck about all that pish' kinda person.

The God Squad do my nut in, zealous cunts, park all over the place on Sunday morning but that's OK because they're attending church, therefore they canna do any wrong.

Only reason they are there in the first place is guilt at their lifestyle.

Not sure to be honest, not keen on man made gods for certain. That said, I don't believe that something can spring from nothing from a scientific point of view. However, that must have happened at some point as to be a creator you have to be created. If there was at some point absolutely nothing, which is logical, then what was the catalyst for the first ever creation?

Basically I'm confused and open to suggestion. :)

Ok, so I've never been to church, and I am in no way religious. I'm what you might call a skeptic, but not in the way most people think of it, but in the proper meaning of the word : someone who is inclined to question or doubt opinions.

I like my views to be evidence based, show me the proof and I will change my mind on something: i'm pragmatic like that.

The issue I have with the cult of god is I see no evidence for it, however, there is a chance, however small, that a God does exist, but as it is a matter of faith it isn't something that can be proved beyond doubt. I also have problems with atheism because, again, i dont think it can be proved there isn't a God.

Which all leads me to think I'm agnostic, I'm gonna be the ultimate fence sitter on this. Either way though, i dont think it matters.

I've given up on my belief in a supreme being but it is difficult to imagine that there is no intelligence at all behind this amazing trip we are all on( for better or worse ) - the immense beauty , ugliness , joy and sadness. We are expected now to accept that it just happened by accident???

Christianity comes in handy as an antidote to the Satanic and I believe Jesus walked this Earth and was about as positive a force for good as has ever walked , affa handy at the time...as of now ; nothing wrang wi' being influenced by ol' Jesus( he's alright with me ).

It's organised religion that sucks !

Listen and you can hear it. :P

all I can say is I have faith, in what I wont find out until Im deed.

That's the point tho, isn't it. You can claim to be whatever you want, but no-one knows for sure. Which is why I always include a little bit of agnostic leanings in my answer. I strongly don't believe. But it takes someone of supreme arrogance to say they know for sure; and there's plenty of them. Or Brian (he just wasn't telling).

Atheist-leaning agnostic. Stuff that gets me is: what was there before the big bang? what's outside the universe? Until that's covered by a remotely rational explanation, it's pretty impossible to argue I'm 100% atheist. Will say that even if there was a creator/overseer, they sure as shit aren't connected to any of this man-made religious bollocks...

Going down the classic line of thinking anything currently beyond explanation must default to some fantastical supernatural force at play.

There was a pretty decent programme on the BBC about what might have come before the BB. Lots of theories flying around, some are quite mental, but none as mental as the notion that some all powerful creator had anything to do with it.

Check it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vdkmj/Horizon_20102011_What_Happened_Before_the_Big_Bang/

That's the point tho, isn't it. You can claim to be whatever you want, but no-one knows for sure. Which is why I always include a little bit of agnostic leanings in my answer. I strongly don't believe. But it takes someone of supreme arrogance to say they know for sure; and there's plenty of them. Or Brian (he just wasn't telling).

history tells us jesus lived, how this has been manipulated to suit is another story, however I really think a lot of belief should be on personal experience with faith and how you live, if you believe that a great force is at work, god or any other spiritual force then go yersell I say.

The best thing to do is not to worry about any of it.

I only worry about things I impact upon.

There's no way any of us are going to know.

So why concern yourself with questions which have no answers?

Especially to concern your whole life with them, bizarre.

On organised religion, those involved to a man/woman/child have a financial motivation and do it for no other reason.

I'd relish a shift in hell.

What's the worst that could happen then?

You fall in the lava?

If so, that's hell over and done with. Just jump in it if you're that fussed.

Hardly worth going to church every week for your whole life over.

Think she watched something about the Book of Revelations or read it years ago and it scared her. Don't know exactly what the Book of Revelations is about but I imagine it's pretty grim reading if you're not a Christian.

My Granda "gave himself to God" on his death bed, but I think that was just to please my Granny and put her worries to rest.

I reckon most people turn to religion because they are afraid of what could happen after life.

The best thing to do is not to worry about any of it.

I only worry about things I impact upon.

There's no way any of us are going to know.

So why concern yourself with questions which have no answers?

Especially to concern your whole life with them, bizarre.

On organised religion, those involved to a man/woman/child have a financial motivation and do it for no other reason.

We may not know, but your belief may impact your life?

That's true, but as I've outlined above, once you confront these fears, they dissipate.

It's like the kids peppering like a bastard, just at the music, and of course the thought of the unknown, as they enter Bowser's Castle on Super Mario, you can hear him growling like a bastard as he throws fireballs and fires cannonballs with faces at you, increasing their trepidation.

With every world passed the fear grows, so that they're having kittens come World 8.

I patiently come in there and show them how it's done, bring Bowser down a peg or two, show them the error of their ways in fearing the fat, slow cunt.

If your mither is still unsure, she can pop into 'Tup's Corner' anytime, under your username if she wants to do it incognito :thumbs:

That's true, but as I've outlined above, once you confront these fears, they dissipate.

It's like the kids peppering like a bastard, just at the music, and of course the thought of the unknown, as they enter Bowser's Castle on Super Mario, you can hear him growling like a bastard as he throws fireballs and fires cannonballs with faces at you, increasing their trepidation.

With every world passed the fear grows, so that they're having kittens come World 8.

I patiently come in there and show them how it's done, bring Bowser down a peg or two, show them the error of their ways in fearing the fat, slow cunt.

If your mither is still unsure, she can pop into 'Tup's Corner' anytime, under your username if she wants to do it incognito :thumbs:

you only outcast your fears when your faith is strong, you have faith for a reason tup, many dont believe in anything as they dont believe in themselves, its easier to not to fear any spiritual wrath if you have no faith or live a henious and souless life.

Going down the classic line of thinking anything currently beyond explanation must default to some fantastical supernatural force at play.

There was a pretty decent programme on the BBC about what might have come before the BB. Lots of theories flying around, some are quite mental, but none as mental as the notion that some all powerful creator had anything to do with it.

Check it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vdkmj/Horizon_20102011_What_Happened_Before_the_Big_Bang/

My point was that declaring yourself a 100% believer in whether there is a god or not is as pointless as the alternative option. As you say, lots of theories in that programme, but no-one has proved any of them. Until they do, declaring yourself an atheist requires a degree of 'faith' as well - Just in the opposite direction and with a fuckload more proof to back up arguments.

The gist of it is: I've met a ton of people that go out of the way to tell you they're atheists and they're just as irritating and mightier-than-thou than the god-botherers... Got to hold onto some arguments to piss them off. :thumbup1:

My point was that declaring yourself a 100% believer in whether there is a god or not is as pointless as the alternative option. As you say, lots of theories in that programme, but no-one has proved any of them. Until they do, declaring yourself an atheist requires a degree of 'faith' as well - Just in the opposite direction and with a fuckload more proof to back up arguments.

The gist of it is: I've met a ton of people that go out of the way to tell you they're atheists and they're just as irritating and mightier-than-thou than the god-botherers... Got to hold onto some arguments to piss them off. :thumbup1:

most of the people who say they are atheists hivnae a clue why, they will pick oot some random statement about noahs ark or something and say its a shite.

ill be at my yearly christmas carol concert this year for the free wine and mince pies