What Is The Actual Problem?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the exception of the Coca Cola Cup win in '95 why exactly have our team been bottling big games for so long? What is the real reason behind this? Is it bad man-management? Lack of effort from the players? A losers mentality within the club? Or all of these things?

Any club can lose important matches, that is to be expected, however when it gets to this sort of stage when it's constantly happening there has to be answers from the powers that be and address this problem. It's happened too much this and it's annoying and also downright embarrassing too.

I can't say.

Might be worth asking a Dundee United fan?

Each semi-final we've thrown away in the last 4 years has had a different reason behind it.

Against Dundee United we panicked after going into the lead. Against QotS we simply had a collective brain-fart and couldn't handle the fact that the opposition were there to win the game as well.

The first semi against Celtic the defence and keeper had a nightmare. The second we actually did OK but the red card meant that defeat was inevitable.

And on Saturday we simply didn't have enough imagination, width and drive in the side to take advantage of Fallon's goal and go on and win the game against a Hibs side that would have capitulated against almost any other team in the league (or 1st division) at the point where they conceded.

There's mental weakness in the side, of that there's no doubt. But that wouldn't be important if the team was sent out with players confident in their own role in the team and also confident in their teammates.

We don't have that though. We have a bunch of round pegs in square holes and that's where the weakness comes from.

McGhee was about as bad as it got. No one is to blame for his horrible tenure more than McGhee himself. If, however, I can put aside my resentment of his time as manager here, and read this article as an interview of someone who has succeeded both in England and Scotland with multiple clubs but been our worst manager ever, then I can't help but agree with much of it. It's like we are trying to emulate Motherwell's success by pinching their manager and then providing a bigger budget. 2 managers on the trot has proven that this approach is worthless. We need to look at the entire set up of Motherwell and the way they run their football club. Then we might have a chance of emulating their success.

McGheeHeraldInterviewSomeTimeLastYear

Questions perhaps need to be asked of our goalkeeping coach in this case, yet again it seems a case of who is less bad and therefore gets a game.

been saying this for ages. when's the last time you saw a senior keeper improve or a young guy getting further than the 19's? don't think either have happened under leighton's tutelage and that is pretty bad.

been saying this for ages. when's the last time you saw a senior keeper improve or a young guy getting further than the 19's? don't think either have happened under leighton's tutelage and that is pretty bad.

yet people were so outraged when McGhee got rid...

Its purely a ploy by milne to devalue and disengage the fitba team from the city so we dont bother and cant be arsed. the pretence of a new stadium the odd semi final eventually we believe we are only that good and settle for that, less and less fans go making it an easier deal to shut the shop switch the lights off and goodnight vienna nae more AFC as the fan base has melted. Worse it seems to be working.

If cove huns change their name I'd follow them but on name alone I cant as i'm allergic....

Aye, I do like Jason Brown but when I look back I feel as if he could have done better with BOTH goals, a taller keeper would have saved the second one and the first was a total WTF moment.

I like him too, great spirit but he's shite. When was the last keeper that came through the youth system, let alone the last one that turned out to be any fucking use?. It's no coincidence the last finals we reached we had Jim Leighton in goals and he wasn't even at his peak.

To be honest, I don't really care how the club spends wages but it's fairly obvious we need a keeper and have done for years. It doesn't fill me with any hope that Brown may get rested in the last few games and a keeper nicknamed "Clangers" will get a game.

What success?

I'm not sure I get the question - what success for Motherwell or what success for McGhee? Either way, success is all relevant. A quick look at the league table over the past few seasons confirms Motherwell are a success compared to ourselves. McGhee's track record is not so straight forward, but promotions to the Championship, and multiple play offs, and an FA cup semi suggest some success. Sure, he has also had some failures, but a quick look at Aberdeen's record over the same period is enough for me to think of him as a reasonably successful manager who came to us and sunk to our all too familiar level of shit.

I'm not sure I get the question - what success for Motherwell or what success for McGhee? Either way, success is all relevant. A quick look at the league table over the past few seasons confirms Motherwell are a success compared to ourselves. McGhee's track record is not so straight forward, but promotions to the Championship, and multiple play offs, and an FA cup semi suggest some success. Sure, he has also had some failures, but a quick look at Aberdeen's record over the same period is enough for me to think of him as a reasonably successful manager who came to us and sunk to our all too familiar level of shit.

I meant Motherwell, I don't think they are a barometer of success.

What success?

They are looking likely to getting into Europe for the 4th time in 5 years.

They are also in the driving seat to getting that 3rd spot - i.e. top of the diddy league. That would be the second time in 5 years.

They got to the Scottish cup final last season.

Each of these achievments are far better than what Aberdeen have been up to of late and given the level of expectation and apathy within the support, would be viewed as a success at Aberdeen by all except Tup of course.

Given the fan base, budget available and proximity to both :lolceltic: and :lolrangers: , this is a succesful period for Motherwell.

True, but I really don't see how an absolute blind spot for width and squad balance for successive managers would be anything other than major managerial blunders - that can't be to do with the club being rotten or in a malaise surely?

The right manager can make a success of this job, and it wouldn't take a lot to acheive that either IMO.

Can't argue too much with that. Can't help but feeling the defeatist stench contributes, but it's hard to link that directly to your blind spot for width and squad balance though.

You don't think a Scottish cup final, regular trips to Europe and competing for third place wouldnt be viewed as success for the majority of the Aberdeen support? (Not including yourself obviously)

I think it's a losers attitude to class it as success, but it's a damn sight better than what we've had for the last 5 years and somewhere we need to be back up to.

You could class Hearts as being successful though, if they win the cup, (2 in 6 years). Consistently good league finishes.

We're just a shambles of a club really, from top to bottom.

You don't think a Scottish cup final, regular trips to Europe and competing for third place wouldnt be viewed as success for the majority of the Aberdeen support? (Not including yourself obviously)

No, not unless they're insane, or duped into believing that the above represents success, by the Old Firm fraternity who write the newspapers.

Success = winning things.

Motherwell have won nothing, nor have Aberdeen, what you are arguing over is differing shades of shit.