Taxi Driving!

daytripping

Very true Sheep.

A pal of mine drove a taxi for a couple of years, 8 seater, so he had car hire, radio hire and fuel to pay for. Cunts been in Africa for 5 weeks, South America for 3 months and is now off to Oz for half a year. Loaded. Mind you he worked all the time. Half the drivers moaning are lazy bastards I bet working a day shift when it's relatively quiet.

Sounds very much like a guy that I know of. A friend of a friend. Wonder if it's the same guy. Only met him once but seemed sound as.

He worked in oil previously and gave it up to be a taxi driver. I'm sure he had a 7 seater too and did/does a lot of travelling. Said he has to work long hours but makes a really good living. I think him and his old man share the driving. Even has 'arrangements' with lapdancers for means of payment. Every taxi driver that I've spoken to about the drunken aresholes that they inevitably have to ferry about says more or less the same thing. "It's not that bad. You do get the occasional fud but most folk are alright and it's that time of day/night) when there's the most money to be made. If you're willing to put in the (unsociable) hours then I dare say you can make a decent wage.

• 10 months later...

AN ABERDEEN councillor today said a move that allows taxis to be fitted with CCTV cameras would improve safety for drivers.

Aberdeen City Council’s licensing board agreed in principle to the use of CCTV in taxis.
Cabbies will be able to record conversations in their vehicles – but only in what they deem to be an emergency situation.
Licensing convener Scott Carle said: “Everybody should have the right to go to their work and feel they won’t suffer potential violence.
“There’s no constant audio but drivers will be able to hit a panic button to record, which will help act as a deterrent.”
  • 1 year later...

Councillors have been urged to scrap knowledge tests for private hire taxis in Aberdeen.

Aberdeen City Council officers have asked members to press ahead with the recommendation following a court ruling involving a driver who had his application refused as he did not complete a knowledge test – something the licence committee requires all drivers to have.
Sam Murray, a law student at Robert Gordon University, took the council to court after being turned down for the private hire licence, claiming the committee’s policy was “illegal and unenforceable”.
Sheriff Graeme Napier said the committee should have stuck to the provisions of a UK Parliament act from the 1980s, which states that such a test need only be taken by those applying for a taxi driver’s licence. The complaint was upheld.
And now a report by city council solicitor Ruth O’Hare, which is to be heard by the licensing committee on Tuesday, says: “If the committee continues to administer the street knowledge test in the face of the sheriff’s decision it is likely that an applicant who faces a decision for refusal based on the policy will appeal the decision.
“Whilst there may be a risk in terms of a reduction in the standard of service provision through the removal of the street knowledge test, this could be mitigated by the introduction of alternative training for private hire drivers.”
A taxi driver can pick up fares on the street while a private hire driver can only pick up pre-booked jobs.
But the council had ruled at a meeting of its licensing committee in 1990 that the knowledge test should also be brought in for private hire licences and its policy was changed to reflect this.

Hope for you yet Dayts min.

It's the knowledge test that put me off becoming a driver, you can't do it over a week or two, is so long and drawn out, an evening or two a week for Months, it's hardly a big City, private hire with no test would suit me to the ground, I know the area inside out, everyone has sat navs these days as well, knowledge is a waste of time and money.

What is Uber and how does it work?

I'm heading to London and Uber has been suggested as a means of getting to one place to another.

Download it to your phone.

It uses tell it where you wanna go.

It gives you a list of people who will drive you there and how much they want for it.

It's all fracked by GPS so you probably won't be killed.

I'll be using the tube.

It's just that someone suggested it.

I'll be going from Heathrow to Lewisham, so it'll be Heathrow to Paddington, then tube from there.

Was just interested in how Uber worked and what it was.

Glad to hear it. Few decent tube apps for planning journeys.

Get an Oyster card, take the chip out and glue it to the end of a magic wand.

Supreme way of going through the ticket barrier.

Download it to your phone.

It uses tell it where you wanna go.

It gives you a list of people who will drive you there and how much they want for it.

It's all fracked by GPS so you probably won't be killed.

My one and only time using uber was paid for by an Afro American lass who refused to "holler me a cab" the Afro American chap driving then got a bit confused whilst trying to find Downtown Houston I don't know if that was a delay tactic to charge the poor Girl more on her Uber account or not? 6/10 would use again.

My one and only time using uber was paid for by an Afro American lass who refused to "holler me a cab" the Afro American chap driving then got a bit confused whilst trying to find Downtown Houston I don't know if that was a delay tactic to charge the poor Girl more on her Uber account or not? 6/10 would use again.

The price is agreed beforehand and all the money is paid through Uber, so in theory you can't get ripped off.

Means when you've got some spare time or are driving somewhere anyway, you can give some cunt a lift and use your credit to get a lift home when your boozy.

This doesn't work if the driver pulls a gun on you and/or tries to rape you.

The price is agreed beforehand and all the money is paid through Uber, so in theory you can't get ripped off.

Means when you've got some spare time or are driving somewhere anyway, you can give some cunt a lift and use your credit to get a lift home when your boozy.

This doesn't work if the driver pulls a gun on you and/or tries to rape you.

Strange then we pointed out to the guy the signpost of the street we were going to but he continued driving round the block until finally noticing it.

Aye its all done by GPS so you pop in where you are, where you want to go and it'll display the quickest route on your phone plus estimated fare.

Don't think i'd bother with them in London, it'll cost a fortune.

I was using it in London the other week - wasn't unreasonable. Definitely a good option when you're in an area not covered by a train line.

Uber will be brilliant when it arrives in Aberdeen. Should put an end to the absolute shambles that are the taxi queues in town!

I was using it in London the other week - wasn't unreasonable. Definitely a good option when you're in an area not covered by a train line.

Uber will be brilliant when it arrives in Aberdeen. Should put an end to the absolute shambles that are the taxi queues in town!

The drop in oil price has already done a pretty good job sorting out taxis.

Still don't understand uber though, is anyone with a motor allowed to sign up as a driver on it? If so, what's the point in licensed taxis any more and surely that must be breaking some kind of regulations?

Yeah, anyone can do it. That's why taxi drivers lose their shit over it.

Every time uber has been taken to court, they've won.

• 1 year later...

Uber's operating licence in the UK capital has been revoked, Transport for London (TfL) has announced.

It comes after months of debate over passenger safety and vetting of drivers.
Withdrawing the licence, TfL described Uber as not being "fit and proper" to offer its services to Londoners.
Mayor Sadiq Khan said the decision had been made to protect customer safety, adding that all companies must "play by the rules".
The company criticised the decision, saying that "far from being open, London is closed to innovative companies".
Uber's London licence will expire on September 30.

https://stv.tv/news/uk/1398321-uber-s-license-has-been-revoked-in-london/