A Summer Spl?

Too many summer activities as there is,golf,bools,gardening and other outdoor shit.In the winter when tensions are running high due to being stuck indoors,it's good to get out and give the opposition, or your own team for that matter,pelters,therefore,winter fitba is good for your mental health.

• Upvote 1

I think summer football makes sense. Ireland does it and so do all the Nordic countries, and Scotland's climate is more like a Nordic country than the south of England.

It was the 4-0 hammering Scotland took at the hands of Norway a few years back that convinced me. That was purely down to Norway being in the middle of their season, and Scotland not having started ours. Also, when it comes to the preliminary stages of the Europa League, there's always a good chance of Scottish teams being drawn with clubs that are already in the middle of their season. That puts us at a disadvantage if we meet them, whereas summer football gives us an advantage when we meet teams that DON'T have summer football (e.g. Sigma Olomouc...)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think summer football makes sense. Ireland does it and so do all the Nordic countries, and Scotland's climate is more like a Nordic country than the south of England.

It was the 4-0 hammering Scotland took at the hands of Norway a few years back that convinced me. That was purely down to Norway being in the middle of their season, and Scotland not having started ours. Also, when it comes to the preliminary stages of the Europa League, there's always a good chance of Scottish teams being drawn with clubs that are already in the middle of their season. That puts us at a disadvantage if we meet them, whereas summer football gives us an advantage when we meet teams that DON'T have summer football (e.g. Sigma Olomouc...)

Aye but how many of those Norwegian players were based in a country playing summer football? Your Pedersons, Riise, Carew, Hangelaand all based in winter football countries.

I'd put that result down to a sending off and Burley!

Aye but how many of those Norwegian players were based in a country playing summer football? Your Pedersons, Riise, Carew, Hangelaand all based in winter football countries.

I'd put that result down to a sending off and Burley!

These "fact" things are inconvenient and puncture holes in my argument. Therefore I will ignore them.

Except for the sending off thing. Fucking bastard Gary Caldwell...

Too many summer activities as there is,golf,bools,gardening and other outdoor shit.

I keep hearing this... that, "Och there's gowf/tennis/cricket/jolly hockey sticks in the summer." as an argument against Summer football.

Personally I give not one flat fuck about any of those 'sports' and would no more watch tennis than I'd hack my cock off with a spoon. Let them play their shit excuses for sports in the winter, and we'll play fitba in the summer.

It would benefit the game in Scotland, for sure.

Less call-offs, players less inclined to charge around like demented whippets on a hot day... and in fact more prone to playing a passing game. Pitches not flooded then ploughed up like a teuchters best tatty field, crowds more likely to turn up because it isn't pissing down or freezing cauld.

Fuck our national sport playing second fiddle to piss like Wimbledon or The Open...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Surely now is the time to seriously consider a switch to summer football. The SPL and those who run it should now be exploring the options that are best for its clubs in the long run, a run without 'Rangers' for the foreseeable future. Scottish football will always play second fiddle to the Premiership.

We've had all manner of kick-off times to suit their schedules. However, Sky has been keen in the past to show live football during their quieter months (ie June & July) so you would have to assume any proposal to move our season into that gap would be welcomed. Just think, from mid may until mid August Scottish football would be the main focus for their football coverage. No distraction of PL to attract armchair fans, no major re-scheduling of KO's. Less chance of postponements due to weather, better weather in general and can take advantage of schools being off to attract the younger punters.

A season that ran from say April

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The sooner we get summer football in this country the better IMO. The pros of playing in the summer far outweigh the cons. I think it would lead to increased crowds. If you are a "part time supporter" You are far more likely to go to the odd match if the weather is good. I also think more families would go in the summer. I don't care what anyone says. Sitting at Pittodrie in December freezing your balls off watching shit game is not a good experience.

Whilst sitting at Pittodrie in June in the pissing rain watching shit game is a great experience?

I think there is a case for enlarging the league to 14 teams playing each other twice, reduce the fixtures over a season to 26, play all games at 3pm on a Saturday, including cup games. Who gives a fuck about TV deals and the rest of it/ Footba''s gone shite becauase it's forgot it's a spectator sport primarily and secondly because people try to excuse the standard of football.

Here's a thought for you.

Grass doesn't grow in the winter, so when exactly do you envisage pitches getting a chance to recover from the wear and tear of the season?

I will say that I'm nae a gardener and I'm maybe talking complete bollox, but go to Inverdee just now and the goalmouths are fenced aff for ground repairs.

Throw seed doon in November when the season ends. Good idea.

• Upvote 1

fitba is much easier to play with the sun on your back, the fans can have barbeques in the new facilities milne is going to provide at loriston, nice thought.

summer football would give the club an oppurtunity to make the dons THEE place to be at the weekend. an outdoor bar, music and food. keep the mums happy with kids' games. 50/50 keep everybody happy.

nothing for the away fans :)

but winter fitba has its moments. going miles away on a hellish weeknight away, and winning, is up there.

100% no brainer. Start in late March and end in early November.

Regarding the Euros and World Cup, we'd know the previous Nov whether we have qualified or not. If we don't, we play right through June; if we do, then we shut down in June and start the season a bit earlier and end a bit later.

Problem would arise as to how we integrate the first season; we'd need to start next season in July and finish it in March then fire straight into this new summer format (March to November)

Fuck tradition, this is the way ahead.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

100% no brainer. Start in late March and end in early November.

Regarding the Euros and World Cup, we'd know the previous Nov whether we have qualified or not. If we don't, we play right through June; if we do, then we shut down in June and start the season a bit earlier and end a bit later.

Problem would arise as to how we integrate the first season; we'd need to start next season in July and finish it in March then fire straight into this new summer format (March to November)

Fuck tradition, this is the way ahead.

People said that about kick off times. "It was 3pm only because of the Saturday am working man". What did we get? 12pm Saturday dinnertime, 4pm in Kilmarnock on Easter Sunday, 4.05pm in Hamilton on an English bank holiday Monday.

Summer football for school children, yes, but for our professional game? Not a chance.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Kelt that other sporting calendars should have no bearing on the decision. However I also happen to think ollie is probably right a full summer season is a step too far for me.

If we has any decent leadership in our game it think a good compromise could be thought up.

Summer season for all age group football.

Senior season starting first Saturday in July with 2 "mini" breaks in winter. Breaks could be first 2 weeks in December then back playing over the festive period before a 3 week break in January (after new years games).

Players could have 2 weeks holiday in December before coming back to a busy festive calendar. Then in January clubs could take players away for warm weather training to prepare for the season run in.

I keep hearing this... that, "Och there's gowf/tennis/cricket/jolly hockey sticks in the summer." as an argument against Summer football.

Personally I give not one flat fuck about any of those 'sports' and would no more watch tennis than I'd hack my cock off with a spoon. Let them play their shit excuses for sports in the winter, and we'll play fitba in the summer.

I agree with Kelt that other sporting calendars should have no bearing on the decision.

The problem with Kelt's arguemnt is he's addressing a question that wasn't asked. Yes, I'm sure as a TV viewer, he's not going to watch golf/tennis rather than fitba. However the point being made, and one I agree with and always made against summer fitba, was that people have other things to do in summer, in particular, in Scotland, that means golf, and playing golf, not watching it instead. There's no doubt golf is a mssive conflict of interest for many fans here, I certainly would be playing rather than going to Pittodrie if there was a choice, and I know that would be the same for most of my golfing acquaitances.

The supplementary question thereafter though is, how many alternative fans would you attract to compensate? Here I think it's a no-brainer, watch in shirt sleeves, or wrapped up like an eskimo? TV money, for all the ills that it's brought, would of course be a big winner in the summer scenario, with no major football league to compete against, we'd have real pulling power, fuick sakes even rugby fucking league, a no mark sport for the north west of England, gets a bigger contract than the current SPL, for one reason only, there's nothing else on TV.

Whilst sitting at Pittodrie in June in the pissing rain watching shit game is a great experience?

Nope, but then most of the time you won't be sitting in the pissing rain in June, whereas most of the time you wil be freezing your ba's aff in December.

Grass doesn't grow in the winter, so when exactly do you envisage pitches getting a chance to recover from the wear and tear of the season?

I will say that I'm nae a gardener and I'm maybe talking complete bollox, but go to Inverdee just now and the goalmouths are fenced aff for ground repairs.

Wear and tear is exacerbated over winter becasue it never recovers becasue it's not growing. The pitch is only ever used for the 90 minutes of match days, if the games are played Mar-Oct/Nov, then it is continually growing. Grass is very resilient as long as it can grow. the pitch argument is a non-starter.

People said that about kick off times. "It was 3pm only because of the Saturday am working man". What did we get? 12pm Saturday dinnertime, 4pm in Kilmarnock on Easter Sunday, 4.05pm in Hamilton on an English bank holiday Monday.

Summer football for school children, yes, but for our professional game? Not a chance.

Summer football wouldn't have those stupid times though would it? We onl yget those ridiculous timesbecasue we have to play second fiddle to the guffs on TV, in summer we'd be the main attraction. There would still be the evil of TV, just not at those horrible times.

Should have happened ages ago.

It represents absolute common sense.

Playing football in a Scottish winter is absolutely ludicrous.

Then folk moan it's shite!

No fucking wonder.

Nothing is done with the greater good in mind in Scotland, as a country, never mind in football.

• Upvote 1

Start the season couple of weeks earlier than normal, finish the season a couple of weeks later, have 4 weeks off for a mid season break after the New Year fixtures are concluded, resulting in more games played in the so called spring / summer months, a winter break in January when everyone is skint.

Fuck it - I'm going to go with no football in Summer or Winter. 14 teams playing each other twice is 26 games. 13 weeks on, 13 weeks off, 13 weeks on, 13 weeks off means decent breaks for summer and winter. Could adjust to 16 weeks on 10 off to give some weeks for cup/international breaks. Rest of cup games could be mid week.

It's not just the time of the year that makes the games gash - it is the amount of them. I don't like the argument that more games are needed to raise more income. You can charge more if the quality offered is better. I would happily pay more to watch fewer matches that are of higher quality. Annual cost would still be the same. Quality over quantity.

A plan that most others will no doubt hate, but works for me. Leaves plenty of time for other shite things in life.

Grass can still grow in winter, the amount depends on how shit a winter it is, but it would recover much better after a game in summer, so a game that would have been played in winter that would have wrecked the pitch in winter now happens in summer, and even if its wet and the pitch gets cut up, it will recover much quicker, so the overall effect I believe would be the pitches would in better overall condition.

Less money would be spent on flood lighting which would save every team in Scotland money.