An Expensive Hot Dog!

looksgoodinred

conspicuous consumption for sure. but would you give it a try if the opportunity arose? it sounds good enough (sans lobster meat, for me). :dontknow:

i've wasted a $100 in worse ways, but i think i'd take a pass.

Vancouver, known for its bustling street food scene, will also soon be known as home to the

Who in the name of arse is going to buy a hundred dollar hotdog?

I can't even imagine who the target demographic would be for this... people with a hundred quid to drop on a meal won't be eating a hotdog, people who munch on hotdogs probably don't have a hundred buck to piss away on a sausage.

Obviously cunts like < this guy.

A hundred quid for a sausage with maybe 1ml of booze and made from ruined kobe beef?

If you have a hundred quid to spend then you're going to buy a proper restaurant meal with some house wine or a couple of beers.... you're not buying a dubious sausage.

And if you're up for a hotdog then you're going to buy one for a couple of bucks, rather than a hundred.

I can't even imagine who the target demographic would be for this... people with a hundred quid to drop on a meal won't be eating a hotdog, people who munch on hotdogs probably don't have a hundred buck to piss away on a sausage.

Clear gimmick... they'll sell one a year.

Ahem.

I like them.

• 1 month later...

A hundred quid for a sausage with maybe 1ml of booze and made from ruined kobe beef?

If you have a hundred quid to spend then you're going to buy a proper restaurant meal with some house wine or a couple of beers.... you're not buying a dubious sausage.

And if you're up for a hotdog then you're going to buy one for a couple of bucks, rather than a hundred.

Clear gimmick... they'll sell one a year.

well.. it was on my mind this morning for some reason. and i got an urge to find out. so i emailed Dougie of dougiedog and he just phoned me to let me know that they'd sold 218 of the foot-long $100 dogs in the first 10 days! and it's been two weeks since.

and it's not just hungover revellers forking out cash for them. in fact, it's not. since they have to be ordered 12 hours in advance.

so apparently.. there is some kind of market for them. who knew! :sheepdance:

$100 for a hot dog... that'd be a big no from me.

Did spent about $20 on one though while in Philadelphia many many moons ago and it was great. But not $20 great. (Preferred philly cheesesteaks for a third of the price too)

$6.66 for a Philly Cheesesteak seems a peculiar price.

Very satanic.

What? Heathen.

Had Geno's (I think... it's in an acute junction of two roads right?) first day there... actually within an hour or two of arriving in the states, straight from the airport.

It was good but the best one I had though was somewhere on the way out of the city, heading west.

• 10 months later...

Well today's the day! I'm off to try a Dougie Dog (but it won't be the $100 kobe beef, cognac and lobster one -- it had to be ordered 24 hours in advance, and i'm allergic to lobster :( ).

at the moment, i'm leaning towards the Charlie Mac Dog. :itch-chin: i may take a discreet look about and see if anyone's scarfing down the Dragon Dog while there. perhaps check in with Dougie to see how many he's sold to date.

"DOUBLE YOUR WEINER FOR A $1.75". how can you go wrong with that? :thumbup1:

http://dougiedog.com/menu/

Well today's the day! I'm off to try a Dougie Dog (but it won't be the $100 kobe beef, cognac and lobster one -- it had to be ordered 24 hours in advance, and i'm allergic to lobster :( ).

at the moment, i'm leaning towards the Charlie Mac Dog. :itch-chin: i may take a discreet look about and see if anyone's scarfing down the Dragon Dog while there. perhaps check in with Dougie to see how many he's sold to date.

"DOUBLE YOUR WEINER FOR A $1.75". how can you go wrong with that? :thumbup1:

http://dougiedog.com/menu/

Jaysus :omg:

Good luck with all of that...

mac-n-cheese-dog-.jpg

I was in Vancouver a few years back. It didn't have a "bustling street food scene" then. I know this as one of the local free papers told me so by complaining like a bastard about its lack of "bustling street food scene" due to excessive red tape which would make it exceedingly expensive to have a stall. They did have some hot dog stands but they were all the same company who also had a big shop. I am glad that they have solved the "bustling street food scene" problem though as I dare say are the editors of said free paper. That is unless one of them got food poisoning from the now "bustling street food scene" and want more red tape introduced to cure this crime against humanity. And his/her arsehole.

EDIT: Dougiedogs look suspiciously like a take away place rather than street food. Like a North American kebab shop if you will, but not as good as a kebab shop.

i believe DougieDog is selling franchises. i think a proper Canadian chip wagon and hot dog cart might go over well in a cold, damp northeast climate. and would imagine a really good hot dog would go over well with the drinking crowd in the wee hours, as well as at other times. nothing like good hot street food in hand on a cold day. :thumbup1:

i recollect the most vile hot dog i've ever eaten was from a street vendor in London, somewhere near Hyde Park. the wiener was some meat product that had been stored in a liquid in a jar ffs. insipid when cooked. that's NOT a hot dog. :fight:

i believe DougieDog is selling franchises. i think a proper Canadian chip wagon and hot dog cart might go over well in a cold, damp northeast climate. and would imagine a really good hot dog would go over well with the drinking crowd in the wee hours, as well as at other times. nothing like good hot street food in hand on a cold day. :thumbup1:

So is dougiedog a shop or just a stall on the street?

P.S. Root beer has root at the start of it for a reason. It is because it is fucking root. Have an Irn Bru the next time.

So is dougiedog a shop or just a stall on the street?

P.S. Root beer has root at the start of it for a reason. It is because it is fucking root. Have an Irn Bru the next time.

DougieDog is a shop. although i think there may be carts involved somewhere. as for hot dog carts, the best you'll find are the vendors on Yonge Street in Toronto. by far. :thumbup1: