6 Nations

6 Nations start next week with a rather tasty home tie against England.

Looking forward to it, no idea how we will fair this year but if we beat England we could be a great outsider!!

Going down to the Millenium Stadium the following week to watch Wales v Scotland, anyone else going to the games?

Going to the Murrayfield games against England and France, and have also managed to get tickets for the Wales game at the Millenium, a fixture (and venue) I have always wanted to go to.

The atmosphere against England is always pretty special, can't wait for the big kick-off at 5pm next Saturday. Quietly confident that we might be on the verge of having a decent season but the first game will be crucial; a win against our old pals from south of the border will give us huge confidence for the remainder of the tournament, but a defeat could really rock us backwards. Let's hope for a positive performance and result.

...and yes, I'm also tipping Wales for the championship. Good young team with an abundance of attacking options.

Going to the Murrayfield games against England and France, and have also managed to get tickets for the Wales game at the Millenium, a fixture (and venue) I have always wanted to go to.

The atmosphere against England is always pretty special, can't wait for the big kick-off at 5pm next Saturday. Quietly confident that we might be on the verge of having a decent season but the first game will be crucial; a win against our old pals from south of the border will give us huge confidence for the remainder of the tournament, but a defeat could really rock us backwards. Let's hope for a positive performance and result.

...and yes, I'm also tipping Wales for the championship. Good young team with an abundance of attacking options.

Just hoping its raining heavy for the Wales game so the roof is closed, the atmosphere would be amazing.

Just hoping its raining heavy for the Wales game so the roof is closed, the atmosphere would be amazing.

Yup, was chatting to a Welsh colleague at work who has been to the Millenium several times, and she said to hope for the weather to be as awful as possible, precisely so they close the roof. Can't wait, I've always enjoyed the game against Wales at Murrayfield and looking forward to the return fixture in Cardiff.

Can't get excited about rugby in any way, and won't be watching any of this. Leave it to the richest man in Aberdeen who won't put a penny into the local football club and his ilk. Hooray henry guff wannabes imo :gay:

This is the problem with Rugby in Scotland. It's an elitist game only played, and mainly followed by the upper-middle classes.

When I was at Edinburgh University, you meet a lot of these types... I'd never before met Scottish people like that. There were also some really weird rituals, with an absolute under current of homo-eroticism, among the guys who played and supported the University team. I quite enjoy watching some international Rugby, but I find the behaviour and attitude of those Scottish people involved in the game very unsettling.

The funny thing is, in Australia, it's completely the opposite! A real mans sport for all the toothless savages and nut cases!

This is the problem with Rugby in Scotland. It's an elitist game only played, and mainly followed by the upper-middle classes.

When I was at Edinburgh University, you meet a lot of these types... I'd never before met Scottish people like that. There were also some really weird rituals, with an absolute under current of homo-eroticism, among the guys who played and supported the University team. I quite enjoy watching some international Rugby, but I find the behaviour and attitude of those Scottish people involved in the game very unsettling.

The funny thing is, in Australia, it's completely the opposite! A real mans sport for all the toothless savages and nut cases!

Something which I have deplored for some time. There are of course things which the SRU could do differently to try and change this, and bringing back the pro team in the Borders is one obvious step to take as it will re-connect the pro sport with the only part of Scotland where rugby actually IS the game of the 'ordinary man'. The other thing which needs to happen, however, is that people who genuinely love the sport in Scotland get out and support the national team as often as possible; complaining that it remains the preserve of the upper-middle classes isn't going to change anything, in fact it will simply prolong the issue.

Murrayfield internationals at times feel like a giant corporate networking event, instead of a major sporting contest. It never used to be like that; even as recently as the early 90s, I remember being at Murrayfield surrounded by thousands of chippy, pawky Borderers with their unique wit and sense of humour. Edinburgh used to be invaded by Borderes on 5 Nations match days but that doesn't really happen any more, sadly, and into the breach have rushed thousands of 'away' fans (I FUCKING HATE BEING OUTSUNG BY THE IRISH AT MURRAYFIELD, AAARRRGGGHHH!) and the corporate types.

Basically, it needs to be re-claimed as a sport for the people so that the homo-erotic types can bugger off and infect something else. Or just stick to things like rowing, croquet and shooting small, defenceless animals.

Something which I have deplored for some time. There are of course things which the SRU could do differently to try and change this, and bringing back the pro team in the Borders is one obvious step to take as it will re-connect the pro sport with the only part of Scotland where rugby actually IS the game of the 'ordinary man'. The other thing which needs to happen, however, is that people who genuinely love the sport in Scotland get out and support the national team as often as possible; complaining that it remains the preserve of the upper-middle classes isn't going to change anything, in fact it will simply prolong the issue.

Murrayfield internationals at times feel like a giant corporate networking event, instead of a major sporting contest. It never used to be like that; even as recently as the early 90s, I remember being at Murrayfield surrounded by thousands of chippy, pawky Borderers with their unique wit and sense of humour. Edinburgh used to be invaded by Borderes on 5 Nations match days but that doesn't really happen any more, sadly, and into the breach have rushed thousands of 'away' fans (I FUCKING HATE BEING OUTSUNG BY THE IRISH AT MURRAYFIELD, AAARRRGGGHHH!) and the corporate types.

Basically, it needs to be re-claimed as a sport for the people so that the homo-erotic types can bugger off and infect something else. Or just stick to things like rowing, croquet and shooting small, defenceless animals.

good post. I looked in to getting tickets this year for the games, England is sold out and France is on a Sunday so I've opted out of it.

When I mentioned this to a colleague who goes to all of the games at murrayfield, she and her partner were less than impressed at me wanting to go to a game based on the fact I'm a fitba fan. they took it upon themselves to tell me that my fitba attitude would not be welcome at murrayfield. The impression they gave me was that I wasn;t good enough to go to the game. It didn't put me off though as I continued trying to get tickets but no such luck.

good post. I looked in to getting tickets this year for the games, England is sold out and France is on a Sunday so I've opted out of it.

When I mentioned this to a colleague who goes to all of the games at murrayfield, she and her partner were less than impressed at me wanting to go to a game based on the fact I'm a fitba fan. they took it upon themselves to tell me that my fitba attitude would not be welcome at murrayfield. The impression they gave me was that I wasn;t good enough to go to the game. It didn't put me off though as I continued trying to get tickets but no such luck.

What a horrendous attitude for your colleague to take. You might want to remind her that when Murrayfield had its record attendance against Wales in 1977, part of the reason was that Hearts were due to play at Tynie that same afternoon but their game was called-off because of a frozen pitch, so everyone who would have been at Tynecastle just piled over the road and went to the rugby instead. And were of course welcomed with open arms by the then rugby fraternity (granted the football refugees did swell the attendance to well over 100,000 at which point the SRU decided that it was maybe time to introduce tickets!)

As a fan of both sports and an avid follower of the national team in both, I can assure your patronising colleague that Murrayfield and Hampden used to be equally noisy and passionate - a different type of passion, sure, but equally intense - but those days have long gone. If anything Murrayfield now actually NEEDS a bit of the Hampden spirit (for wont of a better expression) because, aside from the visit of England, the place is now a bit of a morgue.

It's SO frustrating to hear stories like this, really pisses me off. :banghead:

Good posts OD... however, I don't believe your dream will ever be realised! Things are too firmly entrenched.

I love watching most sports and usually I like to get right behind my national team in any sport... however, I can't get into Rugby, probably because of my upbringing. I cannot identify with the types of people that watch and play the sport. To me they aren't representative of Scotland as a nation.... rather a small community of privileged of people, whose attitude and behaviour is completely foreign to me - certainly not typically working class Scotland. I simply don't care if Scotland get beat by England in Rugby.

I've got tickets for Scotland v England this week. Never been to Rugby before and not a huge fan but anything we play England in is entertainment to me.

6 Nations is normally alright on thetv I'll watch it if Scotland are playing.

Looking forward to both sets of fans coming together and singing each others songs?

Bookies obviously do not fancy Scotland'c chances

Best odds -

6 Nations winners - 25/1

Grand slam - 125/1

Triple crown 33/1

And only 11/4 to finish bottom of the group.

I do not think we are that bad, defensively we are decent, just struggle to score try's.

That's been our problem for years. Haven't had consistent try scorers since Gregor Townsend and Craig Chalmers.

That's been our problem for years. Haven't had consistent try scorers since Gregor Townsend and Craig Chalmers.

Agreed, though I'd add Alan Tait to that list as well. The guy was like a very mobile barrell, low centre of gravity and almost impossible to stop when he picked up speed.

Things will improve when Tim Visser magically 'becomes' Scottish in the summer. The big man is the most natural finisher we've seen in Scottish rugby since the days when Tait and Townsend combined in the midfield to send opposition defences into a panic.

...anyway on to Saturday's game, and the news that Egg-land have announced their new captain - the guy has only one previous cap! :wtf:

I've never even heard of this dude:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16786581.stm

This HAS to be a good sign. We need to get in their faces early, straight from kick-off, 1990-style and try and unsettle them. Let them know they're in a game, particularly if they're going to be young and inexperienced.

...anyway on to Saturday's game, and the news that Egg-land have announced their new captain - the guy has only one previous cap! :wtf:

I've never even heard of this dude:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16786581.stm

This HAS to be a good sign. We need to get in their faces early, straight from kick-off, 1990-style and try and unsettle them. Let them know they're in a game, particularly if they're going to be young and inexperienced.

Should just walk out to the pitch like we did back then too :thumbup1:

Would just love to see Jeremy Guscott's face after we pap his team. Fucking hate that cunt