Mobile Phones

The Boofon

Needing a new one.

Ideally with two cameras so I can have skype video calls although that's not a deal breaker.

Do any of the iphones have front and back facing cameras?

Not interested in contracts or anything like that.

Just the best phone to buy.

Phoenix you always rave about some Samsung thing I seem to remember.

The iphone 4's have front and rear facing cameras. You can use Skype. You can also use the apple native facetime if calling between tso compatible apple products (Inc ipad, ipod etc).

The Samsung galaxy s2 ranks highly among android phones. Bigger screen than the iphone and cheaper. Ive got the Samsung galaxy nexus which is the latest Samsung phone and is running the most recent version of android. You can Skype on both.

I've just Skyped with a Samsung Galaxy S2 user. Front and rear cameras. I think it's the best Android phone on the market.

I can Facetime on my Ipod with my Iphone user friends, however Facetime doesn't work when I try and call my friend in Hong Kong.

How much should I be paying for an iphone4 or a galaxy S2 with no contract? Just buying the phone.

Thanks.

Just bought an iphone 4.

Ordered a giffgaff sim as well. Cheap as chips and unlimited internet, 250 mins of calls and unlimited SMS for a tenner a month. I only use a phone every second month so giffgaff is perfect for my needs.

Anyone else use giffgaff sims?

GiffGaff is for winners.

Thanks.

Just bought an iphone 4.

Ordered a giffgaff sim as well. Cheap as chips and unlimited internet, 250 mins of calls and unlimited SMS for a tenner a month. I only use a phone every second month so giffgaff is perfect for my needs.

Anyone else use giffgaff sims?

Iphone 4 = fail (Galaxy S II > HTC Sensation > Iphone 4)

Gigggaff = win

I've just migrated to ICS from iOS5. Both are great systems. iOS5 is slightly more polished with a better app store and music store. Lovin facetime as well. And the chances are that if a company releases an app, they will do iPhone first (see Sky Go). However, that comes at a price. You do what apple say you can do when they say you can do it. For example, you could only use video calling from iPhone 4 onwards, whereas that feature has been available in other smartphones for years (same with video recording, 3G, MMS, ... the list goes on). Plus android is far more configurable. I've changed my keyboard to a swipey one and can configured the led notification on the phone as required (for example). With the iPhone you are generally stuck with whatever Steve wanted you to use. And having gone from a smaller iPhone screen to a larger Nexus screen, well, the iPhone screen looks unusable by comparison. iOS is slightly easier to use, but a novice could easily get away with using Android.

In short. I'd advise my gran, wife and, well, birds in general, students and the gay to get the iPhone. Blokes with any sense of masculinity want to go Android.

I've a galaxy s2 and can honestly say its the best phone I've ever had. The android apps are much better these days and the phone itself does everything you'd ever need. Cameras are good and the battery life, speed and the screen quality is good. Never had an iPhone but I do have an iPad and iPod touch, not as impressed with either of these if that has any relevance to the iPhone. I don't think the apple store has as many good free apps, everything that does a neat trick like syncing devices etc seems to cost money and I'm a grippit bugger. I presume that iPhones also don't use flash player which is frankly a pain in the arse on the iPad. The skyfire app on the galaxy does and makes things like the bbc website work properly. I'd personally never consider an iPhone next to a galaxy s2.

I've just migrated to ICS from iOS5. Both are great systems. iOS5 is slightly more polished with a better app store and music store. Lovin facetime as well. And the chances are that if a company releases an app, they will do iPhone first (see Sky Go). However, that comes at a price. You do what apple say you can do when they say you can do it. For example, you could only use video calling from iPhone 4 onwards, whereas that feature has been available in other smartphones for years (same with video recording, 3G, MMS, ... the list goes on). Plus android is far more configurable. I've changed my keyboard to a swipey one and can configured the led notification on the phone as required (for example). With the iPhone you are generally stuck with whatever Steve wanted you to use. And having gone from a smaller iPhone screen to a larger Nexus screen, well, the iPhone screen looks unusable by comparison. iOS is slightly easier to use, but a novice could easily get away with using Android.

In short. I'd advise my gran, wife and, well, birds in general, students and the gay to get the iPhone. Blokes with any sense of masculinity want to go Android.

Im due an upgrade next month and leaving Apple to go back to samsung....Galaxy 11 or Nexus???? I know Nexus is the newest but can get the 11 for cheaper and 18mth contact?? What you think??

I've a galaxy s2 and can honestly say its the best phone I've ever had. The android apps are much better these days and the phone itself does everything you'd ever need. Cameras are good and the battery life, speed and the screen quality is good. Never had an iPhone but I do have an iPad and iPod touch, not as impressed with either of these if that has any relevance to the iPhone. I don't think the apple store has as many good free apps, everything that does a neat trick like syncing devices etc seems to cost money and I'm a grippit bugger. I presume that iPhones also don't use flash player which is frankly a pain in the arse on the iPad. The skyfire app on the galaxy does and makes things like the bbc website work properly. I'd personally never consider an iPhone next to a galaxy s2.

Iphone also has the skyfire app so all those who slate iphones for not having flash are techniacally wrong :moonie:

1325066622[/url]' post='684980']

Iphone also has the skyfire app so all those who slate iphones for not having flash are techniacally wrong :moonie:

No, they are technically correct. The iPhone doesn't have flash. Skyfire interprets the flash file at the server and renders it in a format the iPhone does understand. It works. Sort of. But isn't as good a user experience. You can usually download a flash player for android, something thats technically possible on the iphone but steve said no. Anyway, flash is on its way out. The problem is that so many companies are invested in the technology it's going to be a protracted divorce.

1325064977[/url]' post='684973']

Im due an upgrade next month and leaving Apple to go back to samsung....Galaxy 11 or Nexus???? I know Nexus is the newest but can get the 11 for cheaper and 18mth contact?? What you think??

I'd google it. There are plenty of comparison sites. Neither have everything and it prob comes down to what you value most. More memory, better camera and slimmer for S2. latest android (and quicker upgrades) and bigger screen for galaxy nexus. There are a lot more differences, but those are some of the key features. Many of the review sites say to go for the s2, as that will be upgraded to ICS shortly anyway. I went for the galaxy nexus because I wanted to run vanilla android and I liked the big screen. I think you will be happy enough with either.

Who actually uses there phones capabilities more than 10%

Geeks and thats it.

Phoning, texting, messenger, camera / video, email, social networking, apps for fitba scores, and the odd web browsing, what more does folk seriously need there phone for.

I got a blackberry about 9 months ago, and it does me just fine for my demands.

1325068326[/url]' post='684997']

I'd add total minkers to that, these folk seem to know their phones inside out.

Probably due to being unemployable.

It's unusual to spot a correlation between high end smartphones and technical knowledge with unemployment. But I guess if it's good enough for sky then why not.

Minkers also have little conversational value, but they can batter out texts like there's no tomorrow, one can only wonder in awe at the content of these messages which furiously go back and forth from mink to mink every waking hour.

The government are not stupid, give these folk X-boxes, satellite telly, and gadget ridden phones, which as EPK points out nobody in their right mind actually makes any practical use of, and it prevents them from breaking into our houses or assaulting us en masse.

It's unusual to spot a correlation between high end smartphones and technical knowledge with unemployment. But I guess if it's good enough for sky then why not.

True, Sky technical department, Along with BT, must be involved in a government scheme, to recruit un-educated, un-knowledgeable staff.

And you have to pay for it on apple but its free on android. Reviews on the apple store indicated to me that flash didn't work on it anyway. Kind of makes my point thought about price. Sorry for saying something negative about apple!! Thought seeing I owned both formats I was giving a balanced view but forgot about the apple fans!

I've got all sorts of gadety shite I'll admit but I'll be fucked if I'm paying £500 to have a rake of pishy apps on my phone. Tend to use the camera on them a bit, web a bit but nothing else hence gonna get a n8, I know it's a dead os but as a phone/cam should work for me (£200). I see you'll get a blackberry playbook for £160 now, root it and put android on it then for ~£350 Ainol Novo7 for £120 so for £320 total get a decent phone and a tablet for way less than one expensive phone.

Phone and micro sim both arrived today.

Giffgaff is fucking ace.

Phone decent as well. Only going to use it for video calls when I'm away and loading it with music and videos. Seems to be a nifty phone though.

I doubt I'll buy another phone for about 7 years. Not one for moving with technology when it comes to phones.

I've just changed from a Nokia 1661 which cost I think a tenner from ASDA ages ago.

Needing a new one.

Ideally with two cameras so I can have skype video calls although that's not a deal breaker.

Do any of the iphones have front and back facing cameras?

Not interested in contracts or anything like that.

Just the best phone to buy.

Phoenix you always rave about some Samsung thing I seem to remember.

Completely clueless about wifi and would appreciate some help,is it just a case of just switching it on via the phone and its ready to use?im a bt customer and just assume through the home hub wifi is available through that,was forced into buying a smartphone this newyear as old phone packed in struggling to get a grips with touchscreen but im sure ill get there at some point,any help would be appreciated.