The God Argument

Ke1t

Can't remember how the conversation started, but it transpires one of the loon's schoolfriends goes to church... I think they're Romanian Orthodox or somesuch... and they gave our laddie an invite to come along and worship their cloud-fairy at some cultish ceremony called.. let me get this right... 'The Feast of the Presentation of the Lord' on Feb 2nd.

The wife asks me if it's okay if the loon goes with his little chum and I say, "Haha.. of course it's not okay, you daft cunt. What are you even thinking asking me that? No, he can't go and worship pixies like they're real things. Pull yourself together you fucking halfwit."

Now without going into the finer points of the massive argument that followed, she's not okay with me banning the loon from hearing about religious fucking nonsense like zombie jews and angry fairies and big old sky-daddies who murder children. I'm not okay with it because it's utter fucking pish, and brainwashing utter fucking pish at that.

As far as I'm concerned, a 5 year old kid is NOT capable of making its own mind up regarding the finer teleological points of the potentiality of a supreme being creating the universe. And, much like Santa Claus, if you tell a kid that age that such a nonsensical thing exists then the kid will, going forward, simply believe in aforementioned nonsensical invisible leprechaun, or whatever the fuck their 'god' happens to be. Probably a vampire or something, given they're Romanian.

Anyway, the laddie's not going.

How to ask this without you thinking I'm loading the question...

Would you allow your kid, if you have one or assuming you did, to go along to church to be brainwashed into their cult, and to suffer the subsequent years of thinking that there's an all-seeing being watching everything you do and, if you fuck up even once, you're going to burn in Hell like the little fucker you are?

you didn't really call your wife a half-wit, did you?

I'm paraphrasing.

I let my face do most of the communicating... I was all...

smiley_huh_sticker-p217139998311267458qjcl_400.jpg

But then we started fighting... things were said, maybe punches were thrown.

Someone might have grabbed for scissors... it was a mess.

Anyway, I think what IS important to remember here is that I won... because I was right.

• Admin

Kelt, sit him doon and just level with him. It's a load of pish, but fucking hilarious pish. As long as he sees their ignorance as comedic value and (more importantly) gets free food, i see no problem.

He's the spawn of kelt, he's already a fucking prodigy. I think you don't give him enough credit for being able to make his own mind up about how ridiculous the zombie-jesus cult is.

Would you allow your kid, if you have one or assuming you did, to go along to church to be brainwashed into their cult, and to suffer the subsequent years of thinking that there's an all-seeing being watching everything you do and, if you fuck up even once, you're going to burn in Hell like the little fucker you are?

Ongoing debate in our house. The missus was brought (dragged) up a pape, her folks (my kids grandparents) still imbibe at least once a week. I'm in the same mob as you Kelt. The missus has been 'lapsed' since she grew some but still insists on having a bob each way (just in case, you know)so in return for them not going to a pape school they have to do RE (opt out only...but that's another story, secular country my arse). I tell my kids all the time it's shite, fk knows what their grandparents tell them. It's a battle but i'm fn determined to come out on top. Only heard of one occassion when one of my kids went to mass a few years after the event. I was fn fuming. Just to clarify...this is not an anti pape rant, all forms of organised religion are inherently evil and irrational IMO. I'll be consistent if my kids asks me about god/voodoo...I'll always tell them it's a load of shite.

Just to clarify...this is not an anti pape rant,

who could possibly conclude that when you keep referring to them as papes :nono:

Kelt, going to church, when you're young is the most boring experience possible, if you're dead against it, Let them go, they wont want to go back.

Class but id let my son go if it was with one of his friends. As you said, it's Santa esque pish but it's for kids to discover themselves, I see my role as dad as to provide cash and try and force my son into being a pro footballer, regardless of how appealing being a fireman may look!

But then we started fighting... things were said, maybe punches were thrown.

Someone might have grabbed for scissors... it was a mess.

Anyway, I think what IS important to remember here is that I won... because I was right.

not only are you left feeling you were right, but no doubt got some make-up sex too. :thumbs:

not a bad day's work!

Can't remember how the conversation started, but it transpires one of the loon's schoolfriends goes to church... I think they're Romanian Orthodox or somesuch... and they gave our laddie an invite to come along and worship their cloud-fairy at some cultish ceremony called.. let me get this right... 'The Feast of the Presentation of the Lord' on Feb 2nd.

The wife asks me if it's okay if the loon goes with his little chum and I say, "Haha.. of course it's not okay, you daft cunt. What are you even thinking asking me that? No, he can't go and worship pixies like they're real things. Pull yourself together you fucking halfwit."

Now without going into the finer points of the massive argument that followed, she's not okay with me banning the loon from hearing about religious fucking nonsense like zombie jews and angry fairies and big old sky-daddies who murder children. I'm not okay with it because it's utter fucking pish, and brainwashing utter fucking pish at that.

As far as I'm concerned, a 5 year old kid is NOT capable of making its own mind up regarding the finer teleological points of the potentiality of a supreme being creating the universe. And, much like Santa Claus, if you tell a kid that age that such a nonsensical thing exists then the kid will, going forward, simply believe in aforementioned nonsensical invisible leprechaun, or whatever the fuck their 'god' happens to be. Probably a vampire or something, given they're Romanian.

Anyway, the laddie's not going.

My three year old daughter goes to the Salvation Army Sunday school every week and loves it.

She's told stories about folk with coats of many colours and a mannie with a big boat full of animals. No different to me reading stories to her about three bears who eat porridge or three goats trying to cross a bridge with an angry troll underneath it.

Salvation Army don't lay anything on thick either which is the main reason she goes to the Salvation Army church and not the screwballs you get in "regular" churches. Throw in a few songs and time spent colouring in pictures of the story they've been read and it's a happy hour for her and me.

Some nice looking mothers also attend which is an added bonus. :spunk: :spunk:

My three year old daughter goes to the Salvation Army Sunday school every week and loves it.

She's told stories about folk with coats of many colours and a mannie with a big boat full of animals. No different to me reading stories to her about three bears who eat porridge or three goats trying to cross a bridge with an angry troll underneath it.

Salvation Army don't lay anything on thick either which is the main reason she goes to the Salvation Army church and not the screwballs you get in "regular" churches. Throw in a few songs and time spent colouring in pictures of the story they've been read and it's a happy hour for her and me.

Some nice looking mothers also attend which is an added bonus. :spunk: :spunk:

I was brought up with the church at a young age. It wasn't Sally Army but just a church of Scotland Sunday School then Bible class when I was older.

It was shit. I can't ever remembering enjoying it at all.

Anyway what really annoyed and upset me was that I was really into science too as a kid. It was my mum who put me to church but my dad who got me into science, geography, astronomy and the likes. I had children's bibles and science books, telescopes, science kits, globes, atlases etc. Every Sunday I was told one thing about God and also backed up by a very religious head teacher at Primary School yet as I got older I was finding out about the big bang, evolution, the speed of light etc.

At night in my bed I used to ponder these things and they would keep me awake at night, surely my mum and teachers wouldn't lie to me; but just how old is the earth; how come dinosaurs are older than when God made the universe; where do fossils come from; how did God make these mountains and so on and so on.

Maybe everyone was like that, I don't know. But I know that I didn't enjoy worrying my innocent young mind about such questions. Looking back I wish my dad would have put his foot down and said no way and spent Sundays in casual clothes doing experiments together however I'm sure he just appreciated a couple of hours peace.