Hillwalking

Geoff_Tipps

I would love to get into hill walking to improve my fitness.

I don't have anyone to go with unfortunately and I wouldn't go on my own as my sense of direction is so bad that I would be found dead a few days after I set off.

I climbed Table Mountain and the feeling of achievement I felt was immense. But even then I got lost from the group I was in and went the wrong way as I got lost due to the table cloth descending.

Have you bagged a lot of Munros GT?

I've climbed Bennachie a few times, but hasn't everyone laughing.gif

I have climbed 60 in total although climbed Lochnagar and a lot of the Cairngorms more than once.

Its great fun I really enjoy it although don't get out as much as I would like to as I don't have a car at the moment so I just try and tag lifts when I can, but more than often climb on my own which is great but for long walks in or out can be mentally tough. I like nothing more than just going away for the weekend with the tent and getting away from absolutely everything.

Ive always fancied getting into hillwalking, but noone to go do it with - friends and the other half are not keen on it. Dont fancy trekking alone.

Any start up tips would be welcome....! i.e. equipment needed/places to start etc...

Cheers

Most important thing when climbing is to have a sound navigaitional sense or be with people that do. Get a good pair of boots and make sure and break them in before going on your first climb, blisters can quickly make a good day seem like a nightmare.

I would always say start by climbing in summer as the weather is 'slightly' more predictable and makes navigating a lot easier, its also more rewarding when you get breathtaking views.

If anyone is interested I would have absolutely no problem going out with them in the local area, as we are lucky to have some fantastic munro's within 50 miles from the city.

I was only joking about my post a bit further up.

Never done hillwalking but I imagine it's quite nice being out there 'with nature'.

Get some good photos and views too I imagine.

Might do Ben Nevis this year.

Totally agree I have managed to get some great photos on the hills. Would really like to get a quality camera.

217314_10150157643137613_528372612_6907397_5044248_n.jpg

I watched a programme a few months ago about this guy who walked from Aberdeen beach to the West coast, it looked great.

I bought myself a pair of boots and a retractable walking stick on ebay and now go for a walk every weekend.

And guess what, I bloody love it !

I don't go up hills, more like go around them. I've done all the walks around Glen Tanar and this summer I want to do the Great Glen Way which goes from Inverness to Fort William down the side of Loch Ness.

Should take me 7 days and I'm looking forward to it.

That was Cameron McNeish's Coast to Coast, start in Aberdeen and finish in Knoydart.

Ive always fancied getting into hillwalking, but noone to go do it with - friends and the other half are not keen on it. Dont fancy trekking alone.

Any start up tips would be welcome....! i.e. equipment needed/places to start etc...

Cheers

aye, as mentioned a good pair of boots; they might cost a small fortune but if it means your feet are dry at the end of it then they were worth every penny. Get a pair of gaiters too, you might look like a fanny wearing them but will stop water soaking your trousers from the heels up. Oh yeah, never wear jeans up a munro, no matter how good an idea it might seem at the time.

The Scottish weather is so unpredictable and it's only amplified the further up the side of a hill you go, learn to read a map and use a compass (even if you have access to a gps device).

Some Munro paths are obvious from start to finish (ie Ben Nevis), however most paths can be easily lost if bad weather were to come in, so a gps device or map will get you back on the right path.

a couple of sites worth looking at

www.munromagic.com

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

For me, its a great hobby and a great way to keep fit. I've seen lots of Scotland that I would have otherwise missed. A good place to start? Depends where you are starting out from, but if its from Aberdeen then you have Driesh & Mayar, Lochnagar and Mount Keen to name a few. Mount Keen being one of the easiest Munros I have climbed to date, you get a good view of Lochnagar from it on a clear day, and if my memory serves me right, a fairly obvious path start to finish.

Always check the weather before you set off at http://www.mwis.org.uk/, it's updated daily and a very good guide to how your day will pan out weather wise ie if it says it's going to piss down all day, it probably will. Being caught in bad weather is bad enough, setting out in it is enough to put you off walking forever. I've learned that the hard way ;)