Imagine A World

phoenix

For over a decade, we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open Internet. For 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia. Learn more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Learn_more

spotted that today feenix when i was checking my spelling for internet forum posting.

damn shame. i like wikipedia.

They are requesting that we protest via Google , Facebook and Twitter , Bluto.....we need to 'fight the power'. Vested interests will walk all over us if we let them.

Tim Berners-Lee would have been today's richest man had he patented/copyrighted the idea but he sacrificed this because he knew the benefits and wanted the World Wide Web to be free and open. Now the Suits are undermine that noble cause.

Get in !

What law are the Americans trying to pass which jeopardises the 'free internet'?

It's about the piracy issue , video and audio specifically , Dynamo.

They want the Googles , Facebooks and Wikipedias that control the huge servers to be responsible for any piracy that occurs.

Without knowing how the legislation will roll out , I imagine this means that these companies will be held more accountable and have to be available for auditing and inspection with the prospect of identities and website locations being more readily available for scrutiny ie an invasion of everyone's privacy , because of a minority of miscreants

Once they get their hands on the controls , it becomes possible to do whatever they like and eventually probably will. I'd trust Wikipedia , Google and Facebook before I'd trust any dark , government body , we'd be safer with them .

So the yanks basically want a slice of what these companies make. By doing this there can be legal challenges, fines imposed, and money to be made?

i'm not sure if I understand fully but I take it that's what they're after.

On the other hand, can Wiki, Google and FB base themselves offshore from the US and become non culpable?

Did you hear of the case earlier in the week about the student from Sheffield who is being extradited to the US as he set up a website which posted links to illegal sites with streams and the like to watch copy right material? His website was shut down but he is still facing charges. These links are still available on Google etc. Strikes me as a complete waste of time and money. One student, who in the grand scheme of things is doing no harm at all (despite breaking the law, I know) being sent for trial. His sites been shut down, can they not just accept that and get on with it? the kid did himself no favours when after his site was shut down he set it up again though. he claims he heard nothing from anyone as to why his site was shut. He's either very stupid or didn't think he'd get caught. Still though...

i could be wrong, but i reckon the dark lords in the US were pissed off that facebook and whatever else kicked off the revolutions in arab land. they have to go on telly and say what a wonderful thing they are doing trying to liberate the country and free the people, an american ideal. at the end of the day the dark lords were pissed because they didn't approve this, to volatile for their liking and out their hands. now they want to stop this free thinking nonsense and believe in a god that probably doesn't exist. keep us dumb and stupid.

So the yanks basically want a slice of what these companies make. By doing this there can be legal challenges, fines imposed, and money to be made?

i'm not sure if I understand fully but I take it that's what they're after.

On the other hand, can Wiki, Google and FB base themselves offshore from the US and become non culpable?

Did you hear of the case earlier in the week about the student from Sheffield who is being extradited to the US as he set up a website which posted links to illegal sites with streams and the like to watch copy right material? His website was shut down but he is still facing charges. These links are still available on Google etc. Strikes me as a complete waste of time and money. One student, who in the grand scheme of things is doing no harm at all (despite breaking the law, I know) being sent for trial. His sites been shut down, can they not just accept that and get on with it? the kid did himself no favours when after his site was shut down he set it up again though. he claims he heard nothing from anyone as to why his site was shut. He's either very stupid or didn't think he'd get caught. Still though...

Aye , I saw a short glimpse of him on the news wi' his Ma ( ? ) greetin' copiously by his side. A useless and token scapegoat just to draw our attention to the subject and discourage the more faint-of-hearted......the little ones are the easiest to catch and let's the paymasters believe something is actually being done.

Some people think they are born to control others , the thought of others actually enjoying themselves and being free is anathema to them. I reckon it's some genetic malfunction.

John Lennon was sweet talkin' when he called them 'Blue Meanies' !

So the yanks basically want a slice of what these companies make. By doing this there can be legal challenges, fines imposed, and money to be made?i'm not sure if I understand fully but I take it that's what they're after.

Don't think this has a lot to do with money, more to do with power and censorship. Govts (the world over, except maybe China and a few others) detest the fact they can't control 'the message (read internet) (think the media hate it too). This is about telling us what we can and cannot do, read, watch, opine on which is anathema to what the web is about. I think it's important that Wikipedia etc be supported in this because believe me if this legislation gets up (don't think it will) then the rest of the world will have their internet 'usage' controlled by the loonies on the American right. What does this have to do with the UK or Australia in my case? F'n heaps...trust me. Julian Assange appears to have given politicians an unintended free kick...in their minds and hopefully not the GP's.