Taking Up Golf

Looking to take up the sport again, did use to play it about 10 years ago although completely out of touch with it now.

What should I be looking for when buying clubs, I don't really fancy paying crazy prices as it might be something I loose interest in relatively quickly.

Are second hand clubs worth buying?

Does anyone have second hand clubs for sale?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I took up golf for the first time last summer. Bought myself a cheap set of clubs from Sports Direct (Dunlop). Just wanted to see whether I would stick at it. I did so I upgraded my irons and bag for the start of this season. Still hittin the same cheap woods but next stage is to replace them. I know I will stick it now so don't mind splashing the cash now.

Admittedly I did play in Aberdeenshire so it was full of farmers, where do you play?

Still want to give golf another chance.

As a part time golfer myself with maybe two or three rounds played per year I dinna think it matters how good or bad your clubs are to begin with.

I just bought a set off a mate for 50 quid and fire away with them. Couldn't tell you the make or anything but they do the job. It's not as if I'm away playing in competitions. It's just something to pass a few hours every now and again. If I was to get seriously into it I'd consider something abit more fancy but for now bog standard non fancy Dan clubs are just fine.

Oh and bowls is bad for your back and your posture. Enjoyable but not healthy.

Avoid. :thumbs:

• Upvote 1

Take up bowls instead, best thing I did ditching the clubs

I've played bowls for 20 odd years now. Started when I was 15 and agree its a great game. Been fairly successful aswell, won the district top ten twice,national top ten once, represented the northern counties numerous times winning the Hamilton trophy once, qualified for Ayr three times but played poorly each time.

What club do you play for Stoney? Might have played against you before.

I've played bowls for 20 odd years now. Started when I was 15 and agree its a great game. Been fairly successful aswell, won the district top ten twice,national top ten once, represented the northern counties numerous times winning the Hamilton trophy once, qualified for Ayr three times but played poorly each time.

What club do you play for Stoney? Might have played against you before.

Won more than me thats for sure, we were runners up in our top 10 sunday. Pretty gutted as we had a blinder in the morning game. Only played twice for the ba but havnt put myself up in a long time, will be going for trials next year.

Im at whitehall mate, yourself?

Won more than me thats for sure, we were runners up in our top 10 sunday. Pretty gutted as we had a blinder in the morning game. Only played twice for the ba but havnt put myself up in a long time, will be going for trials next year.

Im at whitehall mate, yourself?

I'm Fraser Park mate. Haven't played seriously though for 5 years now. Club politics and shift work kinda buggered things up for me. Got a Mon-Fri job now and hopefully a new committee next year will see Bonzo back in the groove.

Hard lines in your top ten mate,its a good format the top ten.

How's your green playing? Mines is heavy as a whores heart.

I'm in a similar position fancy taking up golf again but might lose interest after a while.

Dunlop Tour TP12 Graphite Golf Set

Anyone know if this sort of set of clubs are any good? I know they're relatively cheap but would they do?

back on topic - a decent starter set is all you need. A Dunlop graphite starter set however falls below that benchmark. Unless your a semi-crippled auld cunt, or a wifey, dinna piss about getting shitey graphite, just a normal steel set of Wilsons for example is fine. :thumbup1:

I'm Fraser Park mate. Haven't played seriously though for 5 years now. Club politics and shift work kinda buggered things up for me. Got a Mon-Fri job now and hopefully a new committee next year will see Bonzo back in the groove.

Hard lines in your top ten mate,its a good format the top ten.

How's your green playing? Mines is heavy as a whores heart.

Yeah I read about that on the bowls forum, pretty shite like. County team suffered a bit too I think.

Aye its brilliant, been playing the singles mostly over the years so it was good to have some company this year haha

Same mate they save it for the tournie, in aug. Its shite

back on topic - a decent starter set is all you need. A Dunlop graphite starter set however falls below that benchmark. Unless your a semi-crippled auld cunt, or a wifey, dinna piss about getting shitey graphite, just a normal steel set of Wilsons for example is fine. :thumbup1:

Cool, will keep my eye on Ebay. What sort of price should I be looking on spending for a steel set? Don't want to over spend.

Good Set?

What you think of these FS?

For starting out that's pretty good, though a couple of hybrids instead of the 3&4 irons would be even better.

However the clubs themselves apart from the irons are pretty pish, ask him what he'd take for them, but tell him you won't offer anything like

If you're in American Golf or such like anyway have a look at the 2nd hand rack too. I occasionally manage to get to the Edinburgh store at the Braid Hills and they have the advantage of a driving range out the back. They'll tape up a club and let you rip. If you don't want to spend 250 notes on a set just yet buy a decent cavity 7 iron (oversized if you're starting out) and a couple of lessons first. If you have a club to get you safely 200 yds onto the fairway (I'm assuming you're not starting out on Prestwick or Cruden Bay or such like with mega carry's), are confident with a 150 odd yard iron shot, then a wedge and a putter will get you amazingly far. The other 10 clubs just complicate the fecn issue!

Most importantly, enjoy!

EDIT: Oh agree with the comment converting the 3 and 4 iron to rescues. In fact some of the manufacturers do a No2 rescue (is it 15deg, canna mind) which'll do the 200yd jobbie I mention above.