William Wallace

daytripping

I watched this programme last night that basically tore into Braveheart saying how inaccurate it is, was a not bad watch.

Anyway at the end it says after he was killed he was hung and quartered with his arm ending up in Aberdeen, I never knew that before, did a google and turns out its meant to be at the Cathedral beside Seaton Park, has anyone been down for a look? I'm going to drop in by next time I'm down that way.

Perth claim the arm isn't actually there as they have it, can see the attraction for the bloke employed to take it to Aberdeen, from London on horseback he'd have been getting well pissed off by the time he got to Perth and the arm would have been stinking.

However the priest from back then who was in charge of St Machars says we have it, that's good enough for me, can't imagine a priest ever lying.

If he was quartered an arm surely only makes up about 9%?????????

According to the area of nines regards burns victims an arm is only 9%

I'm not sure how they did the math, they did cut out his intestines and burned then while he was still alive, they also took his heart out before cutting him up, maybe we got those bits added to our arm.

Also turns out he was a horrible bastard at times, thought nothing of burning women and children alive.

I mind my History teacher at school giving in laldy about how shite Braveheart was. The story was loosely based around Wallaces life, but it was mainly innacurate with regards to his personality. I seem to remember him saying that Wallace didnt actually want to fight at Stirling and that whole "I'm off to pick a fight."

According to the area of nines regards burns victims an arm is only 9%

We're not talking about Burns, we're talking about Wallace.

Movies do not need to be factually correct to be enjoyable as 'Braveheart' proves - romantically over-indulgent as it is. History lesson it is not , mair yer Mills & Boon. Mel Gibson knows how to make money by exploiting our sentiments. The true story is likely to be a whole lot more intriguing and complicated , therefore a wee bit above Mel Gibsons talents.

Daytripping , I am surprised that you think that priests never lie ! Trust naebody ! Especially priests. They are guilty until proved innocent.

I think Braveheart was supposed to be more an entertaining film based on William Wallace rather than a historical documentary. That's what I reckon, given it was made by Hollywood and not the History Channel.

I fucking loved Braveheart, though. Brilliant film.

Funny how one of Scotland's major historical heroes and revolutionary leaders is completely ignored by schools. I seem to remember learning more about Egyptian and Greek history than I did about Scottish history.

Not funny.. what's the word... oh, aye, predictable. That's the word... predictable.

I think Braveheart was supposed to be more an entertaining film based on William Wallace rather than a historical documentary. That's what I reckon, given it was made by Hollywood and not the History Channel.

I fucking loved Braveheart, though. Brilliant film.

Funny how one of Scotland's major historical heroes and revolutionary leaders is completely ignored by schools. I seem to remember learning more about Egyptian and Greek history than I did about Scottish history.

Not funny.. what's the word... oh, aye, predictable. That's the word... predictable.

Very true Kelt. I admit i never knew much about him at all until i seen the film. That's the thing though, why the hell is his statue stuck at the back of Union Terrace and yet King Edward VII statue is on Union Street? Surely should be the other way around no?

• Admin

Very true Kelt. I admit i never knew much about him at all until i seen the film. That's the thing though, why the hell is his statue stuck at the back of Union Terrace and yet King Edward VII statue is on Union Street? Surely should be the other way around no?

Well, Union Street is named after the union of the kingdoms of England and Scotland, so it would probably be a bit of an insult to Wallace to have him on it.

Good film, inaccurate but still good. No mention of the bridge at the battle of Stirling one of the main reasons for the victory, no mention of Andrew Moray either thought by many historians to be the real strategist, but was killed at the battle of Stirling bridge.

Did Bruce and Wallace even meet?

The thing about Wallace is, there is very little known about him, the second son, possibly educated and travelled with his uncle, born at Eldersie nr Paisley.

I remember reading somewhere that when Wallace was betrayed and captured, the feeling in Scotland at the time was they were glad to see the back of him, it was years later he was thought of as a hero, helped by the poem by blind Harry.

All things said and done a true hero of Scotland.

Why? just curious.

Wallace is a celebrated "Glorious Failure" in our past because Bruce was a "Historical Success". If not for a man who was, possibly a little less brave and a lot more strategic and savvy in his dealings, it might all have ended for Caledonia right there on the spikes of the Tower of London.

Wallace is a celebrated "Glorious Failure" in our past because Bruce was a "Historical Success". If not for a man who was, possibly a little less brave and a lot more strategic and savvy in his dealings, it might all have ended for Caledonia right there on the spikes of the Tower of London.

The Bruce was a hard-ass as well though- took out that Norman knight on his charger, riding just a wee pony.

Wallace was a hero to Bruce, used him in his speech at Bannockburn to get his men going. He invoked the power of St Andrew, John the Baptist, Thomas Beckett and William Wallace...

If it wasn't for Wallace there probably wouldn't have been the rise of Robert the Bruce.

Each to his own though. :thumbs:

A good bit of the programme was that Wallace didn't follow battle etiquette, he was expected to allow the English across the bridge and to let them line up, he attacked on the bridge, a lot of the Scottish nobles were unhappy about this too.

The English had ten times more troops than us, that's hardly fair play, good on Wallace for steaming in.

A good bit of the programme was that Wallace didn't follow battle etiquette, he was expected to allow the English across the bridge and to let them line up, he attacked on the bridge, a lot of the Scottish nobles were unhappy about this too.

The English had ten times more troops than us, that's hardly fair play, good on Wallace for steaming in.

Get into them, heed first.