Best Player In Europe

Not cos of the Liverpool connection?

Dont see how they can pick anybody other than Messi or Ronaldo?

ronaldo is the easy choice. messi is nt in this list as its european players and not european based players.

messi is lightyears ahead of ronaldo.

for this list i plumped for drogba.

probably been the most effective centre forward in england for the past 20 years and turns up in the big games.

chelsea wouldnt have won the c.l. this year without him.

his contribution to his club this year outstrip any otehr player IMO.

ronaldo is the easy choice. messi is nt in this list as its european players and not european based players.

probably been the most effective centre forward in england for the past 20 years and turns up in the big games.

Messi is on the list. Drogba is only European based too.

Messi has to and will win but for outside the box shouts I'll say Ibramovic or Kompany.

Messi is on the list. Drogba is only European based too.

Messi has to and will win but for outside the box shouts I'll say Ibramovic or Kompany.

oh youre right. how stupid am i.

well messi is ten times as good as the next best player. so it really should be him.

but sometimes these award go to an important player in a successful team and as barca werent successful last season it could well go to someone else.

You mean pick the obvious ones who score goals but miss out the guys who do the hard work in midfield and pick the passes to feed a player like Ronaldo?

Out of the box as I say.

Totally agree with you. Messi and Ronaldo are the easy and most obvious choices, but players like Alonso, Ozil, Xavi and Iniesta deserve a huge amount of recognition based on the way they control games. I read an article recently that showed how Ronaldo relies on Ozil's assists more often than Messi does on those of Xavi and Iniesta. Just goes to show how important these midfielders are to the team.

Totally agree with you. Messi and Ronaldo are the easy and most obvious choices, but players like Alonso, Ozil, Xavi and Iniesta deserve a huge amount of recognition based on the way they control games. I read an article recently that showed how Ronaldo relies on Ozil's assists more often than Messi does on those of Xavi and Iniesta. Just goes to show how important these midfielders are to the team.

No the award for best player in Europe should go to the best player in Europe.

Zidane was winning this award a few years back, and he's a midfielder, go back to 2006 and Cannavaro was winning it and he's a defender. Just cos its the most obvious choice doesn't mean it not the right one - how can you argue that somebody that scored over 80 goals in a season, the most ever (in top class eurpoean football) isnt player of the year?

Drogba had a poor season aside from the end of it. Alonso is a cracking player and had a brilliant season - ask any Real Madrid fan who their player of the year would be and do you think they would choose him over Ronaldo. No chance. Likewise Ozil.

Iniesta is the choice for me. I know all of the arguments for messi but Barca don't function right when iniesta and xavi don't play. Ronaldo is a bit of a one man show. I think Ronaldo still sweep the awards over messi this year though seeing as Barca didn't win anything.

Zidane was winning this award a few years back, and he's a midfielder, go back to 2006 and Cannavaro was winning it and he's a defender. Just cos its the most obvious choice doesn't mean it not the right one - how can you argue that somebody that scored over 80 goals in a season, the most ever (in top class eurpoean football) isnt player of the year?

Drogba had a poor season aside from the end of it. Alonso is a cracking player and had a brilliant season - ask any Real Madrid fan who their player of the year would be and do you think they would choose him over Ronaldo. No chance. Likewise Ozil.

maybe so jonty.

but when cheslea needed him, he was there. the same canna be said of ronaldo. even messi.

of course thats just looking at it from a team honours perspective.

messis goal scoring in a top league and in europe puts him thhere from an individual standpoint

Show me where I said Messi shouldn't win it.

I was picking up on what Roberto said about what these midfielders do tends to be overshadowed. And with what they do, Ronaldo and Messi are reliant on it. I was never taking away anything from Messi or Ronaldo's achievements, though. Think you have the wrong end of the stick here.

When Manchester United lost to Barcelona in the Rome CL final, Rooney commented that they had lost to the best player in the world. Not Messi, Iniesta. Rooney recognised that they were played off the park by an outstanding midfielder. Incidentally, a midfielder who played with a tear in his thigh muscle that night.

For what it's worth I think Messi is the best of all time. I was never entering into a debate of him not deserving the award.

Show me where I said Messi shouldn't win it.

I was picking up on what Roberto said about what these midfielders do tends to be overshadowed. And with what they do, Ronaldo and Messi are reliant on it. I was never taking away anything from Messi or Ronaldo's achievements, though. Think you have the wrong end of the stick here.

When Manchester United lost to Barcelona in the Rome CL final, Rooney commented that they had lost to the best player in the world. Not Messi, Iniesta. Rooney recognised that they were played off the park by an outstanding midfielder. Incidentally, a midfielder who played with a tear in his thigh muscle that night.

For what it's worth I think Messi is the best of all time. I was never entering into a debate of him not deserving the award.

So do you think Zidane at his peak would be overshadowed by Messi?

So do you think Zidane at his peak would be overshadowed by Messi?

I take it we are talking about Messi at his peak too then? In which case, I'd say yes he would overshadow him. See your point about the number of goals Messi scored this year.

Again, my point was not in relation to Messi potentially winning the award, but in agreement of Roberto's point that midfielders (at the moment) do not get enough recognition.

I think you're reading too much into what I said.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Drogba's record in cup finals is incredible. Shocking ego and massive sulk though and in the last few seasons only seemed to really apply himself in the big games. Did he not try and take a pen from Lampard (who was down to take it) in the last game of a season when Chelsea had to win to have a chance of winning the league, just so he could be top scorer for that season? Something like that anyway. Probably why he was down to take the 5th pen in the champions league final.

• 4 weeks later...