Regan - Resign!

Dear Stewart,

I awake this morning on the back of what was a great day for Scottish football, that should now lead on to a full and thorough redrawing of the Scottish football model, for the benefit of all fans and clubs in the country, rather than two sets, to read your appalling statement from late yesterday.

How can someone in charge of the game in this country, state we are about to enter a slow lingering death?

The fans don't believe it, the clubs (10

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 1

Dear Stewart,

I awake this morning on the back of what was a great day for Scottish football, that should now lead on to a full and thorough redrawing of the Scottish football model, for the benefit of all fans and clubs in the country, rather than two sets, to read your appalling statement from late yesterday.

How can someone in charge of the game in this country, state we are about to enter a slow lingering death?

The fans don't believe it, the clubs (10

I genuinely thought Regan was going about breaking up the old boys' club at the SFA, but seems he has joined it instead.

It is shocking at how badly the people running our game are trying to shoehorn Rangers back in. They've all forgotten that it is a sport first and foremost. I am glad the football men are largely seeing this from the perspective of a sport, and I hope that once this is put to bed, these guys are immediately removed from their positions. Since all they have done is predict doomsday, they are (as FS said) not well placed to take Scottish football forward.

Are the remarks below the daftest ever made by an official of Scottish football?

By STEPHEN HALLIDAY

Published on Wednesday 4 July 2012 21:26

SCOTTISH Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan has issued a startling warning of "social unrest" in Scotland if newco Rangers are denied entry to the First Division of the Scottish Football League following the emphatic rejection today of their application to retain top-flight football at Ibrox.

Regan's remarkable comment came as he insisted admission to the First Division is now the only viable option if Scottish football wishes to avoid what he described as a "slow, lingering death".

Regan bluntly asserted that Scottish football simply cannot afford to have Rangers outwith the top two tiers of the league structure, with his argument not confined to the commercial impact their absence would have.

"Without Rangers, there is social unrest and a big problem for Scottish society," claimed Regan. "They have a huge fan base and to contemplate the situation where those fans don't have a team to support, where those fans are effectively left without a game to follow, I just think that could lead to all sorts of issues, all sorts of problems for the game.

"Tribalism in football is really important. It is part of the game. People follow their clubs with pride, it is passed down from generation to generation. There are thousands of Rangers fans whose fathers and parents and grandfathers have been Rangers fans. You can't contemplate a situation without that and if Rangers weren't to exist that could have real dire consequences.

this guy must go, now

The bottom line with all these "financial considerations" to losing an OF has to be that all the commercial deals made going forward should not be permitted to be based on the presence or success of any one team. They have to sell our game as a package and there should be no reference to Rangers or Celtic in any specific way in those deals.

EDIT: In fact it should be added to the constitution of the SPL etc that all such deals in future clearly state they cannot be reliant on the success or presence of any particular team and there must be a clause in every contract that states the contract is still legally binding regardless of which teams are present in the top division.

We all knew that pro-Hun bias was rife amongst the upper echelons of Scottish football, but Regan and Doncaster have made it absolutely clear as day now. It's actually kind of worrying that they feel they can be so brazen about it, and makes you wonder just how endemic it really is. They're not just favouring Rangers here, they're actually trying to say that Scottish football is worthless without Rangers. If Scottish football is nothing without regular 90 minute hatefests between Celtic and Rangers, then how can anyone take their attempts to get rid of sectarianism seriously? How can we be sure they don't secretly promote such behaviour behind the scenes, in the same way reality TV producers stoke fires of conflict to make their "product" more sensational?

The cunt's got to go, along with Doncaster, Ogilvie, and any other fucker that thinks Rangers = Scottish football.

Fuck it, maybe we even need to start all over again from scratch.

'Social unrest' - so because of Rangers Football Clubs/Newco's supporters behaviours/attitudes etc, we have to accept them into Division One, so they wont 'kick off' - go fuck yourself Regan, and take Doncaster with you.

We all knew that pro-Hun bias was rife amongst the upper echelons of Scottish football, but Regan and Doncaster have made it absolutely clear as day now. It's actually kind of worrying that they feel they can be so brazen about it, and makes you wonder just how endemic it really is. They're not just favouring Rangers here, they're actually trying to say that Scottish football is worthless without Rangers. If Scottish football is nothing without regular 90 minute hatefests between Celtic and Rangers, then how can anyone take their attempts to get rid of sectarianism seriously? How can we be sure they don't secretly promote such behaviour behind the scenes, in the same way reality TV producers stoke fires of conflict to make their "product" more sensational?

The cunt's got to go, along with Doncaster, Ogilvie, and any other fucker that thinks Rangers = Scottish football.

Fuck it, maybe we even need to start all over again from scratch.

I ask this in all seriousness, and with no anti-Guff thoughts coming into this, but is it because they are English?

Listening to Talkshite yesterday, we had Darren Gough telling us that all he watches from Scotland is Huns v Tims, Durham having no clue whatsoever about any club outwith Huns/Tims, and to be fair, even then his knowledge was appalling.

So we get two Guffs running Scottish football, they are so out of touch with the man in the street because they are not from here, they havn't grown up with a media force feeding old Firm shite at us every day, with highlights programmes who concentrate mostly (soley in the past where Scotspost was Rangers/Sportscene Celtic or vice-versa) on the two bigots, and with replica bigot-top wearing fiels parading up and down every high street in the country.

We're all sick of it, but they come from England where "it's one of the biggest games in the world". They are totally out of touch with the people they are supposed to represent, all they see is what the agenda driven gobshites like Traynor fill their heads with.

Stewart (and Donkeycaster), if you won't do the decent thing and resign (or be sacked) then get yourselves on the road, set up fans roadshows around the country and speak to people, perhaps then you may come to understand why your comments over the recent weeks, have been so badly received. Though I doubt it.

• Upvote 2

I ask this in all seriousness, and with no anti-Guff thoughts coming into this, but is it because they are English?

Listening to Talkshite yesterday, we had Darren Gough telling us that all he watches from Scotland is Huns v Tims, Durham having no clue whatsoever about any club outwith Huns/Tims, and to be fair, even then his knowledge was appalling.

So we get two Guffs running Scottish football, they are so out of touch with the man in the street because they are not from here, they havn't grown up with a media force feeding old Firm shite at us every day, with highlights programmes who concentrate mostly (soley in the past where Scotspost was Rangers/Sportscene Celtic or vice-versa) on the two bigots, and with replica bigot-top wearing fiels parading up and down every high street in the country.

We're all sick of it, but they come from England where "it's one of the biggest games in the world". They are totally out of touch with the people they are supposed to represent, all they see is what the agenda driven gobshites like Traynor fill their heads with.

Stewart (and Donkeycaster), if you won't do the decent thing and resign (or be sacked) then get yourselves on the road, set up fans roadshows around the country and speak to people, perhaps then you may come to understand why your comments over the recent weeks, have been so badly received. Though I doubt it.

To answer your first question: yes, it is. And they should be sent homewards to think again.

But it's also because they're not here to make football better and fairer - they're here to try and make as much money out of football as possible. Hence why money underlines every decision they've made so far in this debacle. This has the same roots as the problems with the banks, where they're run by people whose sole concern is maximising profit, and fuck the consequences. Perfect example is Andy Hornby, who used to run HBOS, whose previous job was working for fucking Asda. What did that cunt know about banking? Fuck all. Similarly, what do Regan and Doncaster know about Scottish football? Fuck all. But in both situations, the sole concern of those who put them in place was that they had a history of making money from things.

It;s not because they are English, is Campbell Ogilvie? They are without doubt misguided, possibly ill informed - there are plenty of such in Scotland too and we've had our run of Scottish SPL/SFA leaders who would struggle to find their arse with both hands without guidance. When you are in an organisation that is instutionally corrupt as the SPL and SFA appear to be you tend to take on its values. We need root and branch reform of structure, personnel and targets. If we only move on the mouthpieces ultimately nothing will really change within the governing bodies.

i've emailed lispy too

asking him to resign , asking him "if his eyes were painted on" when he said he backed the formation of spl2, had he not seen the mess the cartel had already made of our game.

also told him that him backing div one entry was match rigging, and that i would be interested to hear the polices view on the league rigging.

i also emailed cockwomble accused him of being slimy, corrupt and saked if he was as stupid as he looks

i am happy to forward if you send email address

• 4 years later...

What a pile of wank.

Designed with the huns and tims in mind, no doubt.

Scottish clubs need to play in a cross-border league to avoid “being left behind”, according to the chief executive of the country’s Football Association. A Champions League place for the winners is among the ideas being considered.

Stewart Regan believes such a concept would have football and financial benefits to clubs in countries such as Scotland and he is part of a Uefa working group investigating how cross-border competition can form part of the strategy at European football’s governing body.
Regan’s vision is that Scottish clubs who drop out of Europe before Christmas could enter a cross-border league involving teams in an identical situation in other countries. One potential and serious option would see groups of six countries, such as those in northern Europe or the Balkans, combine to play in tandem with respective domestic leagues.
“There is a recognition that we have to change,” said Regan. “There is a saying: ‘If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.’
“We are in danger at the moment of keeping perpetuating the Champions League brand as the answer to everything. It has been a fantastic journey and a fantastic success but there are signs now emerging that it is peaking. In any other brand, at the point of large peaks you do something else. I think people will get bored with Champions League predictability, particularly in markets where your own country isn’t represented for long spells in the season.
“How do we keep the dream alive in Europe? For me, that is cross-border. It is giving clubs the chance to play against other big teams for a big prize. That prize might be entry back into the Champions League.
“Not every year and with the recent exception of Celtic and Rangers, most of our teams historically have been out [of Europe] by Christmas therefore European dates are free during the second half of the season. If you look at the TV audiences at the moment in the markets where teams are out, the Champions League audiences are in decline. The English Premier league in countries around Europe is starting to gain more traction than Uefa’s own competitions.
“What we are saying is: ‘How do we address that?’ because if we do nothing, the big countries will get bigger and bigger while the small countries will never be able to compete in Europe.”
Regan believes the issue needs to be addressed swiftly. “I think the way European competition is going, the less Uefa responds before the next television deal – post-2021 – they will miss the chance to test the validity of cross border competition,” he said. “Then, the big will just keep getting bigger.”
He insists the on-field benefit could be as tangible as that on balance sheets. “We need to play against the best players to develop our own,” he added. “There is a football argument here which is best versus best. You can look at the best players in Scotland and ask why there aren’t multi-million pound bids coming in.
“The quality of the league is the issue and we are struggling to punch above our weight in terms of the perception of our league, when you compare it to others. Our league is not seen as a place where players are developed because if they are against average players, week in, week out, rather than world-class players then they are never going to become world class.
“You need to play at the highest level you possibly can. That’s why cross border gives us a chance to play against better teams, for longer. If we are out of Europe by Christmas, that’s half a season. If Scottish clubs had a chance to play against big clubs from other nations, then they are going to perform better in the longer term.
This month, Anders Horsholt, the FC Copenhagen director, revealed discussions have been held over a potential European league involving teams from Scotland, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway and Sweden. Regan believes this would improve the standard of competition across the board.
“From a football point of view, I think there is that real best versus best opportunity,” he said. “From a commercial standpoint, having your clubs playing European competition after Christmas as well as competing domestically I think gives another string to the bow.
“Whether that is attendances, television revenues, additional sponsorship or exposure outside of your own country. You can build a brand.”

What a pile of wank.

Designed with the huns and tims in mind, no doubt.

Purely with them in mind. Always said that if they wanted to go - they should just go. But they shouldn't be allowed so called 'colt' teams to stay and take up league places, and when it falls on its arse for them because after 2-3 seasons of no trophies and dwindling viewing figures, they shouldn't be allowed back in.

Dont think what he is saying is that bad. Some sort of European football after Christmas surely wouldn't be a bad thing, and whether it has the Old Firm in mind or not, Aberdeen as a regular European qualifier would benefit.

He's still not fit for purpose though. Both him and Doncaster.

champions league would not get boring if it were not the same hand picked teams

instead of 4th and 5th place in some leagues just make it first 2 in every league knock out and it will give others a better chance

and no prizes for guessing it will be invitation only with the bigot brothers being Scotlands representatives

Dont think what he is saying is that bad. Some sort of European football after Christmas surely wouldn't be a bad thing, and whether it has the Old Firm in mind or not, Aberdeen as a regular European qualifier would benefit.

Yes, it would be thrilling to play teams like KF Shkendija and Kairat Almaty in a meaningless made-up league in the depths of winter.

I think that's the problem. The UEFA cup is now so broad that you'd basically be hand picking the clubs "knocked out before Christmas" to play in Regan's bastardised atlantic league. As someone said elsewhere he states that its bad that CL and Europa clubs are getting bigger to everyone else's detriment and its nae fair because it should be Celtic (fair do's) and Rangers :wtf: ball and they should get to pick and choose who gets to play with it. A tad hypocritical, but then when has that stopped him before.

In a Scottish context I can only see this making the top 5 (euro qualifiers) all the stronger to the complete detriment of the rest of the country's leagues. Question is, is that what we want and the answer isn't, if we're honest, a straight no. But my gut feeling is its still a no. Plus I wouldn't trust the bluenose guffy cunt further than I could kick him.

• Site Sponsor

What Scottish football needs is to tear up the TV deal, play at 3 on a Saturday and have the game geared towards the folk who actually go to matches. (Sorry Roberto).

Fuck the financial consequences the game will find its own level.

• Upvote 1

What Scottish football needs is to tear up the TV deal, play at 3 on a Saturday and have the game geared towards the folk who actually go to matches. (Sorry Roberto).

Unfortunately, we're so far gone that you won't have kid wanting to watch their local football team. They want to watch the teams they see on tv. Probably the main reason there are so many kids in the city who follow the ugly sisters.

MY nephew doesn't have the luxury of Sky TV so can't watch Scotland games. He likes Wales because he saw them play during the summer.

Unfortunately, we're so far gone that you won't have kid wanting to watch their local football team. They want to watch the teams they see on tv. Probably the main reason there are so many kids in the city who follow the ugly sisters.

MY nephew doesn't have the luxury of Sky TV so can't watch Scotland games. He likes Wales because he saw them play during the summer.

Yes, it's too late. Change in the footballing landscape of Scotland needs to be wholesale, thorough and ruthless.

Sky have just admitted that interest in live football is waning too. They already let BT get the Champions League games because nobody gives a fuck about that tournament anymore.

Football is way past saturation point now, it's about to come crashing down.