Mlb

With the NFL and the Super bowl a distant memory, today is opening day for the new MLB season. (If you ignore the games in Japan.)

With Magic Johnston buying the LA Dodgers for $2 Billion today I think the NL West will remain the most open division this year with any one of 3 maybe 4, if the Rockies youngsters find form, capable of winning it. I'll stick with the Giants to pip Arizona though.

In the NL central I'm going for the Reds over the Brewers

In the East, unless Miami have a breakout season at their new park, Phillies over the Braves again.

In the AL East, I can see the Rays beating both Boston and the Yankees. But then that's on the basis that the Yankees are now the old man team in baseball and older teams either win everything or simply bomb. I think the latter this year.

Also this year there will be two wild card places so you could end up with all three teams in the post season.

AL Central will be won by Detroit with ease.

And in the West I'm going for Rangers to pip LA but wouldn't be surprised if LA claimed one of the wild card slots.

For an early WS prediction and as a Giants fan, I'm going for Rays v Giants. Giants in 6.

Thoughts from others?

With the NFL and the Super bowl a distant memory, today is opening day for the new MLB season. (If you ignore the games in Japan.)

With Magic Johnston buying the LA Dodgers for $2 Billion today I think the NL West will remain the most open division this year with any one of 3 maybe 4, if the Rockies youngsters find form, capable of winning it. I'll stick with the Giants to pip Arizona though.

In the NL central I'm going for the Reds over the Brewers

In the East, unless Miami have a breakout season at their new park, Phillies over the Braves again.

In the AL East, I can see the Rays beating both Boston and the Yankees. But then that's on the basis that the Yankees are now the old man team in baseball and older teams either win everything or simply bomb. I think the latter this year.

Also this year there will be two wild card places so you could end up with all three teams in the post season.

AL Central will be won by Detroit with ease.

And in the West I'm going for Rangers to pip LA but wouldn't be surprised if LA claimed one of the wild card slots.

For an early WS prediction and as a Giants fan, I'm going for Rays v Giants. Giants in 6.

Thoughts from others?

Can't disagree with much of that Monkey!

Wide open competition this season! I don't follow much of what goes on in the NL... but the Phillies are strong as usual and they'll take some beating.

In the American League, I agree on Detroit in the central division... the Rangers will be up there in the West, but LA, with the addition of Albert Pujols are going to be strong too.

The East, is as usual the most fascinating division in the league. I'm hoping Boston are going to be better this season.. a new coach so I don't really know what to expect. In summary; I doubt the offense will be as potent as it was last year, but hopefully it won't drop off too much, the big guns are still aboard! Starting pitching should hopefully be the big improvement this year - on the basis that it couldn't be any worse than last season! No Lackey until later in the season is a bonus! As a front three Lester, Beckett and Buchholz is potentially as good as you'll get... hopefully Bard can step-up too and injuries are avoided!

The big worries are at catcher, shortstop and relief pitching.... but again, I'm hoping for a slight improvement - again on the basis that surely they can't be any worse than last season!

Agree that the Yankees are over the hill, but I still think they'll be there or thereabouts. Think the Rays will take the division, with Boston hopefully shading New York for the second spot. However, for the first time in a long time, I don't think the East will get the wild card. The Rangers or Angels will take that....

Couldn't hazard a guess at who'll win the whole thing, but I'd love to see the Rays winning. Well run organisation, who've been really strong for a few years now - they deserve a bit of success.

This has got to be one of the most tightest years in baseball that i have seen, honestly think it could go to several amount of teams.

I have a good feeling Boston wont get upto much, hope The Rays get one of the Wild Cards with Yankees taking the divsion.

Tigers will piss the central.

Angles will be strong with Wilson and Albert joining them, hope Texas take the other Wild Card. (i think they are the only team that could stop Boston gettin the 2nd wild card!)

In the national league The Phillies will be there (the team that i think should win the WS), i think St Louis will struggle badly and expect their rivals Reds to beat them.

Miami is the team to look out for this year i think, new logo, new stadium, new players! Should be an exciting team.

I'll also add that i think the Cubs will end their WS curse in the next 4/5 years, they are building for the future and when they peak i think they will peak at the right time with all teams weaker in the coming years!

Hoping for a Phillies, Yankee final. Yankee's edging a 7 game thriller :thumbup1:

Can i ask why you think it was deserved?

CC had a rough first inning, after that was pretty much in control, and as much as i like Swisher he had 2 chances to bring more runs in and blew it. Mo had a really bad day and Pena has got lucky twice!

Dont know much about Kuroda for tonights match, hopefully we'll get back on track!

They should just give the Tigers the division title now! :laughing:

Big Al struggled on his first day with the Angels, 0-3 including a double play on his first at bat!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SOTR please tell me you are watching your team crash and burn. All kinds of trouble off the field while a horrific run leaves you bottom of the AL East! :hysterical::lolrangers:

Phillies are still struggling, Tigers still havent shown how good they can be, Angles woes continue as Albert bats under .200!

The 2nd half of the season is going to have to be explosive for a lot of the "bigger" teams if they want to reach the play offs!

• 4 months later...

Nae much interest this year seeing as there's been nae post since May?

Play offs about to start this weekend, but I have a question for those in the know.

There are play offs for the wild card slot, when did this start, because the team with the highest % used to get the wildcard.

As it happens in AL both play off sides have the same %, but in NL The Braves have a higher % than Cardinals, so why the play off?

Nae much interest this year seeing as there's been nae post since May?

Play offs about to start this weekend, but I have a question for those in the know.

There are play offs for the wild card slot, when did this start, because the team with the highest % used to get the wildcard.

As it happens in AL both play off sides have the same %, but in NL The Braves have a higher % than Cardinals, so why the play off?

Starting this year there are two wild cards instead of one and these teams play a one off match and the winner then continues on in the post season as before.

It's designed to provide an additional chance for teams to reach the post season to keep the excitement going for more teams through September.

Anyone else see the Braves fans going mental (and quite rightly so) ended up lobbing all their cans and bottles onto the pitch.

The Cards advanced despite The Braves battering them.

The O's beat the imploded Rangers to knock them out and with Hamilton being a free agent and getting booed by his own support will be interesting to see where he ends up. Reckon Boston will snap him up.

Tomorrow has 4 play off games on :)

Any predictions?

Anyone else see the Braves fans going mental (and quite rightly so) ended up lobbing all their cans and bottles onto the pitch.

The O's beat the imploded Rangers to knock them out and with Hamilton being a free agent and getting booed by his own support will be interesting to see where he ends up. Reckon Boston will snap him up.

Any predictions?

Wouldn't mind seeing Hamilton at the Red Sox! It was a tough loss for Texas, particularly after the last two seasons.

Would love to see the O's beat the Yankees!

Any predictions?

Didna see it and didna know the result.

Seems a bit out of character for Braves fans like, what happened?

I did note that Chipper Jones was now retiring after 19 years at Atlanta.

I was there for a spell in 2000 - 2001 and he was a big hero then. I was amazed that he was still there.

It happened in the 8th inning. Braves had men on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out.

The next boy to bat, fucked a fly ball to shallow left field, Cards short stop and left fielder both missed it which would have loaded the bases with 1 out. However the extra umpire ruled that it was an infield fly ball which meant the batter was out.

Braves manager then had a right go, tried to protest the match, got told he couldn't cause it would fuck up the fixtures, meanwhile The Braves fans went nuts, delayed the game for 20 minutes with all the rubbish.

As for Chipper, it was a sad night to end it, think he went 1-5 and made a costly error which Cards scored from.

A bit OT but any you guys seen Moneyball. It's a film about the Oakland A's, I really enjoyed it.