Offshore Jobs

Right i need a bit of advice from all the offshore lads on this board. Looking to get my foot in the door at a company that works offshore but have no experience and little in the way of qualifications . I'm 22 years old and have been stuck in a deadend office job for the past 5 years and have had enough. I do have a forklift license if something like that would be of use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Knowing someone high up in an oil/service company is your best bet min

Other than that, put yourself through your BOSIET (Survival) and Greenhand Courses then get your CV to a recruitment agency

http://www.opito.com/uk/library/industry_training_standards/offshore_drilling_industry_green_hand_standard.pdf

Cheers Mobby that gives me something to start with anyway. My auld boy actually works for Halliburton as a cementer but is offshore at the minute and doesn't know that am intending on leaving my current job.

What has stopped me asking him before was the fact that i really do have NO qualifications and even with his help i thought i wouldn't get anywhere.

Knowing someone high up in an oil/service company is your best bet min

Other than that, put yourself through your BOSIET (Survival) and Greenhand Courses then get your CV to a recruitment agency

http://www.opito.com...nd_standard.pdf

Exactly what someone in my department has done. She has no offshore or any sort of engineering experience. She does have a degree though but it is in an arts based subject I'm assuming. She wants a change of scene due to personal reasons and probably hates her boss.

Anyway she got told that she can come offshore as those folk that do domestic chores - can't remember what they are called. It's a pay cut to begin with but the experience should get her foot in the door to do admin work. She has her CVs in agencies too.

Rooster,

If yer old man works for Halliburton then yer half way there, get him to get you a trainee cementer job, you probably won't even need an interview, they take on some right numpties. If you don't fancy cementing then maybe think of wireline or something like that, yer old man should be able to get your foot in the door.

Do a couple years on wireline then become a service hand like mobby, good money for doing feck all work.

Then buy an EVO and spend your down time taking coke and shagging hookers.

You don't need any quals to start as a roustabout - just be prepared to do shit jobs. If you're any good you'll be a roughneck after a couple of swings anyway.

Anyway, don't go offshore - get a job in B&Q. You can't thieve anything from an oil-rig, they search your baggage. Loads of stuff to chore at B&Q.

Rooster,

If yer old man works for Halliburton then yer half way there, get him to get you a trainee cementer job, you probably won't even need an interview, they take on some right numpties. If you don't fancy cementing then maybe think of wireline or something like that, yer old man should be able to get your foot in the door.

Do a couple years on wireline then become a service hand like mobby, good money for doing feck all work.

Then buy an EVO and spend your down time taking coke and shagging hookers.

Cheers Daytripping,

i'll have a word with the old man fan he is back onshore. Will be 5 years in November i have been stuck behind this desk and am fed up. Work for a fishing company here in the Broch and the industry is going one way and that's down and i want out now before its too late.

Get yer CV in to all the service companies especially Hallies if yer old man works there. Cementers love a trainee, you go offshore and any cementer that has had a trainee has the most clean and freshly painted unit in the business.

Other than that you have the likes of Schlumberger who train their personnel very well but treat them like shite. Weatherford, BJ/Baker Hughes as a casing hand (screw one large piece into another) Nae sure if expro still do Wire/Slick line etc but they are a good start and the work isnae too hard.

But if ye can wank yerself to sleep and dinna mind gettin caught every couple o days then the offshore life is for You its just gettin there thats the hard part as you already know

Cheers Daytripping,

i'll have a word with the old man fan he is back onshore. Will be 5 years in November i have been stuck behind this desk and am fed up. Work for a fishing company here in the Broch and the industry is going one way and that's down and i want out now before its too late.

If yer a dab hand with computers then service company is definitely the way to go. Coiled tubing hands have all sorts o shite to help them through their line of work and most of it is on Computer. Hallies do that too along with BJ, Qserv, Schlum and Weatherford (although the latter not so much now) and most pay rather handsomely too ;)

• 4 months later...

Afternoon lads, A wee update on my situation. Completed my BOSIET and MIST courses last month and also completed my stage 1 Banksman & slinging with Petrofac.

Been firing my CV to companies since i completed the course and was wondering if any of you lad's know of any companies looking for guys at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rooster

Afternoon lads, A wee update on my situation. Completed my BOSIET and MIST courses last month and also completed my stage 1 Banksman & slinging with Petrofac.

Been firing my CV to companies since i completed the course and was wondering if any of you lad's know of any companies looking for guys at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rooster

I believe KCA Deutag and Archer are taking guys on give them a shout

Rooster

Agencies are always the best starting point,

Atlantic, Global, OMS, Team Recruitment, LA Recruitment, Rigman, RGB, Tulloch and interservices to name but a few.

Your still young, apply for a technician position in some Oil company and graft for a year to get some experience under your belt? Seems the easiest way for most in your situation, not much companies want to gamble on someone they dont know. Like most say, halliburton always take on heaps of cementers - seen about 60 come through the workshop I currently work this year alone. Expro normally take on wireline technicians for their workshop quite often and they like to progress them offshore when they are ready. Wireline also leads you on nicely to work as a service hand later on also, basically sit offshore for 3 weeks, do a days work and pack up.