Confounding Questions

looksgoodinred

from The Economist.

none of these questions would i consider "awkward" in my opinion. the most awkward questions i was asked as a parent were more to do with morals, or defining "grey" areas. those were always a bit tricky, with not wanting to appear judgemental and still offering up all options. :( i guess i did all right in the end. :)

can any other parents on here recall being stumped by any questions? :itch-chin:

I'm off to the internet to find out just why water is wet, now that i'm thinking about it!

Children daily bombard their parents with questions on all manner of subjects, 10 of which are most feared by grown-ups, according to a survey. The questions range from the easy, such as Would a shark beat a dinosaur in a fight?, through the tricky, such as, Why is the sky blue?, to the near-impossible to answer, such as, How much does the earth weigh?

A quarter of British parents find themselves puzzled by their children's science and maths questions, the survey found.

About 26% of parents think their children are more knowledgeable about maths and science than they, and more than half of parents dread questions they cannot answer correctly, leaving them frustrated .

The study found that a third of parents would actively research a question but many admit they either make up the answers or deflect the question onto their partner.

Polling 2000 parents with children aged five to 16, the survey found that many parents believed their youngsters' curiosity in science and maths had been fuelled by educational TV programmes.

Many of the parents interviewed wished they had taken more interest in maths and science at school.

About 10% of mothers said their limited knowledge was due to the lack of support and encouragement they received when they were at school.

Ten most awkward questions

1. Why is the moon sometimes out during the day?

2. Why is the sky blue?

3. Will we ever discover aliens?

4. How much does the Earth weigh?

5. How do aeroplanes stay in the air?

6. Why is water wet?

7. How do I do long division?

8. Where do birds or bees go in winter?

9. What makes a rainbow?

10. Why are there different time zones ?

from The Economist.

none of these questions would i consider "awkward" in my opinion. the most awkward questions i was asked as a parent were more to do with morals, or defining "grey" areas. those were always a bit tricky, with not wanting to appear judgemental and still offering up all options. :( i guess i did all right in the end. :)

can any other parents on here recall being stumped by any questions? :itch-chin:

I'm off to the internet to find out just why water is wet, now that i'm thinking about it!

Children daily bombard their parents with questions on all manner of subjects, 10 of which are most feared by grown-ups, according to a survey. The questions range from the easy, such as Would a shark beat a dinosaur in a fight?, through the tricky, such as, Why is the sky blue?, to the near-impossible to answer, such as, How much does the earth weigh?

A quarter of British parents find themselves puzzled by their children's science and maths questions, the survey found.

About 26% of parents think their children are more knowledgeable about maths and science than they, and more than half of parents dread questions they cannot answer correctly, leaving them frustrated .

The study found that a third of parents would actively research a question but many admit they either make up the answers or deflect the question onto their partner.

Polling 2000 parents with children aged five to 16, the survey found that many parents believed their youngsters' curiosity in science and maths had been fuelled by educational TV programmes.

Many of the parents interviewed wished they had taken more interest in maths and science at school.

About 10% of mothers said their limited knowledge was due to the lack of support and encouragement they received when they were at school.

2. Why is the sky blue?

6. Why is water wet?

9. What makes a rainbow?

Not many awkward ones to describe there to be honest. 6 and 8 could be problematic though. lol

Edit: Most of those answers are kind of Physics related I suppose so if you did o grade at school it should be easyish.

I could answer 8 or so of those questions off the top of my head.

Putting it in a way a child would understand would be more difficult.

The most awkward question I am ever asked is "Why?".

To fucking anything.

ad infinitum

The only satisfactory answer I have come up with is "because".

i expect your child/children don't find because nearly as satisfactory most times. :)

There was something about 'if the wind changes your face will stay like that' if you were pulling funny faces trying to be smart.

There was one loon with a majorly buckled face in the school and my mither even told me that he was like that because he ignored his mother's warnings.

Chilled me to the bone until I realised she was talking pish.

There was something about 'if the wind changes your face will stay like that' if you were pulling funny faces trying to be smart.

There was one loon with a majorly buckled face in the school and my mither even told me that he was like that because he ignored his mother's warnings.

Chilled me to the bone until I realised she was talking pish.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Fucking brilliant Tup!

:hysterical:

it sure was, later to be known as 'step on a crack ye marry a black'

Kept me on my toes as a kid - wouldn't be much of a deterrent nowadays though, I'd probably aim for them.

Check yous out with yer racist parents. I prefer the bear jumping at me from an alleyway. Always check an alleyway before ye scooch past it... danger of bears.

To be factually accurate, we lived in Alness when I was a nipper and I'm fairly confident black people weren't invented until after 1980 'cos I never saw any in my childhood.

A modern day, politically correct alternative, relative to your childhood abode, would be:

'Step on a crack in the pavement, you'll marry a crack-addicted weegie'

from The Economist.

2. Why is the sky blue?

6. Why is water wet?

9. What makes a rainbow?

Depends how old the kid is, I guess. My 5 year old asks questions constantly, and only a couple of times have I said... "I'm not gonna answer that."

Those ten questions are pretty straightforward, and the hardest thing would be figuring out how to answer in terms that a small child can understand. I'd probably be able to explain them to my loon with minimal problems... and I guarantee he'd grasp the concepts. Kids aren't dummies.

As for awkward questions, I'd consider, "Daddy.. is my pet lizard dead?" a pretty awkward question, given we weren't ready to introduce the concept of death to a 3 year old. I mean the thing was dead... dead as a fucking doornail... but we decided we'd tell him his lizard was just sick and that we were taking him to the vet to get better. Bought him a new lizard and stuck it in the case. Sorted. He still doesn't know, bless him.

Those questions, though, nothing awkward about them unless the parent doesn't know the answer... but two minutes on the internet and you'll have an answer for the kid.

from The Economist.

2. Why is the sky blue?

6. Why is water wet?

9. What makes a rainbow?

laughing.gif My 6 year old asked me that very question a few weeks ago.

I could answer 8 or so of those questions off the top of my head.

Putting it in a way a child would understand would be more difficult.

The most awkward question I am ever asked is "Why?".

To fucking anything.

ad infinitum

The only satisfactory answer I have come up with is "because".

i reply why not, stumps my niece

Got told that if u stood on a crack on the pavement the next person u saw would be the person you'd marry. Also got told the one about pulling faces when the wind was blowing. Remember Xmas eve would always go out of my way to help around the house and do good deeds to make sure I wouldn't get coal. Trying to think of others just now but can't!