The Decline Of Boxing

What do we put this down to? In the 80s boxing was a sport packed with talent and amazing characters. Just seen an American guy on BBC News explaining that a lot of the talent over there is now lost to cage fighting. They have one fighter left in the Olympics and are on the verge of winning zero Olympic boxing medals for the first time ever. That is a mental stat. Surely this needs to be addressed?

What do we put this down to? In the 80s boxing was a sport packed with talent and amazing characters. Just seen an American guy on BBC News explaining that a lot of the talent over there is now lost to cage fighting. They have one fighter left in the Olympics and are on the verge of winning zero Olympic boxing medals for the first time ever. That is a mental stat. Surely this needs to be addressed?

Latter days of Rome... people need crazier and crazier shit to fulfill their need for some kind of release, This is a country where you can't walk down the street with an open beer without getting pounced on by over-zealous uniforms. What in the name of fuck are you going to do with an open beer... seriously?.... drink it without due care and attention?

And if you punch someone in the jaw to settle a dispute then expect to spend six months behind bars.

Boxing doesn't cut it... people want to see some meathead in a cage lose a kidney.

Personally I find cage fighting and MMA to be fucking hilarious.... it's basically a 30 second contest to see who can land the first good punch, kick or bite. Not so much a skill as a game of chance.

Boxing's a sport, but cage fighting satisfies a need. Plus, boxing takes up to 30 minutes to settle... who has the attention span these days to sit through ten 3-minute rounds of disciplined martial arts when they can watch some moron decapitate another moron inside of a minute? To rock music!

In ten years anyone who can read a book with no pictures will be an intellectual.

I drove out to Belladrum last night to pick my bro and his pals up from the festival.

There was one guy who we were all disgusted with. Loud mouth prick that was threatening various taxi drivers. Absolute cunt of a human but seamed to know all of the cops on first name terms. Anyone else would have been arrested.

Got away with it because he was in with the pigs. Fucking huns.

But then think of the cost of going to a boxing match or buying a PPV... Half these hyped matches don't make it past 4 rounds. At least with UFC you know you've likely got up to 3 or 5 rounds of 3-5 minutes - they're not trying to sell you a dummy...

Having said that - I've quite enjoyed the amateur boxing in the Olympics. It's not trying to be anything it's not, before the promoters come in and spoil everything. Professional boxing is about as legit as professional wrestling these days...

the pacquaio bradley result just shows how fucked up it is.

4 world champions, out of them the wbc is the one to win but it's as corrupt as fuck as well.

the ring belt seems to be the only one worth anything.

golden boy and top rank need to pull together and put personal shite aside and work, or they will watch boxing die. who wants to pay for ppv if it's under false pretense.

it's been dodgy for years, but at least the best fought the best and you had fighting champions. 1 true champion is the only way.

Politics and money ruined Boxing. Someone remarked recently that the best fighters, more often than not, don't even fight each other. I'm sure we can all think of examples, but close to home, Amir Khan springs to mind.... he's a good, but unspectacular, boxer who has been carried throughout his career by people like Frank Warren. He was fast-tracked to "World" titles and bypassed the likes of John Murray (who openly challenged him, but whose calls were drowned out by the powers that be) on his way to fighting mediocre fighters for said titles. That he has been found out on more than one occasion (Prescott and his latest 2 fights) is not a surprise.

I watched a bit of it the other night.

One American guy got beat by some Indian guy, I'd love to know how they did the scoring on that. It was truly shocking, the referee even lifted the American guys hand, only for the announcer to say the Indian boy same.

Corrupt as fuck.

an indian boxer. that must be hilarious!

• 3 months later...

The Flintoff boxing match has shown boxing in a very bad light.

Didn't even watch it cause i knew it would be utter bollocks. Between that fight, Hatton's ridiculous comeback and the embarrassment of Audley Harrison it shames the legacy of greats like Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Hagler etc

How was Hattons comeback ridiculous? He only done it for the love of it, if he continued to go on after that defeat then things would have been ridiculous. As for Flintoff, boys a pap, just slapping but takes alot to get in the ring.

Really just think he shouldn't have came back tbh. Did he really have to try and prove something?

Really just think he shouldn't have came back tbh. Did he really have to try and prove something?

According to himself he did, he thought he could still do it, found out the hard way but it cleared it up for himself, only a few months ago his bird found him in the kitchen with a knife to his wrist.

According to himself he did, he thought he could still do it, found out the hard way but it cleared it up for himself, only a few months ago his bird found him in the kitchen with a knife to his wrist.

Fucking hell. Incredible the decline of even the most profile of sportsmen that it comes to contemplating harming yourself :o

Well then of course it's ridiculous attempting any sort of comeback. He should have been in some sort of clinic.

Mr Kelt.

Not often are you wrong but on this occasion i call you out and put my little winkle on the line and say bullshit.

Not even prodding deep into the game i'll give you Anderson Silva, a magical talent and Jon Jones a complete revelation.

I'm not saying there aren't people who don't have a talent for scrapping, I'm sure this Anderson Silva guy is, in the words of Jimmy Crankie, "Fucking Brilliant" at blootering other people.

My point is that the sport in itself is part of a shift towards a need for short, unsophisticated, shallow, cheap, sensationalist entertainment for the masses, as typified by shite like The X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, This Cunt Can Sing A bit, and, 10 Minutes of Arguing In Front Of A Camera.

If a movie takes more than a few minutes for the first explosion, rape or kerb-stomp to happen then it's going to lose the attention of the majority of under-25s. Fuck the storyline or character development... where's the Tits n 'Splosions?

Boxing's not my favourite sport, not by a long shot... but MMA and Cage Fighting, to me, is just fucking painful. Just wander into town on a Saturday night and watch a couple of lads drunk on shandy swing wildly at each other, film it, and stick it on the telly. Call it Mixed Shandy Scuffling... oh, wait... you have to put the word ULTIMATE at the beginning, or EXTREME.

ULTIMATE EXTREME MIXED SHANDY SCUFFLING, brought to you live from Belmont Street... Leeeeeeets get ready to swing ineeeeeefectually!

Well then of course it's ridiculous attempting any sort of comeback. He should have been in some sort of clinic.

Was more a case of proving to himself he was actually finished, after the Pac fight he thought he was a failure and was fighting against the little man on his shoulder who kept telling him he was a waste and a failure, quite a shame, he done the comeback for the right reasons in my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Was more a case of proving to himself he was actually finished, after the Pac fight he thought he was a failure and was fighting against the little man on his shoulder who kept telling him he was a waste and a failure, quite a shame, he done the comeback for the right reasons in my opinion.

He really needed it proven? He was shot by the time of the Mayweather fight and was getting through the rest on guts alone.

In my opinion he done the comeback as he missed the adulation he was receiving previously. Too interested in being every bodies mate and that's what cost him.

Real shame.

• 4 weeks later...