Ipad 2

bruceg1978

I'd heartily recommend getting the full monty...

I basically use it when I travel for everything - music, movies, reading and depending what apps take your fancy it can be well worth getting the top of the range 64GB 3G.

And if you get the bus or train to work, using the 3G obviously means you can stay connected too... Wifi goes without saying.

The more storage the better as far as I'm concerned.

If you don't want to use it out and about the wifi only one is the way to go.

Even if you do want to use it out and about, if you have a phone that allows you to use it as a wireless hotspot, then wifi might be the go too (I use my iPhone with it's large data plan for iPad internet usage while away on trips or at work or whatever)

If I was to get one it would definitely be the 3G version (unless you can go with the suggestion from Oz above). It would make it so much better when using it out and about. You might think you will just use it at home via wi-fi but there will be times when you are away somewhere and think..."jeezo, I wish I had 3G".

But, I would never get one. Totally pointless if you have a smart phone.

But, I would never get one. Totally pointless if you have a smart phone.

i think along the same lines as you hopey.

there are legions of apple geeks out where who worship at the alter of steve jobs and would start a jihad the moment you express admiration for windows or android.

i find the whole ipad thing a complete gimmick. its a laptop but not as good. no doubt it will do some other fancy stuff, but lob the apple logo on it and get some flashy marketing then slap a huge price tag on it. and away you go.

all these apple lemmings go ape shit for it.

Wife has got one - full monty - better than smart phone for actually looking at things online or movies. Switches on instantly - my netbook takes a wee while to get going but then has a proper keyboard.

Complements a smartphone neatly - depends what you are looking to do with it - 3g costs a bit extra but it means you can be more mobile with it and avoid the - wish I had internet access moments.

For some folk it's a great bit of kit, for others unnecessary, make sure you need it before you buy it (unless you have money to burn).

I find I use my iPhone way way less than before I got my iPad.

Use the iPad a lot when out and about (obviously not while in the streets... you'd look a right twat taking the iPad out in the street) but away for weekends, or at work (fantastic with bluetooth keyboard for note taking at work... claim use hence cost of it on tax. woohoo)

But yeah, around the house, sitting on the couch, catch up on news, email, play games, vid, much easier with the iPad.

I literally use my iPhone for a handful of things now:

1. Making/receiving calls (duh)

2. As an alarm clock

3. Messaging on the go

Pretty much every other use I had for it, is now on my iPad, so much so I'm thinking I might not bother with another full on smart phone when this one dies and go cheapie.

And as for my poor laptop it almost never gets used.

Actually if you want a laptop replacement as well you should look at the Asus Transformer Prime (until Mattel get them to change the name of it) if you like Android.

Personally I find Android shit. It's the tablet version of Linux imo. Too geeky, too half finished, and too proud of that heritage by far. But there are plenty of people who enjoy that and if you're one, then it might be a good alternative (to both the laptop and tablet).

As much as I dislike Android, if Apple were to come up with a similar form factor I'd be onto it. It was a good (if not obvious) call from Asus.

I actually am still wondering why no one has come up with a tablet that is just a big screen and battery... and a dock to slide your phone into to provide the brains. I actually thought the iPhone 4 when it came out WAS that... given the grooved shape.. fully expected there to be a slide in spot on the next tablet device but no.

Have to agree wi Crossbow and Don In Oz.

It's one of these bits of kit that ye dinna need until ye've got it, then it's irreplaceable.

The fact ye click a wee button and yer online is huge. Oor bairns, including the 2 year old, can work it, playing their Peppa Pig games and the like. Says a lot about how simple the design is.

We hook it up to the tv to stream Netflix or BBC iPlayer, much simpler and less cumbersome than a laptop.

My iPhone has its uses, but it's when eh'm on the go. Eh play Football Manager on the laptop, but if it wasn't for the fact eh use it for work too, it'd rarely get switched on.

Have to agree wi Crossbow and Don In Oz.

It's one of these bits of kit that ye dinna need until ye've got it, then it's irreplaceable.

The fact ye click a wee button and yer online is huge. Oor bairns, including the 2 year old, can work it, playing their Peppa Pig games and the like. Says a lot about how simple the design is.

We hook it up to the tv to stream Netflix or BBC iPlayer, much simpler and less cumbersome than a laptop.

My iPhone has its uses, but it's when eh'm on the go. Eh play Football Manager on the laptop, but if it wasn't for the fact eh use it for work too, it'd rarely get switched on.

Looking at getting an ipad2 for the house.

What process do you go through to hook your ipad up to the tv to watch netflix etc?

And are you able to use your proxy to pick up the U.S netflix and put it onto your tv?

Cheers Byen.

Looking at getting an ipad2 for the house.

What process do you go through to hook your ipad up to the tv to watch netflix etc?

And are you able to use your proxy to pick up the U.S netflix and put it onto your tv?

Cheers Byen.

We've a 7 year old tv, so there's easier ways on newer tvs. But for us, eh hook up a VGA adapter to the tv and on the other end one of they Apple VGA to Ipad convertors. Ye'll also need something to take the sound fae the Ipad to yer speakers, but that's really doon to yer own setup.

Eh took Robbie Winter's advice a few weeks back and got a VPN fae vpnuk.co.uk. Treat yerself and get the US VPN for an extra £2 a month or so. Then ye've 2 UK and 1 US IP address, and if you switch on the US VPN, Netflix thinks yer a septic :thumbup1:

Put the above together and Netflix streams fantastically on your tv, no buffering at all.

We've a 7 year old tv, so there's easier ways on newer tvs. But for us, eh hook up a VGA adapter to the tv and on the other end one of they Apple VGA to Ipad convertors. Ye'll also need something to take the sound fae the Ipad to yer speakers, but that's really doon to yer own setup.

Eh took Robbie Winter's advice a few weeks back and got a VPN fae vpnuk.co.uk. Treat yerself and get the US VPN for an extra

• 2 weeks later...

The old laptop is starting to go on the blink now...screen is playing up and the battery won't hold a charge, so it may soon be time to move on to something new.

As mrs has an laptop from before we moved in together I don't really need another laptop, so debating a tablet for using. I use an iphone, so would probably get an ipad as I know the set up and could use the apps etc. My only problem is the storage on the ipad. I've got over 30gb of music and video on my laptop just now and could easily add to with apps etc...eating a lot of space up quickly.

I'm aware that the external connections with ipads are pretty much non-existant, but was wondering if any of you any of you have any external hard drives/external storage devices that you use with your ipad?

The old laptop is starting to go on the blink now...screen is playing up and the battery won't hold a charge, so it may soon be time to move on to something new.

As mrs has an laptop from before we moved in together I don't really need another laptop, so debating a tablet for using. I use an iphone, so would probably get an ipad as I know the set up and could use the apps etc. My only problem is the storage on the ipad. I've got over 30gb of music and video on my laptop just now and could easily add to with apps etc...eating a lot of space up quickly.

I'm aware that the external connections with ipads are pretty much non-existant, but was wondering if any of you any of you have any external hard drives/external storage devices that you use with your ipad?

No quite whit yer looking for maybe, but there's various apps that allow you to connect to a laptop/pc and watch video etc. You'd need to obviously have the laptop on and if necessary the storage device hooked up, but it's one way round your situation.

No quite whit yer looking for maybe, but there's various apps that allow you to connect to a laptop/pc and watch video etc. You'd need to obviously have the laptop on and if necessary the storage device hooked up, but it's one way round your situation.

It was more to just let me work away from the laptop. Mine is pretty much on the blink! maybe the3 will have something suitable

As opposed to figuratively using it?

You parsed incorrectly. Or maybe your attention span meant that you stopped following the sentence after the 6 or so words and couldn't hang on for the final few.

The reason I said literally was because people are prone say things like that but be speaking out of their arse. Or speaking figuratively as you put it.

I literally use my iPhone for a handful of things now. I mean it: it's not hand-waving over simplification or exaggeration.

This lesson was brought to you by me, bitch.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Air Video. It lets you stream films in real time across your home network to your iPad. It also lets you have them convert NOT in real time so you can then load the film to the iPad for non-network viewing.

Think it's free but not sure. Whatever it is, it's piss easy to use.