Clyde's Take On That Sfl Meeting

Their webserver appears to be pretty busy (can't think why...), so here's their statement in full, reproduced from here http://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2012/07/04/4137/:

The club sent two directors to attend the meeting of the SFL clubs yesterday and they have reported back to the Board. The meeting and conversations covered the best part of 5 hours but there were only a few overarching themes.

The clear message portrayed is that Scottish Football is in a very dark place indeed and there is simply no good solution to what is now a structural problem that has gone beyond a one dimensional issue of where Rangers should play next season. No matter what happens now there is going to be enormous fallout across the Scottish game. Whether some good can be extracted from the impending mess will depend entirely on the SPL clubs, guided by the currently absent leadership of the SFA.

Neil Doncaster wanted only one thing from the meeting, to get a steer from the SFL clubs whether they would allow Rangers into SFL1. He talked the clubs through a detailed explanation of where the SPL clubs would lose

Any level of integrity for the sport will be lost by one outcome and financial collapse, we are told, will fall upon the SPL with the other

Fine, then it must be total financial collapse for the SPL. Integrity cannot be compromised for anything.

Its clear now, this isn't about the death of Scottish football, Scottish football will be just fine, its about the death of the SPL and the model in which everything, tv, sponsorship, etc is based on the existence of 2 clubs. That model deserves to fail and along with it Doncaster's protectionist attitude of knowing full well his very job is on the line here as well.

• Upvote 11

Fine, then it must be total financial collapse for the SPL. Integrity cannot be compromised for anything.

Its clear now, this isn't about the death of Scottish football, Scottish football will be just fine, its about the death of the SPL and the model in which everything, tv, sponsorship, etc is based on the existence of 2 clubs. That model deserves to fail and along with it Doncaster's protectionist attitude of knowing full well his very job is on the line here as well.

Exactly. If everything hinges on those two clubs, then it's a prime example of how NOT to run a business. It reminds me of my last workplace, who made a whole heap of people redundant because of ONE contract being lost. Absolute incompetence.

The spectacle of the top league being run independently of the lower leagues always stank anyway. Apart from England and Italy, no one else seems to do it. Germany, Netherlands, Spain, France - none of them have a separate body administering the top division.

The SPL was born out of greed, and it will die because of it. Good fucking riddance.

• Upvote 5

Reading that statement obviously makes Doncaster look like a pretty despicable person. However, there is absolutely NO WAY he could come out with that shit without the majority of the SPL clubs backing him. :( The end is nigh...

AFC aren't backing him and I doubt he has much backing from any of the SPL clubs. The guy is a cunt, simple as that.

Interesting that Celtic are saying fuck all mind you!

Exactly. If everything hinges on those two clubs, then it's a prime example of how NOT to run a business. It reminds me of my last workplace, who made a whole heap of people redundant because of ONE contract being lost. Absolute incompetence.

That ain't incompetence. That is making changes to your organisation to adapt to new circumstances.

Incompetence would be if a primary supplier went bust and you had no contingency plans to ensure that you met contractual requirements. Perhaps source a new supplier, renegotiate with customers and so on.

Neil Doncaster seems to not like the idea of adapting at all.

AFC aren't backing him and I doubt he has much backing from any of the SPL clubs. The guy is a cunt, simple as that.

Interesting that Celtic are saying fuck all mind you!

If so, then I'd expect at least one team to come out immediately and confirm they are in no way supportive of plans to blackmail SFL clubs into voting Rangers into Div 1 with threats of cutting the lower divisions adrift. It would be an absolutely indefensible thing for one man to suggest without the support of the majority of the SPL! I cannot believe that even a cunt like Doncaster could be so fucking stupid.

EDIT: You know as soon as I posted this, I thought I will probably have to retract that last sentence at some point... :(

That ain't incompetence. That is making changes to your organisation to adapt to new circumstances.

Incompetence would be if a primary supplier went bust and you had no contingency plans to ensure that you met contractual requirements. Perhaps source a new supplier, renegotiate with customers and so on.

Neil Doncaster seems to not like the idea of adapting at all.

I would say basing your entire business plan on one contract is pretty incompetent.

Anyway, who cares - they're officially out of the SPL now!

If so, then I'd expect at least one team to come out immediately and confirm they are in no way supportive of plans to blackmail SFL clubs into voting Rangers into Div 1 with threats of cutting the lower divisions adrift. It would be an absolutely indefensible thing for one man to suggest without the support of the majority of the SPL! I cannot believe that even a cunt like Doncaster could be so fucking stupid.

No way does he have a majority SPL backing but it would appear he does have the backing of Celtic who have been suspiciously quiet throughout.

I would say basing your entire business plan on one contract is pretty incompetent.

Anyway, who cares - they're officially out of the SPL now!

Don't think you can say that, with all the pressure being put on clubs to re-admit them. The way things are going it looks likely that they will get back in.

Don't think you can say that, with all the pressure being put on clubs to re-admit them. The way things are going it looks likely that they will get back in.

Take a look at the Rangers Are Dead thread - the SPL chairmen voted and they've "overwhelmingly" voted against Newco.

Just the SFL1 hurdle to clear, and then we can all trot along to Todders next season, safe in the knowledge that we're watching a sporting tournament, rather than a pre-determined sports entertainment show.

Take a look at the Rangers Are Dead thread - the SPL chairmen voted and they've "overwhelmingly" voted against Newco.

Just the SFL1 hurdle to clear, and then we can all trot along to Todders next season, safe in the knowledge that we're watching a sporting tournament, rather than a pre-determined sports entertainment show.

I hope you are right, BBC lunchtime news said the vote was being delayed.

• Downvote 2