Stephen Glass

Now the assistant manager to Stephen Kenny at Shamrock Rovers.

My question is what actually happened to this guy?

One of my favourite players when I was younger. A real talent and a proper left midfielder. Went to Newcastle then Watford and judging from his stats, he wasn't a total flop. So how did he end up back in Scotland with Hibs at the age of 26 when his ability should be peaking and from what I can remember, not resembling anything of the player he was as a youngster for us.

Did he have injury problems?

• Site Sponsor

Now the assistant manager to Stephen Kenny at Shamrock Rovers.

My question is what actually happened to this guy?

One of my favourite players when I was younger. A real talent and a proper left midfielder. Went to Newcastle then Watford and judging from his stats, he wasn't a total flop. So how did he end up back in Scotland with Hibs at the age of 26 when his ability should be peaking and from what I can remember, not resembling anything of the player he was as a youngster for us.

Did he have injury problems?

He went to Newcastle where he sat on the bench during crucial development time. He has traded a healthy bank balance for Scottish caps and possibly a move to a bigger English club. Should have signed on for two more years with us.

He had great potential, certainly more than Fyvie and Grimmer IMO

Would I be right in saying he scored for two different clubs in FA Cup Semi finals?

No.

He went to Newcastle, played a fair bit under Guillit. A couple of injuries kept him out for a while, and when Robson came in he didnt really take to him. Played well for Watford initially, and then got another injury. Moved to Hibs, played a lot for them until that players revolt nonsense. Went to Dunfermline and helped knock us out of the Scottish Cup. Was at the Carolina Rapids (or fitever they are called) last season.

Clever for a footballer, good professional and a lot of the young lads from his time at Hibs, Dunfermline and Carolina speak highly of him. Not afraid to speak his mind. I reckon there is a good chance he will be a successful coach.

No.

He went to Newcastle, played a fair bit under Guillit. A couple of injuries kept him out for a while, and when Robson came in he didnt really take to him. Played well for Watford initially, and then got another injury. Moved to Hibs, played a lot for them until that players revolt nonsense. Went to Dunfermline and helped knock us out of the Scottish Cup. Was at the Carolina Rapids (or fitever they are called) last season.

Clever for a footballer, good professional and a lot of the young lads from his time at Hibs, Dunfermline and Carolina speak highly of him. Not afraid to speak his mind. I reckon there is a good chance he will be a successful coach.

Yeah just looked it up, was getting confused. Played in FA Cup semi finals for both Newcastle and Watford but didn't score. He scored against Man U for Newcastle the same season they played in the FA Cup Semi and he scored for Watford in their quarter final win.

Glass was a cracking player who should have gone on to earn a shiteload of caps and played at the highest level.

Couple of things, imo, conspired against him.

Like most Aberdeen players who have gone south (outside the CWC side) he was bought up cheap by an English side and considered a fringe player. When the bulk of your time is spent sitting on the bench you're not going to develop, and in fact might even start to decline, as a player. This is why when Russ went South I'd a feeling he was going to be marginalised before he'd even kicked a ball. Compared to the money Keane was spending on other players at the time, Anderson was bought for peanuts. It was pretty obvious that when you spend millions on a player you're going to play the guy to justify the expense, regardless of whether or not he's better. As one of the cheaper purchases, Anderson was going to always be a second class citizen. Similar thing with Glass.

If I recall he was pretty injury prone. That's going to cut down on your face time in the first team, and in a country where they can piss a million away on a player and not even notice it, if you're not playing you're going to be replaced or left to rot in the reserves. Unless you cost 10 million, in which case you're right back in the first team.

I thought Glass was a fantastic player, and was severely pissed to see him go. But when you're offered megabucks to play in England then you're not going to hang around at Aberdeen for very long.

Fucked up his long term career for short term gain.

No.

Carolina Railhawks aye. Their manager at the time is a friend of my old man's. Done well for himself and got a move to the MLS with Vancouver Whitecaps.

The money you get for playing the Premiership is worth it in the long run, providing you are sensible with it.

My thoughts are that if Glass had established himself at a lower profle English club, like Adam did with Blackpool, then his value and cache would have been far greater than it was with him coming from Aberdeen to Newcastle.

A club is going to pay far more attention to a player they've had to pay real money for, as opposed to getting for sweeties... despite it being the exact same player.

If you have to pay a lot for something you automatically assume it's better than something you pay for with pocket change.

Martin Rennie? Boy at work went to primary school with him in Bettyhill when his dad was the minister.

Yeah Martin, his Dad sadly passed a few years ago.

Martin's a good guy and rated as one of the top young prospects as far as managers go in the U.S. Very modern approach to the game; gets a lot of sport scientists involved and so on. Would imagine he'll be plying his trade in England in a few years. Aberdeen fan also.